It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GCEBE - Abrahams MY98 GC8
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:28 pm 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

ABEIQ wrote:
**** thats pretty lucky! ive heard heaps of stories of oil soaking into the headers and turning into a candle!

I think that is more a matter of long term oil leaks not being addressed and the oil having time to penetrate the wrap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:08 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

be_oh_be wrote:
ABEIQ wrote:
**** thats pretty lucky! ive heard heaps of stories of oil soaking into the headers and turning into a candle!

I think that is more a matter of long term oil leaks not being addressed and the oil having time to penetrate the wrap.

When i had a crash a few years ago my oil cooler hose split and spilt oil onto the headers with wrap. They caught fire almost instantaneously. Luckily not a large amount of oil went on the headers, and luckily i was able to put it out with my KAP fire extinguiser. Although hot oil on hot headers without wrap would probably burn too. I think the bigger issue is the potential for the wrap to hold the oil instead of it falling away.

And this is one of the reasons why i now use sheethot instead of wrap. (That and wrap being sh1t to apply, and also literally turning to sh1t after a year or two of proper use.)

After trying wrap a few times and now sheethot a couple of times, I dont really understand why anyone would even bother with wrap. Other than simply not knowing about better products that are available. Probably because wrapping has been so prolifficly used in the past by people and is spread all over the internet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:52 pm 

Vehicle: NONE

wow bram! i just looked into sheethot, looks sick, do you have any pics of it on your headers, how you applied it etc. Where did it come from and how much did it cost btw?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:54 pm 

I also went for a drive today. still can feel the bump in the pedal -_- im going to try and get my car up on stands tonight and make sure everything is tight! it is only happening on odd down shifts and when im a bit rough in first when taking off, i have a feeling something might be loose!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:16 pm 

So, i spent some time driving my car lately and completely forgot about the pedal feedback issue, i guess the more i concentrate on it, the more i notice it, i havent really noticed it in the past few days, although i havent been on a decent drive yet.

I also went to pick and payless the other day and picked up some of the pedal stopper rubber pieces from a few manual cars because i noticed mine were munched, below is the worst, i guess 19 years of use is really starting to show ahaha.

A mate of mine picked up some plastic polish from supercheap and took to his cluster, it came out REALLY well, i decided i would give my cluster a go with meguiars ultimate polish which is very fine and normally used for removing light swirl marks in paint, it cam out AMAZING! the cluster looked caca before, it had grime and lots of fine scratches, i wasnt able to get our the deep scratches by hand, but the improvement is great enough already.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:42 pm 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

Looks good mate.

They really are great little cars.

:thumbs:

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:50 pm 

I Say: Your crazy man. I like you, but your crazy.
Vehicle: V5 STI Type R. MY09 XT. NP300

Wow came out really well, nice work. I'll have to remember that one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:27 pm 

wizz wrote:
Wow came out really well, nice work. I'll have to remember that one.

H-are wrote:
Looks good mate.

They really are great little cars.

:thumbs:

Thanks Guys!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:53 pm 

From about the 3rd month of owning my car, the fog light indicator globe has been out, its pretty frustrating not being able to see if it is on with minimal effort, so i ordered some globes to replace this, I will be selling these globes on here in the next few weeks when more come.

I will also be doing a DIY on this when the globes come :)

So, the short of doing this is:
1. remove trim panels around steering wheel lower
2. remove wiring
3. pop out button
4. locate lower globe in the switch and twist counter clockwise
5. turn over and tap switch module to release globe assembly
6. i had trouble with step 5 so i used a pick tool to remove it :(
7. bend globe leads out of their mounting positions and pull globe out
8. remove rubber boot that is over globe
9. put boot over new globe and insert into mount
10. put cover on new globe and feed globe wires through mounting base. you may need to trim the cover like i had to, this was because my globe was a little shorter then the OEM one.
11. bend wires around mounting base, these run back down the base towards the globe and then back into the base, you will see what i mean from the pics.
12. insert again and test .
13. be happy that you can now see the pretty lights!

Original Globe

New Globe with trimmed boot

New Completed globe install

Thats all for now :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:44 am 

Finally got around to changing my air filter, the old one hadn't been changed at all since owning the car, the previous owner said it was done .. but i dont know how truthful that is. The old one was also a cheap crappy paper one, which was pretty caked up.

Ended up going with an AVO drop in filter which is able to be cleaned with water and an air dry. I was looking into A k&n drop in but didnt want the oil used for these to munch my AFM. The AVO filter is extremely high quality and looks and feels well made.

I purchased this from Lee at AVO australia, shipping was quick and the price was reasonable!

Pics below

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next