Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: MRT performance tune
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:59 pm 

Vehicle: 2010 Forester XT

Hey guys

I just bought a 2010 FOz XT premium, and it's come with a MRT tune. the car is completely stock, but I was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before and what my options are moving forward with modifications. eg do they lock the ECU so only they can tune the car.

I've come across MRT in other subie forums and people generally don't seem to have a good opinion of them, for the moment the car is fine as it is. The car is completely stock but i will be modifying and just want to know if i need to get MRT to reverse anything before I go to my own tuner (recommendations welcome).

Thanks in advance!

Stu

Post subject: Re: MRT performance tune
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:05 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

From what I know of MRT - they use ECUTek software and the ECU is effectively locked to that tune. I'm unsure how you go about removing the tune so you can take the car elsewhere.

They're expensive because of the ECUTek license and the factory warranty they offer on all modifications/tunes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:10 pm 

Thanks James

Sounds like i may have to give them a call and see what they say. Unless anyone else has further info.

Hopefully this won't turn into a giant clusterf*** hahaha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:38 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Yeah best to call them and see what options you have. Would be interested to know if you're happy to report back. I won't ever get my ECU "locked" to any particular brand/tuner. The factory ECU's are pretty good for bolt-on modifications. My STi had a built motor, 1000cc injectors and e85 making 280awkw on the factory ECU.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:40 pm 

So I emailed MRT and got the below response. Looks like as long as I go with an ecuteck tuner I'm alright, but if they don't use it it could be a hassle

"Good news for you, no lock exists, and any Ecutek tuner will be able to simply write straight over the top of the tune that is currently in there.
If somebody wants to retune it with another tuning program, the current tune may need to be replaced with a standard Subaru file."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:06 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

The boys at Rumble Shack can sort you out with either an open tune or tweak your Ecutek tune. Suggest you give them a call.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:41 pm 

Thanks jonp

They seem to be the favorites on here, so will be strong contenders when i get to the stage of needing a retune. I'll definitely be giving them a call.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 am 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

Two other well known Sydney tuners you could go to with ecutek are Pulse Racing and Autotech.

Both have their good and bad reviews. I've talked to the owner of Pulse about one of the dramas they had (with a friends car) years ago and he's a lot more philosophical about it now about accepting blame (one of his now ex-employees not doing the right thing). A retune at Pulse usually goes for around the 500~600 mark, so that is something to compare with.

*the cars in my sig block, as well as my current car, have all been tuned by Pulse and reliability has/was never an issue and they have always been quick to get back to me if I have a question.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:04 pm 

Thanks Bob

I've also come across Tunehouse, who also work with ECUtek. I'll have to revisit all of these when i finally get the money and parts i want. haha

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]