Change font size
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: my smelly old benz
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:22 pm 

I Say: wouldja listen to them ball bearings!
Vehicle: 98 Ver.5 STi-swapped SF5

before i had my foz, i bought this car...sold my first car to get it, for the princely sum of 1000$

its a 1978 W116 Mercedes 280S AMG. 2.8L straight six, Holley carb. the most povo S-Class haha

yep, its an old pos. but its a rare old pos, and thats what counts.

back in the day, AMG werent affiliated with MB, they were just a tuning shop that had some options for benzes..im pretty sure the W116 chassis is the first one to have AMG bits for it. and mine has a full set of original skirts, plus a rubber (!) boot lip, and AMG badge, which alone is worth about a third of what i paid for the car. oh, and its manual :twisted: bit of a rarity for oz.

some of the other AMG bits included a tuned engine (crazy rare) a speedo that goes up to 300 or something, plus different ratio diffs..

so the story so far goes something like this. picked her up from the PO in the far eastern 'burbs, drove her back to Bairnsdale, nursing a slippery clutch and a suspended rego..result of the PO not getting a RWC when HE bought the car :? it still had rego at the time, but it expired in september. got the car home, drove the gf to work the next morning to show it off, but i stalled the beast as i was leaving, and nothing could revive her. got a tow back, and she sat in the street for a week or so.

its such a pretty car...but by god it was foul. ive since learned it was originally white, but it was obvious it had been resprayed. overspray on the headlights, runs in the clear on one corner, and im pretty sure the vertical part of the boot has no clear on it all. skirts had been (badly) put back on, just riveted to the existing panels. front lower grille was in pieces, held together with self-tappers, strips of aluminium and more rivets...but it had new tires :roll:

and then theres the interior. nearly the same shade as the outside, seats in a vinyl refferred to as 'MB Tex' which had me fooled as being leather. mint condition, cept for the massive sags when you sat down, plus the tear in the driver's seat. carpets were.....wet. and greasy. atm theyre all stripped out of the car, not sure whether to chuck em or clean em.

once i figured how to take the seats out (sounds straight-forward, but so, so not) i unearthed over $40 in change. it never got clean, so i spent it melbourne chinatown, and legged it outta the restaurant before they refused the filthy pile of coins. lolol

| 98 SF5 Forester LX | 78 W116 Benz AMG

Last edited by zook on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: my smelly old benz
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 pm 

so uh..yeah, after a week or so of poking around this smelly old relic, i bought a massive new battery, which got it going long enough to get it to a servo so i could dilute whatever **** was sitting in there. headed back to my parents place, took it for a roadworthy test, which it failed spectacularily. i was also told in no uncertain terms by the mechanic to quit while i was ahead.

the list:
1. Driver's seat cut - got a cream upper section as a quick fix
2. RH Brakelight n/w
3. LH Driving light n/w
4. Rear door seals u/s- got some new ones, put em in. quite simple, and satisfying
5. windscreen washers u/s - there is garden hose an other chunks of rubber hose conncting the washers to a non OEM pump. i fixed it, went back the next day, and the air is back in the system :roll:
6. windscreen wiper blades u/s
7. Battery not secure - bought one without the lip at the bottom. damn!
8. brake fluid u/s - another easy fix! drained out the old crap, in with the new, bleed it, done!
9. Front cross member behind bumper bar bent - tow point snapped, so they wrapped a chain around the bumper :x fools
bent bar^^ straight bar from wreckers \/\/
still need to get it welded in!

10. front upper inner control arm bushes u/s - replaced the whole damn control arms haha

11. front and rear driveshaft couplings u/s - easy with the right tools! out with the driveshaft, on with new couplings, as well as:
12. driveshaft centre bearing u/s
done in a morning!

13. all 4 brake hoses to calipers u/s - another simple, satisfying, swap-in-new-parts, job.

14. front exhaust muffler leaking....bastard old exhaust system, doesnt have flanges!!! argh. had to use a tree and a hacksaw and a hammer to get the sections apart, and got it welded up at the farm i occasionally work for

15. front suspension cross bar bushes u/s
16. front trailing arm rear bushes u/s ....sweet mother of god, what a job.new bushes can suck a big one, frankly.
getting the old bushes out using any means nessisary. the blowtorch wasnt pictured :P

front suspension out.....and back in

17. oil leak from power steering pump - mechanic's BS, more likely to be dirty \/ \/
18. wash engine oil leaks and inspect - at least it has had a new head gasket recently, by the looks of the blue sealant drips

