Change font size
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 30   [ 298 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Evo IX GT Wagon - Has your dipstick ever popped up?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:43 pm 

Vehicle: Evo IX GT wagon

Garage HRS used to make an engine oil dipstick safety latch, to make sure the dipstick wouldn't pop up under track conditions and allow oil to spray over the engine bay. It seems discontinued now at Garage HRS but I did find a similar design by the Japanese company "YR Advance". Just for peace of mind.

A quick easy install even though my brain is foggy with a head cold.

and here's a completely unrelated photo of my door jam. Because, well… JDM decals.

www.instagram.com/uzumaki.garage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:07 pm 

Wish i had one of them a while back. Mine popped and sprayed the whole bay with oil. I thought the worse when smoke started belowing out from under the bonnet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:42 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Too much crank case pressure. Poor crankcase ventilation system or excessive piston blow by.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:14 am 

My additional engine breathing setup probably makes the latch un-necessary but without logging crankcase pressure under all conditions I'm only guessing. I do know when I open the engine oil filler cap a lot of air gets pumped out and that's just at idle. I don't know how many crankcase psi it would take to lift the dipstick so the latch is a bit of cheap insurance.

I know someone in Brisbane with a 2.4L stroker evo with good breathers and his car will still lift the dipstick at the track on hi boost settings, so it is a worthwhile mod. Even if you do a DIY latch with a hook, spring and hose clamp attached to the dipstick tube.

Post subject: Re: Evo IX GT Wagon - Lowering the Seats 23 Aug
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:26 pm 

I Say: The flow, go with it my children.
Vehicle: Gold 02 GT

waali wrote:
Niiiice, I wish there was a straight swap like this for the GT. I love my stock seats, but hate the height.

I have wrx RA seats in mine they are much lower than the stockies, I wonder how hard it would be to swap the stock seats onto them.

Post subject: Re: Evo IX GT Wagon - Ralliart 1 DIN gauges & stereo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:16 pm 

Did a couple of upgrades today including mounting my Ralliart 1 DIN triple gauge RA517925S1.

I used to have an old 2 DIN Kenwood stereo in the Evo but it wasn't much good and looked outdated. I considered getting a new 2 DIN stereo with reversing camera & GPS etc but I decided to combine a new 1 DIN stereo with a Ralliart 1 DIN triple gauge that I already had in my shed. After some shopping around looking at stereos that would look good with the Ralliart triple gauge I chose a simple Pioneer DEH-X7850BT unit with Blue Tooth and Spotify App compatibility etc etc.

I also bought the little harness kit so I could easily wire it up.

I used the old stereo mounting brackets to mount the Ralliart gauge. Then I made a bracket out of 1.6mm thick silver anodized aluminum that measures 100mm x 100mm and hung the new Pioneer stereo from this new bracket.

I downloaded the Pioneer App "ARC" to make setup and customising its look really easy. I played around with different looks and red and white colours but eventually settled for white lights that "sort of" matches the Ralliart gauge.

Put the Ralliart 2 DIN trim back on

Looks much better than before. I still have to wire up the gauges

Post subject: Re: Evo IX GT Wagon - Ralliart 1 DIN gauges & stereo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:00 am 

I Say: Needs more positive manifold pressure.
Vehicle: MY01 S/tb - MY01 STi II Type M

That little gauge pack is nice!

I need something like that for my car.

MY01 GT -Unfinished Project

Post subject: Re: Evo IX GT Wagon - update HKS & KAP
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:19 pm 

A little update from a few days ago when I installed the second HKS Kansai lowered seat rails for OEM Recaros to the LH side of the car.

Straight forward install, like the drivers side was, a few weeks ago

HKS Kansai Service "Low Position Seat Rail" for OEM Recaro.
Part number: KIM002
Navigator seat for RHD car (which I imagine would be part number for the drivers side seat on an LHD evo in the US or Europe.)

The centre console was still out from installing the other seat, so I removed the seat belt latch from the seat. Then I removed the seat from the car then removed the OEM rails from the seat bracket after I softened up the 4 x Torx head bolts that hold them together. They came out pretty easy.

Removed OEM rail and bolted up new rail and swapped over seatbelt latch from OEM rail. I used low strength loctite 222 on the new rail bolts.

I also added a KAP Industries fire extinguisher mounting bracket and FIRE BOX extinguisher (2 strap New Zealand spec extinguisher) to the LH side footwell. Thanks Russ @KAP Industries.
It is a bit of a tight squeeze with the lowered HKS Kansai seat rails but it did fit even though the seat can't quite slide as far forward as it used to with the OEM rails. The HKS rails don't operate as smoothly and easily as the OEM rails but I half expected that.

At the moment anyway, I much prefer this lower seat height. And my passenger can enjoy the sportier seating position now too.

Post subject: Re: Evo IX GT Wagon - update HKS & KAP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 am 

Vehicle: 04XT

Man you have by far the best journal ever!!! I am big fan of your work.!! Can you please do something with a pictures from older posts so we can still see them?? If looks like photbucket want you to go premium so pictures can be visible??

Post subject: Re: Evo IX GT Wagon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 am 

Thanks @Kontkret. Yes Photobucket ruined this thread. I have fixed my build thread on the US Evo forum but I haven't had the time to fix this gallery thread.

I keep the EvolutionM.net thread up to date here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/proje ... ralia.html

All pictures there are visible.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 30   [ 298 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next