It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 34 of 34   [ 339 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
 Post subject: Re: Epearce's BMW E28 - New mods pg33
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:55 pm 

Vehicle: 98 N/A 5MT Foz - 82 BMW E28

yenjaiken wrote:
epearce wrote:
Cheers mate, you stilling enjoying it with BMW? You qualified yet?

Doing a bachelor of business - probably major in accounting.

Thanks!

Yeah. Finally finished the Apprentice Course. Am now a certified RT and also moved to BMW Sydney.

I'll be down your way in March for Masters albeit in Hobart.

Congrats on getting RT! I had a couple of training sessions in the old Sydney dealership last year. It's knocked down though isn't it? You would be at the temporary site?

I saw that was down my way, will be interesting to see what activities they do!

My Forester Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:56 pm 

russgt wrote:
Mint mate! Can you link me to that under bonnet heat stuff? My e30 needs doing

Cheers Russ!

andrew_k wrote:
Russ, search "car builders". Same mob I got my firewall insulation from. Will buy sound deadening from them too, seems a quality outfit.

This!

My Forester Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:03 pm 

I Say: You get in the bowl.

Thanks guys! I'll look it up now

http://www.kap.industries

Search User: @kapindustries on Instagram!

https://www.facebook.com/Kap-Industries ... 405181755/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:14 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Crystal Gray

epearce wrote:
Congrats on getting RT! I had a couple of training sessions in the old Sydney dealership last year. It's knocked down though isn't it? You would be at the temporary site?

As far as I know it's in the process of being knocked down. We had a visit from the head finance honco for BMW come and sign the large cheque. So to answer your question, yeah, we're currently in a temp facility.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:28 pm 

yenjaiken wrote:
epearce wrote:

As far as I know it's in the process of being knocked down. We had a visit from the head finance honco for BMW come and sign the large cheque. So to answer your question, yeah, we're currently in a temp facility.

Yeah nice!

New dealership will be good to work in! Factory backed, so it should be up there with the best in Australia.

My Forester Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:36 pm 

Its been too long since I've updated this. A bit has happened, during the past 18 months heres a basic overview;

When I built the engine for this a few years ago I stayed with the outdated 2.8 litre Ljetronic engine management from the original 2.8 motor. I did this because at the time I didn't want to go through with a full loom swap and all the headaches involved with that.

However running it on the basic ljet system it was under powered, not as smooth as it should be and it is terrible at cold starts. I adjusted everything over the years to get it running the best i could but at the end of the day, I needed to get rid of the ljet engine management system.

I decided to go with Motronic 1.3 as fitted to the M30B35 in the BMW E34s and E32, along with all the associated parts required. Not an uncommon swap on E28s, however most upgrade from Motronic 1.1 so it is an easier task for them. The number on pins in the motronic ecu compared to the ljet show give an insight into how much greater it is.

The other improvements are; ecu controlled spark as well as ecu controlled advance and retard (not vacuum like before), O2 sensor, proper idle control, improved airflow meter and injectors; plus going from an ecu developed in 1975 to one developed in the late 80's.

The ljet loom is a hideous setup...

First step was to remove everything that is getting replaced.

Then onto sorting out the loom. The worst part about the loom is that for RHD cars its way too short, so it has to be lengthened at the ecu connection, relays, fusebox connection and coil wires. I started by stripping off the now brittle insulation and then cut out all the wires and plugs that aren't need for my car (A/C, ABS, emissions, autotrans etc).

Then onto the fun part, test fitting the loom and seeing how i will run the wires for the neatest, most practical way and how much they all need extending.

The E34 fuse box plug was then cut off and the E28 one crimped on, matching each wire the correct e28 pin.

I planned to send the injectors somewhere to be serviced and tested. But the local place wanted $400 and I couldn't justify that. A bit of google research and I realised how basic it is, so i did it myself.

Soaked the injectors and cleaned the external parts, removed the filter baskets and then cleaned them internally and checked their flow with carby cleaner, then resistance checked each injector. I ordered an injector service kit off Ebay for $10 and the carby cleaner cost be $10. Winning.

Yeah it may not be quite as effective as a professional job, but these injectors were in good condition, so I'm content.

The next step was to remove the valve cover and upper timing case cover and replace the distributor drive nut as this needs to be changed to run the motronic distributor.

The injector service parts arrived and they were easily fitted.

Injectors were then fitted, along with the updated rail and new fuel hoses.

Motronic distributor drive, timing case and distributor cap were then swapped in.

The old ignition coil was mounted behind the headlights, i decided to mount the new coil on the strut town after making a bracket. Then loom also has to be lengthened as in E34/E32s the coil is mounted much closer.

Replacement vibration dampener swapped in, it has teeth to measure engine position, unlike the old one. I also cut the front rib off the pulley as its not need after deleting AC years ago.

The most annoying part of the conversion was next. The loom that runs to the ECU is far too short for RHD cars, also the ecu plug is too big to fit through the factory firewall holes.. My first idea was to depin the connector, lengthen all the wires a couple of feet then crimp on new pins. But the pins were a bastard and wouldn't come out no matter what i tried. So a new connector was ordered.

I cut off the ECU plug and lengthened the wiring so I can mount the ECU in the factory position with the wiring routed the neatest way possible. It also enabled me to fit the factory E28 grommets.

I continuity checked all wires back to their component before numbering, to hopefully ensure nothing gets pinned wrong in the ECU. Then crimped on new pins to all wires and ran the harness through the firewall.

Continuing with the aim to keeping everything OEM looking as possible. I modified a E34 OBD bracket to mount the OBDI port in my chosen location.

ECU and fuel pump relays were also mounted with the E34 bracket after lengthening the loom.

Then i removed the exhaust and welded in a bung for the O2 sensor as my car came with none from factory.

I chose to keep the factory airbox, even though some may say it is big, ugly and covers up half the engine. But i want it to look relatively factory under the bonnet and the factory airbox is not a performance limitation, so I saw no reason to go with something more modern.

It was a very happy moment, after all the hours over the last 6 months put into this swap to finally year it running spot on. I was nearly to the point of believing it was never going to happen. Glad I never gave in.

Ive only taken it for a short 5km drive before the rain came and it met all expectations. AFR's were spot on under all rpm ranges, no stalling, no hesitations. Success.

For those that want to read more, check my build thread here. Every detail is contained there. There were quite a few teething problems and issues encountered, but in the end I got every single thing working as it should from factory and cold starts are now perfect.

My Forester Gallery

Post subject: Re: Epearce's BMW E28 - Huge Update
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:55 pm 

I Say: Your crazy man. I like you, but your crazy.
Vehicle: V5 STI Type R. MY09 XT. NP300

Wow nice work.
She be running real smooth now :ok:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:35 pm 

Vehicle: MY01 GT-silver

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 am 

Vehicle: MY99 GT

Wow, what an absolute beaut. Sounds like a job well done.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 34 of 34   [ 339 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34