Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:42 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Sorry for the delay, here are photos extracted from the Perrin WRX oil cooler kit installation manual. Looks like spacer is required to clear the timing cover..

ImagePerrin Sandwich Plate 1 by Peter Tran, on Flickr
ImagePerrin Sandwich Plate 2 by Peter Tran, on Flickr
ImagePerrin Sandwich Plate 3 by Peter Tran, on Flickr

I have spoken to Marcos at Motorsport Connections (MSCN) and he will try help me out.

Cheers,

Pete.

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:32 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

When i did my oil filter relocation for the low mount turbo, i had the take-off come directly off the engine block eith no spacer. It was a Mocal block and the entry exit came off sideway. (looked very similar to tge mocal unit pictured in the perrin picture, except it had no thermostat, and the bottom bit where the gilter would go is a blank cap.) Yes, the oil pipes did interfere with tge timing cover marginally. Because i was tigjt for space, i didnt get a spacer, instead, i just notched the timing cover to clear the hose fittings. Its only the cover, it misses the belt by a long way still.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:23 pm 

Bram wrote:
When i did my oil filter relocation for the low mount turbo, i had the take-off come directly off the engine block eith no spacer. It was a Mocal block and the entry exit came off sideway. (looked very similar to tge mocal unit pictured in the perrin picture, except it had no thermostat, and the bottom bit where the gilter would go is a blank cap.)

Thanks Bram, I think you got the K type? From the Mocal website below:

ImageMocal Take-offs by Peter Tran, on Flickr

Yeah, the Perrin does look like they use a Mocal plate.

Bram wrote:
Yes, the oil pipes did interfere with tge timing cover marginally. Because i was tigjt for space, i didnt get a spacer, instead, i just notched the timing cover to clear the hose fittings. Its only the cover, it misses the belt by a long way still.

Yeah, okay. That's good to know! I'll look into it. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:30 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

My take off is the "K" model puctured above i believe.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:34 pm 

I did also have to make a straw bolt in order to make it work. The OEM straw bolt is obviosly designed for the oil-coolant modine heat exchanger. So once i deleted that, and went straight to a take off for remote filter, then there is no easy bolt arrangement. I got a motorcycle flywheel puller tool from ebay which happened to be the perfect thread etc and used that

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 am 

Bram wrote:
I did also have to make a straw bolt in order to make it work. The OEM straw bolt is obviosly designed for the oil-coolant modine heat exchanger. So once i deleted that, and went straight to a take off for remote filter, then there is no easy bolt arrangement. I got a motorcycle flywheel puller tool from ebay which happened to be the perfect thread etc and used that

Nice work Bram. Did your foz come with an OEM oil-coolant cooler? I'm not too familiar with your model specifically but I don't recall seeing one... All I know is that WRX STIs have this OEM oil-coolant cooler, whereas WRXs do not.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 am 

Yes. All turbo 2.5s do i believe. Its not quite the same as the Sti one though. As at one stage i actually got an sti one to fit a half moon sump.

JDM Spec C engines dont have the modine heat exchanger. They had a proper oil cooler, and the water pumps only have 2 extra ports instead of 3 like the others.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 am 

Hmmm I'll have to take another look... do you have a photo? When I search, I just see the GRB STI OEM oil coolers (pictured below)

Attachment:
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG [ 218.55 KiB | Viewed 46 times ]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:12 am 

Which I don't recall mine having it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:29 am 

Wont have any photos as it was years ago. But i am pretty certain that all the 2.5L turbo have the oil to coolant heat exchanger. But there are different versions of the heat exchanger over different years/models. With my model for example. In order to remove the square sump, and fit a half moon sump for equal length headers. Then you need the STi version of the heat exchanger, and a slightly different length center bolt. Because the forester version is too short and fat or something.

On my model, above the heat exchanger there was also an extra adapter plate thing that slightly angled the heat exchanger. But you can undo that and turf it if yours has it.

The biggest hurdle you will have if you are removing the oil-water heat exchanger all together is getting a replacement center bolt. Without the heat exchanger, the bolt is way too long. That is why I had to get a motorcycle flywheel puller bolt and mod it. And probably why the perrin kit comes with a spacer included. Its probs easier for perrin to make a spacer, than it is to make a short center bolt.

Also, that picture you showed above is explaining how to bypass the coolant. Another option is to use a Spec C water pump. It doesnt have the extra port. Then you simply get another coolant passage threaded core plug to plug up the other end of the hose. My drysump kot came with a Spec C water pump included because the drysump is in the way.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next