Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Turbo upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:49 pm 

Vehicle: 2001 GT forester

Hi , I have a 2001 Gt Foz just wondering what’s the best turbo to upgrade to ? Cheers

Post subject: Re: Turbo upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 pm 

I Say: Keep the hammer down
Vehicle: 02GT/6MT/Modtown

Welcome :waves:

Plenty of choices. TD04L from a wrx or a multitude of vf series turbo's from the sti models, vf23, 24, 29, 30, 34, 39, 41, 43 etc. Bunch of aftermarket as well

Always getting logged out? Drop the .au, ozfoz.com.au

Wanted to buy: Rays Volk CE28N 17x8 +44 PCD5x100 10 spoke, Qty: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

As mentioned there are lots of bolt on options. The question for you is how quickly do you want to be rebuilding the motor and drive train. If we are talking about a gt with over 200,000km i would be very hesitant about going any larger then a td04 with a conservative tune.

If you are happy to spend money then you can decide if you want stock location turbo and tmic(typically a vf turbo/...vf34 is popular )

or get serious with a custom twist mount turbo/ fmic and stand alone ecu type setup. 6sp conversion, 2.2L.......

You should be able to find the link to subaru turbos on the forum, then you have to find whats for sale out there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:35 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Probs too big for a stockish GT / street GT, but i have blouch dom 2.5 forsale. Would be pretty good on a heavy modded / built GT with all the support mods.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 pm 

I Say: The flow, go with it my children.
Vehicle: Gold 02 GT

Each to their own but I don't see any point going smaller than a VF, the supporting mods are pretty much the same as for a td04 and both need a tune to deliver results.

My car is now 190km has been on a vf24 since 160km. I don't launch it but otherwise I'm not shy about showing it plenty of wide open throttle + 18psi and I've had no problems, I get 550-600km to a tank and the car absolutely hauls.

Only downside of the VF is that I don't make any boost till 3k rpm but I like it that way, it gives the engine character. The shove in the back as the boost comes on is incredible.

Plus VF's are ball bearing so they make an amazing sound kind of like a siren as they come onto boost.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:44 am 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Yeh mines a 2.5 but vf 34 here to ,bout 300 thousand ks on stock motor , box and diff . Bout 200 atw , Runs like an absolute champ , done head gaskets (260 thou ) but so has the wife's stock n/ a liberty ..
If you drive anything with no respect and don't look after it you'll probably break something in no time no matter what turbos in it
The tuned td was good with the mods I had, was sorta quick and responsive , especially coming from a stock GT to an xt but had no real punch and didn't really pull your head back ( 3" tbe , intake and cooler ) the vf drives better in every way i reckon - Got boost by 3 k here ,
The td o4 is probably the cheapest / easiest turbo to upgrade to but for a stock ej the vf series is one of the best - they are a factory subaru turbo ..
As said all comes down to budget and goals ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:58 am 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

With a 2001 GT you could fit a VF30, VF34 or VF35 and run it off wastegate pressure until you can get it tuned no probs.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]