Change font size
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 15 of 18   [ 176 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yowie's SH turbo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

As foreshadowed earlier, the convenience of draining the head-breather's catch can has had some more attention by extending the drain hose to a more accessible place.

Here is the Kap catch can (for head breathers) down near the radiator & under the OEM snorkel:-

Here is the new extended hose after the ball valve:-

With the OEM under-tray back on it all looks normal on the Island of Sodor:-

But one of the access panels now opens to reveal the draining end:-

Draining the Head Breathers can requires a bit of yoga to position the catching container with one hand and manipulate the ball valve with the other, but is now much easier than removing the under-tray. A cold exhaust manifold is recommended.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 am 

Speaking of crank case fluid that isn't oil, I noticed some yellow foam had accumulated under the oil-filler cap after nearly 5000kms since the switch to E85 and the tune.

Presumably the oil-filler pipe and cap will accumulate condensation on account of being a (the?) high point on the engine.

Some of the foam wiped out easily, but there was some yellow rubbish visible further down with the aid of a work-light.

Helpfully, the oil-filler tube removes easily with three bolts once the battery is removed out of the way:-

Inside the cam cover itself seemed ok from what little I could see:-

Here's that nasty yellow foam. It blasted out pretty much straight away with the garden hose:-

I then set about removing some of the usual baked-on brown residue with some brake cleaner, a toothbrush and a flexible grabber & rag as a "push through". "Throttle body and carby cleaner" would have shifted the residue instantly, but I was a bit worried about its effects on the plastic tube and rubber seals. It ended up cleaning up alright with brake cleaner, although probably not to a Tobyo standard. :mrgreen:

I'll keep an eye on this Oil-filler tube accumulation thing. Hopefully it was a one-off with all the car has probably been through in the switch to E85 (eg more "cold-start & stay cold" than with the current driving pattern?).

I'm tempted to open the filler cap each night when I get home so steam can escape, but I don't want to deplete the bonnet-strut gas in 3 months either.

At least it's easy to inspect and clean if/when needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:13 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

you weren't joking about the train set :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:25 pm 

Tobyo wrote:
you weren't joking about the train set :shock:

The undercarriage won't clear the train set if the car is carrying too much. We found this out on our "loaded up" return from bunnings one day. Not too much damage done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 pm 

I changed my oil at 4000kms (rather than the usual 5000) at the end of July because, after consuming too many internet rumours about oil life on E85, I was keen to see some oil test results ( http://www.e-monitor.com.au/ ) and not "run too long" on oil that might be getting to unacceptable levels of fuel dilution and water.

Results are as follows. April 2017 was just before the E85 conversion. July was 4000kms after. Oil is Penrite Enviro+ GF 5w30 for both tests. That oil claims to be E85 compatible for daily/road use:-

Metals (ppm)......................July.............April
Aluminium (Al)......................6 ...............5
Copper (Cu)..........................8................7
Chromium (Cr)......................2................3
Iron (Fe).............................25...............24
Lead (Pb)...........................<1.................1
Tin (Sn).............................<1...............<1

Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si)..........................14................16
Sodium (Na)........................ 4 ................3

Physical Tests
Water (% by crackle)...........<0.05..........<0.05
Viscosity (cSt,40°C)...............57..............63
PQ Index..............................14..............<10
Fuel.................................Neg.............Neg

As you can see, everything is still in normal range. Specifically, neither water or fuel* dilution seems to be a problem.

[*Assuming that they are testing for ethanol rather than just petrol, OR that the viscosity rating is an ok substitute for such issues. I should call them next week to clarify]

As such, the Penrite Enviro+ GF 5w30 seems to be a good match for E85 and presumably current driving habits (minimizing "stay cold" short trips) and the dual catch can setup is working ok.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:09 pm 

I put the front of the car up on ramps last weekend to check a few things underneath. I found that the rear bushes of the lower control arms were cracked.

Driver's side:-

Passenger side:-

I took the car in to Fulcrum Suspension (Yeerongpilly) who checked a few things out and recommended:-

1. replacement lower control arms for more caster (from both the arm design and the offset bushing within it) - http://www.superpro.com.au/find/superpr ... 01393/vid- (don't rely on that link for an exact fitment guarantee, it's just indicative).

When the cost of labour for pressing out & replacing the cracked bushing is taken into account, the replacement lower control arms are almost the same cost.

The idea is to get more caster. Hopefully it isn't overkill.

2. "sliced pineapple" subframe bushings to tighten up the rear end http://www.superpro.com.au/find/superpr ... 00866/vid-

3. Reconditioning the loose rear ball joints (not sure exactly where yet) with a special resin-based process. Comes with a 5-year warranty and is significantly cheaper than a set of OEM replacement control arms (?)

The car must stay at standard height for the time being, so the idea is to work with the available options to tighten things up and reduce the understeer.

A thicker front swaybar was considered but put to one side for the time being while we see what more castor & less understeer does to the overall handling.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Thats great you did the pre and post oil tests. Facts and science are great to dispel online discussions where sometimes they are based on little or no evidence. :ok:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:45 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Yowie wrote:
I put the front of the car up on ramps last weekend to check a few things underneath. I found that the rear bushes of the lower control arms were cracked.