19. rear control arm bushes u/s - lol this was fun. i needed special mercedes spring compressors to do it properly, which are expensive and hard to aqquire..so i didnt use any compressors at all. prop shaft off, unbolt the diff, lower on a jack. wasnt 'smooth' but it wasnt a disaster :lol:

20. both left & right boot wells rusted out
21. gear shifter boot not fitted - technically its still not fitted, but only coz there is no interior in the car atm haha

22. left front ball joint split - not split now! its melted :twisted: blowtorch got it out, some bloke of dads got the new one in. turned up on the weekend to find it all done for me :D

last but not least,
23. Clutch slipping - gah. doesnt seems like much, when described with those two little words..
had to take the starter motor out the get the exhaust out, so i could get the prop shaft out, then had to undo bloody everything, gear linkage, speedo cable, unbolt the slave cylinder.
my two years of mechanical engineering have paid off \/\/ (or is it just from paying with lego) :P
supporting the engine while lowering the 'box. tiny bloody thing it is xD
gave it a clean with some kero

old vs new friction discs :shock:
no wonder it was slipping. got the full kit installed fairly smoothly

put the car back together, went to drive it off the ramps, but it wouldnt go into gear....
bled the clutch, but nope, nothing. cant be the cylinders, they were near new. a bloke on the w116 forum is currently having similar issues, used a pressure kit putting 2bar into the fluid reservoir, that yeilded nada. was tempted to take the 'box back off again, and check everything was lining up, but its unlikely to be the problem in BOTH our cars. currently looking for a kit that'll suck it out the slave cylinder nipple, as that has worked on a similar age benz.

if i can get the clutch fixed, she'll then get $300 of lowering springs. if im feeling rich, some BBS RS rims, 3 piece if i can find em. If im feeling really rich, my long term plan is to eventually spray her back to her original colour, and get all the shiny metal bits coated in black chrome. that, would be effin sweet.

but as she is now, it aint looking great. if she wasnt so rare i wouldve sold long ago..but thanks to the foz, the benz lives on! been out of rego for over 3 months, since i cant renew without a RWC..im planning to put it on a club permit, allowing me to drive it 45-90 days per year, at a tiny fraction of a normal rego's cost.
she'll get there eventually, just might take some time!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:21 am 

I Say: So these two chicks were sitting quietly, minding their own business...
Vehicle: MY05 XTL 5MT

I'm not much of a Benz fan, especially the older ones, but i love this thing, and am keen to hear how you get on with it. Would love to see it sprayed back to original with a new interior and all chromed up!

Best of luck and good to see a few little things didn't put an end to your plans.

Couldn't care less.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:26 am 

I Say: The ting goes skrrrahh, pap, pap, ka-ka-ka Skidiki-pap-pap, and a pu-pu-pudrrrr-boom
Vehicle: Crystal Grey '05 XT

I like it mate :thumbs: Was a good read. Hopefully she gets up and running soon.

|IHI VF34|GS EBCS|PW TMIC|APS CAI|GECKO COILOVERS|

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:26 am 

I Say: vox audita perit litera scripta manet
Vehicle: MY02 GT (TH tuned) - White

Good for you! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 am 

I Say: Back in the Game.
Vehicle: Blue MY16 Ts Sti foz

For love or money.

Have fun with it. ;-)

MY15 Premium Sti now Flexing to 240-300ws 12.4 @112mph had fueling issues :-(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:58 am 

I Say: Oops is my strongest 4 letter word
Vehicle: R32 GTR N1, R34 GTR N1, NAVARA

Got married to Maria in '79
This looks like our wedding car!
A fellow pharmacist loaned it to us - with him as chauffeur.

My best man n partner were in a '79 Alfetta GTV

My other groomsman and partner were in a '78 Lancia Beta Coupe.

All cars were less than 2 years old at the time.

Take care of this beauty. Chassis' were never the same in the 80s MBs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:25 am 

Vehicle: V4 STI SF5, RWD, Caged :-)

tint windows black, little flags on the bonnet. EL-PRESIDENTE' :thumbs:

Tony rocks up to track days with a jack, bucket of shafts and rattle gun haha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:16 pm 

I Say: Some people just like to make themselves sound great.............. others make great sounds!
Vehicle: SWP MY11 SediTIon + a monster

ha ha ha Mafia Staff Car

Love it!

You'll get there in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:11 pm 

lol yep, car of choice if you'd like to look like a cuban dictator :lol:

got in contact with a bloke i know from the benz forum (he has 5 450SEL 6.9s - top of the range, with 6.9L V8s :shock: ) he was once a mechanic for MB, gonna get him to take a look at it in a week or two :ok:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next