Change font size
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 10   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: FC3S RX-7 dedicated track car... w/ added MX5!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

Mx5 is hard to beat in the corners. Always had fun harrasing things at track days..... until we got to the straight. I managed 960kg with hard top, no soft top and still running aircon.

Great that all thet later model stuff fits out of nb's. 6spd. Brakes diffs etc. Cheap fun.... daydreaming of getting back into one as the 2nd car.

here is my poor quality footage back in 2008.
https://www.facebook.com/butters.t.j/videos/8283563588/

Last edited by whitfoz on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 pm 

Vehicle: Evo IX GT wagon

When you double the power, in a car that light, it should be crazy fun. I would hard top it if it was mine

www.instagram.com/uzumaki.garage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 pm 

I Say: Please install indicators on ALL cars!!
Vehicle: MY07 XT - Silver

glad you are doing the RX-8 rebuild yourself.

a mate from work just had his RX-8 GT rebuilt and cost him A LOT!

01G 'Silver' MY07 XTM | Genuine STi Front Bar + Grille | Genuine Forester STi Struts + Pink Springs | LGT F+R Brakes | STi TMIC | 3.5" X-Force TBE + Varex | 19x8 Advanti Chasers | Whiteline RSB + Endlinks + HD Mounts | Whiteline Front Strut Brace | Alpine iPod Deck + Cradle + Amps + Sub |

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

be_oh_be wrote:
Great update. Seat time along with the extra poke is all you need with the MX-5.

Buying 1/3 of a "blown" RX-8 would have been pretty cheap. They're a great chassis.

Yeah, planning on lots of seat time. Keen to hit Winton and SMSP in 2018 too. Broaden my horizons a bit.

RX8 was cheap, but unfortunately the engine was much worse than we had hoped. Up for a new housing, rear iron, eccentric shaft, and rotor/main bearings through out. Plus just the usual full seal kit. :x Gonna be pricey.

whitfoz wrote:
I managed 960kg with hard top, no soft top and still running aircon.

No A/C or PS on this one, and my soft top leaks bad!!! Here's the passenger floor after the recent east coast rains! :lol:

XT666 wrote:
When you double the power, in a car that light, it should be crazy fun. I would hard top it if it was mine

Definitely putting a hard top on eventually. They're pricey buggers though! Low priority atm. More power first!!

dimsim wrote:
glad you are doing the RX-8 rebuild yourself.

a mate from work just had his RX-8 GT rebuilt and cost him A LOT!

Parts are real expensive! Don't wanna have to pay labour too. Some things will be outsourced, like balancing the rotating assembly, but other than that, we'll have a crack ourselves. Fingers crossed it doesn't break after a couple hundred k's!!

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:08 pm 

Vehicle: Evo IX GT wagon

One of the guys who works at Motorspare in Mitchell has at least one MX5. From memory he's a bit crazy about them. Might be worth meeting him.

www.instagram.com/uzumaki.garage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 am 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

:thumbs:

One of the guys down here brings 1 jerry can for the day in his MX5.... lol! #Cheapisgood.

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:05 pm 

Had some tie to continue prepping for the Megasquirt ECU install. It's plug and play basically, but needs a couple things, one of which is to install an air temp sensor allowing the removal of the stock MAF which is an intake restriction. I also installed a DW200 fuel pump.

Because I'll also be going turbo later my AIT sensor install will be temporarily located to start with, so I need to be able to move it later. The Megasquirt install instructions call for the AIT sensor to be connected into the stock connector for the MAF with some spades and then electrical taped... Sounds dodgy to me, I wanted to do it better than that. I also want to be able to run the MAF sensor in the mean time until I'm ready to put the ECU in, or be able to return to stock later.

So I armed myself with some internet knowledge and zero experience with motorsport (milspec sorta) wiring and got to work. Budget focused still, so I'm not using the really expensive connectors, just Deutsch DT and DTM (save the Deutsch Auto Sports for the FC).

Started with this -

Installed a 6 way DT connector inline, because the MAF uses 6, even though the air temp sensor only uses 2. Motorsport wiring is generally wrapped with fuel/oil/heat/abrasion resistant heatshrink tubing and usually Raychem DR25. And finally labelled with print on heatshrink tube (Dymo Rhino) with the label covered with Raychem RT375 clear heatshrink because it's a lot tougher than the Dymo tape -

End up with this, with the stock MAF now essentially on a sub harness that can be saved in case I need it later -

Next up, will be to install my Bosch injectors and the ECU and get that setup and running on a base map.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:13 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Alot of effort getting the dr25. Good work. Did you use any special wiring like ETFE?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 am 

Yeah, I'm using it as practice for wiring the FC (that won't a have single strand of original wire in it), so went ahead and got the Raychem stuff. Still budget though so no tefzel wire this time around. I'll even use the stock roll of wire that came with the AIT when wiring that up etc.

This stuff is crazy expensive!

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

When i do my re-wires. I generally use pvc auto wire for most smaller jobs, or non critical jobs. I use TE connectivity PTFE for any engine management wiring. I primarily use it because it thins down loom thickness when compared to "auto" wires. And also because even 2mm "auto" is generally to thick for alot of ecu connectors. The biggest trouble i have is getting a good selection of colours in ETFE. The added mechanical abrasion and thermal handling is just an extra bonus for using ETFE.

For most wiring i use harness flex PA6 conduit. I also use PVC sheething for smaller branch offs. Recently i have began using techflex PET braids. As this is alot easier to make "neat". But it doesnt have the same mechanical or thermal protection as harness flex or even the dr25. I dont use the dr25 unless specifically requested, as unless you are builing a WRC or F1, then its really not needed.

I use deutsch DT, DTM, DTP, DTHD, and HD30 series connectors for most stuff. But also occaisionaly will use others like Delphi metripacks range or such depending on job. And i can source a very good range of Japanese OEM connectors to suit alot of the original sensors and components. I can get pretty much every connector used on the subarus engines for example. And have also gotten every connector for SR20 aswell.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 10   [ 100 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10