Change font size
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 10   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: FC3S RX-7 dedicated track car... Slow build.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:54 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Sweet. So whats getting welded?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

Prob going to stitch the entire chassis. Plus need to cut the hump out of the drivers floor, plate it up then make mounts for the seat to go at least 100mm lower. I'm 6 foot, and currently have to have my head tilted 45 deg to fit! :( And that's without a helmet. Gotta appreciate that Forester headroom! :thumbs:

You can see the hump here, and the stock seat mounts on top of it. The one visible is the rear mount and the front one is behind the side bar of the cage. It's far from ideal!

And if the tig mode doesn't suck too bad (no pedal and the gas valve is on the torch itself), I'll be doing the whole exhaust, the intake piping and adapting an old HKS 50mm wastegate flange to 50mm vband.

And just whatever is needed by way of brackets etc. I'll most likely grab an AC/DC tig eventually as well, cause tigging is fun, it'll have a pedal and control the gas for me and there'll be a need for alloy.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:32 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

Yeah. I just bought an AC/DC TIG. Soon as you add the AC function, the price goes up significantly. But i figured having both functions probably pretty useful in the long run.

I think you will find the MIG function very handy as a general use welder. TIG - lift start and no controls sounds difficult? And stick? - why even bother when you have MIG function. When i first got my TIG i tried it with no foot pedal plugged in and it actually wasnt too bad. But i did kind of cheat by using a gradual downslope setting, then using the torch button on/off to kinda control the current. So if i wanted less. Id click off, and the downslope would slowly ramp down. Then click on, and the upslope would ramp up. And i used that to play around on some stringers etc. Seemed to work ok. If you dont have features like that, then i think it will be hard work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:17 pm 

Lift starting is no big deal. I practiced it a bit in a welding course recently even though the welder had HF. This does have downslope too, so I'm hoping it's not too bad. No pedal is the major problem I can see in my very limited experience.

I bought this as a mig welder primarily, but I want to keep up the tig practice at least a bit, even if this machine has some downsides. Cigweld 200 AC/DC has all the mods cons for tig and I'll grab one of those later. Plenty of migging to do in the mean time.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:31 am 

The cigweld acdc200 is like a 5k welder. I ended up getting unimig as i couldnt justify cigweld pricing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:46 am 

Bram wrote:
The cigweld acdc200 is like a 5k welder. I ended up getting unimig as i couldnt justify cigweld pricing.

Oh wait... That's the Transtig 200 AC/DC. Not that one!

Weldskill 200 AC/DC. About $1699 retail. This is the one I was using at the welding course I did recently and it was sweet.

It's basically the Cigweld version of yours I reckon.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:31 pm 

That looks like a good one. I think i should have spent another few hundred on mine now and gone the next model up or something like that. The one i got was nearly 400 less than the Cigweld you linked. But it doesnt have variable AC frequency. It has variable pulse settings and AC balance and stuff like that. But the AC is fixed at 60hz sqaure wave. And the pulse wont go any slower than 2hz. Even though its 'supposed' to go down to 1/2hz. Its these little things you notice after you buy em....

I didnt really wanna spend that much. But by the time you get a bottle of gas, consumables, a foot pedal, a torch that isnt huge, a few tungstons and gas lenses etc. It ends up costing 2.5k even when the base welder is nearly half that much.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:44 pm 

Vehicle: rs lib/04 xt

how was the welding course? how much? I was thinking of doing the CIT welding course or car resto course.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:22 pm 

The welding course was pretty good. About $260 with an early bird special.

I basically spent the whole time TIGing because it was fun, but got to try Oxy, Mig, braising, silver solder etc. The Instructor is really laid back, and basically let's you do whatever you want and is there to help.

I've been thinking about the car resto course, but there isn't a part 1 listed atm, so not sure when the next one will be.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:50 am 

Vehicle: rs lib/04 xt

think it starts again feb next year.

might look into your course. cheers.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 10   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next