Change font size
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: GCEBE - Abrahams MY98 GC8
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 am 

Vehicle: NONE

Hey all, I have been quiet for some time, sadly, i think im going to slow down on the performance mods and keep the car clean and tidy. I'm potentially going to sell my G4+ ECU and VF35 .. but i am yet to decide on that!

I have spent a few dollary doos on bae lately, just small improvements, Rear strut brace and a radiator shroud. The strut brace was a PITA!!! i thought hey, how hard can it be, 45 mins going quick or take my time with a few brews and complete it in 2 hours ..... 3 hours later and 0 beers, i was an unhappy, sore and sober suby owner.

The whole process was so painful for many reasons, most being that i had a pretty short fuse from a stressful day at work and also because i didnt really have much light to work in.

The basics of the install are;
1. Remove rear seat base and back.
2. Remove plastic trims that go around boot opening behind seat back
3. struggle to find somewhere to place everything without damaging them
4. Remove strut top nuts on each side
5. Realise there is one nut on each side that is impossible to easily undo due to seatbelt unit being in the way
6. Give up for 20 minutes
7. Struggle some more and get nuts out
8. Jam strut brace plates into place and bolt back down - realise that wiring loom is in the way, cry a little, remove clips for wiring in boot, unclip most plugs in boot and pull out of the way, cry a lot more
9. bolt strut brace bar into place
10. replace all the gear that i pulled out
11. swear some more
12. spirited drive time

For some reason i didnt take any pics of it completed but i will add some later on, See below for a few pics

Seats out and plastic trim panels removed

Location of strut bolts

PITA Bolt

To be honest, a pretty painful install but it was well worth it, i paid $100ish from ultrex, it fit well, great quality, and gave a noticeable improvement in the rear, i feel like i can push through corners faster and more controlled then before.

Cooling plate/Radiator shroud! Probably my favourite cosmetic and "performance" mod, of which i am yet to test. this was a simple install, pull out radiator brackets and surrounding bolts, place radiator grommets in radiator place plate back in and then install mounts and bolts again. Ive put a few pics of the install below :)

Before

After

Grommets that need to remain in radiator

Thats all for now guys, hit me up if you have any questions

Last edited by ABEIQ on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 pm 

Vehicle: 98 N/A 5MT Foz - 82 BMW E28

You posted the same photo 6 times mate.

My Forester Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:19 pm 

epearce wrote:
You posted the same photo 6 times mate.

Thanks mate -_____- photobucket be damned!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

strut top nuts would be easier if you temporarily removed the rear seat belt inertia reel (usually just one 14mm bolt) to move it out of the way.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 pm 

be_oh_be wrote:
strut top nuts would be easier if you temporarily removed the rear seat belt inertia reel (usually just one 14mm bolt) to move it out of the way.

I was going to, i actually dont think i was thinking very straight. at least i learnt my lesson haha .

Time for an update

Decided to do some more work on the rig. Just a few maintenance items and something a little different ;)

Spent some time on the last public holiday pulling out my Crank and Cam Sensors to clean them, read online that when these get coated in crap, the engine may run rough etc, it wasnt running bad, but cleaning them made it feel a little more punchy and rev happy - although this could be the placebo effect, i would like to think it made a difference :)

Terrible location of the crank sensor

Filthy Crank Sensor

Pretty Gross Cam Sensor

Also spent some time straightening/removing bent intercooler fins, these were horrid, i tried to straighten them but they were pretty much all brittle and snapped off - by snapped off and my removing of them, i mean the 2mm or so that protrudes from the core, please dont flame me for doing this, im pretty sure the tiny bit of material removed wont effect the intercooler nearly as much as having 80% or so of the core blocked as it was before.

Core before

In this picture you can see what i mean by bent fins that are sheared/bent and screwed, only about 2mm as mentioned above

Core After
Although not every fin is 100% dead straight, at least now there is a possibility for some flow of air through the IC instead of the blocked crap from before.

Im going to take the car to work tomorrow so i will see if cleaning up the IC helps at all, i would hope so, Removing the crap fins took around 3 hours to do, i used tweezers and picked pretty much every fin one by one

One last little thing i did was made a new shifter - I know it doesnt have a H pattern and is defectable, but i dont intend on keeping it on for ages its more of a novelty!

I will try and get some better pictures in the morning but for now these will do :)

Hit me up with any questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 am 

Done a tonne of little things lately to the car (not really but you get the idea)

The steering wheel was a little tired and worn, so i picked up a leather repair kit and filled in the cracks, then re-dyed it. It came out better then before .. but eh im not completely happy with it, probably needs to be treated with leather protectant etc after some time, it scuffed pretty easily but maybe that was my fault for not giving it enough time after being completed?

Before, During and after pics.

Cracks at the top of the wheel

Prep sand

Cracks and damage filled to be sanded

finished

A deal also popped up on ebay for a decent paintless dent repair kit (PDR), i gave it a go on one of the smaller dents in my guard, to be honest, this was probably the worst one on the car, the rest are little door dings etc, i just need to spend time on them which i havent yet. The one i had a go at came about 90% out, again, more time = better results.

Before

After - the angle doesnt show how well it came out, still a low spot but great results

I also ended up ordering rear sway bar bushes, these were always pretty tired, i did these over a month ago but never posted about it :(. This was pretty simple with the car on the driveway, Heres a few pics. PS. I have Whiteline HD End links on their way, ebay had a 20% off deal from select sellers inc. sparesbox, picked up the links for $90 ish

Lastly, i had some colour matched paint left from when i did the vent, so i fixed up the cracks and crap in the hood scoop, im pretty pleased with the results, there are a few things i would do different if i did it again, for now this will do, it needs a good polish but i looks 1000% better than the cracked crap it was before, Previously, all the lips on the front of the scoop where it meets the bonnet and where the top scoop entry is was cracked really bad and peeling

Damaged areas sanded

Sanded and primed damaged areas

Second coat of base coat

Finished and fitted to the car :)

Thats it for now guys, im hoping to take the headers in this week to be ceramic coated :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 36 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4