Change font size
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: E85 - Storage & Transport Container Safety
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

Hi there,

I had been planning a trip from Sydney to Melbourne on E85, So I was looking for options for storage to take some with me......
My fuel range is about 300km per tank with City driving, about 350-400km on Hwy. Still not enough, as the closest station from Sydney is Wagga Wagga 460km.

So i was looking at getting some jerry cans to get me there, looking at Bunnings & Supercheap auto for some options. This is what I have found:
1) Metal Jerry cans - great to use but you need to watch for corrosion if water and oxygen present - OK for short periods.
2) Fuel Bladders - TPU based - Are NOT certified to carry ethanol based fuels. A real shame, as these fold down into nothing and would be great to leave in the car.
3) PVC based Jerry Cans - Red for petrol, yellow for diesel. Are NOT certified for carrying or storage of ethanol based fuels. Both major brands I contacted could NOT recommend any of their products that would store ethanol. As I understand, the ethanol reacts with the PVC, causing it to swell.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone uses the plastic cans on a regular/permanent basis.

Looks like metal is the only safe option.

VF-52 with Lava turbo blanket, 11psi Wastegate Spring, 3 port Company23 Anti-Surge BCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Headers & Up-pipe in Lava wrap, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, Front & Rear Whiteline Heavy Duty Anti-Sway bars, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85, Short shifter - 220kw atw

Post subject: Re: E85 - Storage & Transport Container Safety
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

I have three "squat" 20L "Sceptre" brand Canadian-made plastic jerry cans that i use for E85 storage etc weekly. They have been totally fine for months now.

By coincidence, i recently changed fuel filters to see how much rubbish a clean filter picks up on E85. My cut apart "near new, E85 only" fuel filter looked fine. That has been used with about half of my E85 coming out of those Sceptre jerry cans before it goes in the tank.

Watch out for the "platinum" Supercheap jerry cans (silver coloured plastic). The ones i bought (while still on petrol) had the rubber seals around the cap/nozzle swell and become unusable on contact with petrol ("for f*cks sake") so i returned them. It might have been a bad manufacturing batch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

I'm yet to hear a user of E85 complain about PVC jerry can issues.

For short duration storage it should not be an issue.

Ideally you'd want jerry cans for "race fuel" from a place like VPW etc.

Flex tune FTW.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:14 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

I did not want to mention names, but I did contact Willow and Sceptre, both would not recommend any of their products for Ethanol.

Sceptre Response:
Scepter’s fuel cans are designed for short term storage of fuels readily available from gas stations. They are not designed for any specialty fuels.
If you have any further questions please let us know.
<<<< end Spectre Response

Willow Response:
Thank you for contacting us. All our fuel and diesel cans have been tested against the Australian Standard AS/NZ 2906:2001 - Fuel containers—Portable—
Plastics and metal.

The standard states that "Containers covered by this Standard are suitable for use with leaded, unleaded and super
grades of petrol, two-stroke engine fuel, and kerosene and distillate. In general, these containers are excluded from use with racing fuels"

Our diesel and fuel cans have not been tested for use with E85 standard fuels and therefore, we cannot recommend their use for either storing or transporting these grades of fuels.

I'm sorry I am unable to assist you with a recommendation.
<<<<< end Willow response

Various TPU based fuel Bladder manufacturers had a definite NO ! I contacted 3.

Just a word of warning.....

VF-52 with Lava turbo blanket, 11psi Wastegate Spring, 3 port Company23 Anti-Surge BCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Headers & Up-pipe in Lava wrap, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, Front & Rear Whiteline Heavy Duty Anti-Sway bars, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85, Short shifter - 220kw atw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:25 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Corporate risk-reduction thinking dictates that, when a consumer asks if the product is suitable for a use that is different to the standard it has been designed to meet, you say "no" so the company can't be so easily sued.

"What the product can actually do" is of course a different question when the risk-avoidance culture is stripped away.

My Walbro fuel pump isn't rated for E85, but plenty of E85 users use the same pump with no problems and recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

I carted E85 to Wakefield and back and used a few times other than that using Willow red containers and never had issues. No swelling that I noticed.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

As said in the other thread. I have transported and stored e85 is the red plastic cans for about 6 yrs now. No problems. I actually have 2 can exclusively for e85 use.

As yowie has said, its standard practice for any company to say no, if they dont specifically know the answer to a question. Im sure if you asked Subaru if its safe to put e85 in thier cars, the answer would be no aswell....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:35 am 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

As others have said the red 20L jerrys are fine.

Leave mine sitting at times for 4-6 weeks between events & never had a problem. If all you are worried about is it sitting in the car for a few hours/possibly a day, I would stop. Have faith that the world will continue as normal once you put e85 into a jerry can....

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]