Driver's side:-

[img]https&#58;//lh3&#46;googleusercontent&#46;com/vq38QNpmSl8d4ki2ttcmezX47EI-C7rvd_1HJ9LsgInESLSKtPgVYM2Fhq7-h0I0iOdvZScFSRSLJV257Mtuws9ECT4YizNzjKk4zyc7bblm7SMJrcxFqxYXvDvtuUaR4Sxw9OCoAe0n35_PKCZYJyDey7GnEWJWr1avx9PKR1DWmaotDTRLgkrsZXVwk78LktCVNT5ZvtXWChTxLiMJeSTn_3zLYrkC2m6pTLMY2qVH6d2vbhrsnc6jLlmYpHJwMayN3Pz9ZpVjNKYlHtejji_nuTeR_toiuxII0af41J2ZQEqED613vDs6oCduvFVr8_IiTHUeTAh337h6JxLYlDaCizi9_gLXwNgmTuym_oGakyRi-5EZsmCaAqCwRUXCj9BqtD542QdqLjTA0--QJb-LYUx2tKeQwC1D0Z8Xtd2vhYDUqm7Gr5kd11tSoH5EaHccHHoS6AVuDtpWWt1qLdFhX7uoFt-um33AEtjhE0am_spXSj5JVvQbwe1mUfQ-wHEGUauCKHf8nFY_d0DdwuXXOqolXkYaWiMgkaklqEj68ys4AflXl2xeIL-SjS9KAOj0sn94rf39bpnTlJo3Wzu57JJkqjiIKtC3SZakkYLytO34tSwb=w1499-h843-no[/img]

Passenger side:-

[img]https&#58;//lh3&#46;googleusercontent&#46;com/7QSj1-IZ5Mf43FfOUINiJ9PdaIjbafdcA9cC1lA_OAOcDxbzC7jrWyyfXUxAfWKkHiYVlxhfPTMBZmWEZCP0uNV0YiwUPrDUUNHziewHzmrLx3jgok8Vp1xq2BbcYSVN-kQGmensjK4JhgoSy7M4KEKATCb6XfpoJpqOTNEecfTsSPpqgSBXJUPHrtI8vAl8453glWcDXCMeqRpi4k8AECRZ_kj1i_kurBZ-le4gTNewj1MBRkIL2xiGzvm3CYTMWikBuXxaUfejgHSBzEwRi8BSuYB920ejkNc7uZXXg2Myv-XqRALElr28BldCX1ij_JGyXcHzxAteiUt21N38gW7ym13nrpcv97XnvppaDFa7axBt7HlIZcIftbL7PE3HGDsjpN2zCSA2r-Y0p8eS648ZI1KtEiQozWKY6KH0P0WNsBnr1wsaBZistFiO6zX06LFmHAjtyzSP4FBIh6ufGYWScXGXhYKZCXIjldnz2aBg5reOn8KhoO1GRAlq0HIR_aDV37fexSF9QoyfOW4FapUCpyIo5OcB4KQ_enVdMjG86mlqFQRJWtx2cJHvUyH1fYGmJ2yYLBrnev39_vUMIgo2faYznx7k9ptU-UAG848kGfRy_B2o=w1499-h843-no[/img]

I took the car in to Fulcrum Suspension (Yeerongpilly) who checked a few things out and recommended:-

1. replacement lower control arms for more caster (from both the arm design and the offset bushing within it) - http://www.superpro.com.au/find/superpr ... 01393/vid- (don't rely on that link for an exact fitment guarantee, it's just indicative).

When the cost of labour for pressing out & replacing the cracked bushing is taken into account, the replacement lower control arms are almost the same cost.

The idea is to get more caster. Hopefully it isn't overkill.

2. "sliced pineapple" subframe bushings to tighten up the rear end http://www.superpro.com.au/find/superpr ... 00866/vid-

3. Reconditioning the loose rear ball joints (not sure exactly where yet) with a special resin-based process. Comes with a 5-year warranty and is significantly cheaper than a set of OEM replacement control arms (?)

The car must stay at standard height for the time being, so the idea is to work with the available options to tighten things up and reduce the understeer.

A thicker front swaybar was considered but put to one side for the time being while we see what more castor & less understeer does to the overall handling.

I am interested to hear how these things change the handling of your car.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

I like how you did tests before and after! :thumbs:

If the replacement arms are almost the same price, just get them! Haha I would have thought reusing the stock arms would be cheaper, as there would still be labour pressing in the new bushes?

Let me know what you think of the Superpro LCAs if you go down that route; I did consider getting them, for the fronts but especially the rears (to correct the massive negative camber).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:11 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

In terms of understeer, the caster bushes will help you turn in better and the front sway bar apparently would help you with understeer too (depending what size you have already; I'm yet to test out my front sway bar on track). I don't know much about the pineapple slices but I would think they would help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 15 of 18   [ 176 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next