Change font size
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 23 of 23   [ 229 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: Wizz's STI 2 door
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:37 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Im pretty sure toe out helps get the car turning hrader. It actually has slight braking effect on the inside wheel and that cause a turning moment on the car.

When the car turns, the weight shifts to the outer wheel and the car basically follows that around the corner. Because of the toe out, the inside wheel is actually turned in a little more than the outside. And that means the inside wheel is not following the exact turn. And is instead kinda dragging a bit. And that creates a turning force on the car.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:45 pm 

I Say: Mum, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot! Sorry son, you can't do both!! :D
Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury AT, white

From having taken tyre temps on the track, I reckon your camber front and rear is very close to spot-on (a tiny bit more in the front will give optimum grip, I reckon, but these camber angles will create camber wear on the street).

Toe out in the front will make the front end turn like a Banshie out of hell. By all intents and purposes, toe out front AND rear is said to promote straight line instability ... zero toe in the rear seems to be optimal from what I've seen. But the correct toe out at the front will make the steering very responsive. I think the diagram in this link explains it (caution: it will be twitchy):
http://what-when-how.com/automobile/the ... utomobile/

A colleague races a 70s Porsche in the IROC series, and loves using toe out in the front of his 911!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:06 pm 

I Say: Your crazy man. I like you, but your crazy.
Vehicle: V5 STI Type R. MY09 XT. NP300

Hmmm I kinda see wat u guys are talking about.
With our planned move out of Newcastle n back to Taree area happening soon, it will mean more spirited country drives (Oxley Highway look out) so I told the dude at tyre shop to keep that in mind while still wanting a good set up for occasional track days in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

craig747400 wrote:
From having taken tyre temps on the track, I reckon your camber front and rear is very close to spot-on (a tiny bit more in the front will give optimum grip, I reckon, but these camber angles will create camber wear on the street).

Toe out in the front will make the front end turn like a Banshie out of hell. By all intents and purposes, toe out front AND rear is said to promote straight line instability ... zero toe in the rear seems to be optimal from what I've seen. But the correct toe out at the front will make the steering very responsive. I think the diagram in this link explains it (caution: it will be twitchy):
http://what-when-how.com/automobile/the ... utomobile/

A colleague races a 70s Porsche in the IROC series, and loves using toe out in the front of his 911!

Ackerman principle is different to toe in and out. Ackerman is basically changing toe dependant on steering angle. Setting the car up with aditional static toe on a ackerman equpipped system has other effects.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:48 pm 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

As this car isn't his daily I don't think Chris will be too worried about camber wear. 2 3/4 degrees isn't that much really anyway. That and excessive toe would cause more noticeable wear. A little (still within limits) toe out will aid turn without being twitchy, not that I think this car won't turn. DCCD plus a very light front end certainly help (aircon gone, very light tube/fin FMIC with minimal piping, no U bracing on this GC8 along with other "heavy" things being deleted).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:20 pm 

Ok time will tell I guess when I start pushing the car.
Interesting to note the top hat positions after the alignment.
Driver side.
Passenger side.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:25 pm 

Probably because lazy wheel aligners couldnt be arsed equalling/zeroing the camber via the camber bolts in the uprights. Instead just took the easy approach of tweaking the top plates. (Or your car has something a little bit bent.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:10 pm 

Hmmm ok. The MCA coilovers have pre sett camber washers no need for camber bolts so maybe a bent control arm? I plan to replace the front n rear control arms with GDB items later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:26 pm 

Sometimes just pushing or pulling the strut or upright when doing up the bolts, can give noticable camber changes. The minor slop in the bolts, upright, and strut foot can give a small amount of play that will affect camber depending in where it is when its tightened up.

And you cant really avoid this unless you intentionally push / pull the assembly when doing it up. The parts need a slight clearance to help with assembly. If it was an interference fit, there would be no slop, but it would also be near impossible to get the bolts in the holes aswell.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 23 of 23   [ 229 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23