Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Drive by Wire (DBW) throttle Lag - confirmed fix?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:27 pm 

Vehicle: MY07 XT - Urban Grey / MY99 GT

I will say it's eliminated.

Skickat från min F3112 via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:32 pm 

I Say: Keep the hammer down
Vehicle: 02GT/6MT/Modtown

S2-13BT wrote:
My next step is a 6 speed with a upgraded clutch and lightened flywheel. I'll be paying attention to this thanks to this thread, just for interests sake.

Fixed. Stock will only last so long and lightened is a much better driving experience, even on a daily.

Always getting logged out? Drop the .au, ozfoz.com.au

Wanted to buy: Rays Volk CE28N 17x8 +44 PCD5x100 10 spoke, Qty: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

waali wrote:
Fixed. Stock will only last so long and lightened is a much better driving experience, even on a daily.

Well, maybe...

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:32 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Well thats the first time I’ve ever heard someone saying a lightened flywheel is a better experience.. unless it was sarcasm :dontknow:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Tobyo wrote:
Well thats the first time I’ve ever heard someone saying a lightened flywheel is a better experience.. unless it was sarcasm :dontknow:

To be honest. I tend to agree with Waali. My old Carbon-D twin was a fair chunk lighter than OEM and that drove brilliantly. My new Exedy Compe-D race clutch is even lighter again, and while its not meant for street driving, i dont think it would be too bad. Obviously car modifiying is always a compromise, and you always lose something to gain something. But i dont think its as bad a trade off as some people think it is.

I noticed the light wieght setup really helps between shifts. The engine matchs rpms of the new gear way quicker on up shifts. And 'feels' less abusive on the enine/driveline. The gearbox also shifts (syncromesh) faster and again "feels" less bad. I cant heal/toe on down shifts, (least not consistently) So going down gears, having the light wieght rotating stuff i think really helps there as it just does the transition and rev match more gently and fluently.

The light wieght almost forces you to drive like your racing everywhere. What i mean by that is, If you shift up too slowly, the rpms fall below the rpms needed in the next gear. So its not well suited to driving like a grandma. You kinda have to always shift with a little urgency.

And when taking off from stand still, you have to give it a bit more revs, and be more deliberate with your clutch operation. Its less forgiving in that department. But once your used to it, its no big deal. And who cares. Because race car. What you lose in stop/start, you more than make up for in response while your actually driving.

Bear in mind, with my review, the rest of my car is so far removed from standard that simply putting a race clutch in a bog stock street car would probs have alot more negatives than positives.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 pm 

Vehicle: MY03 XT - Black

This may or may not be helpful but this has been my experience with throttle lag...

I bought a 2003 Forester XT (4EAT) with 170k on it about 6 months ago, and I was experiencing somewhat intermittent (but sometimes severe) throttle lag. By severe I mean it could take 1s or even a bit more to react to the pedal. It's difficult to say how long the lag actually was, but it could definitely feel like a long time when a short burst of acceleration was needed. There were a few times when it felt even a bit dangerous, as I would keep depressing the accelerator waiting for something to happen, and then all of a sudden the car would take off and launch too hard for the situation.

It's worth pointing out that my car is currently 100% stock. The lag I am describing was NOT turbo lag OR the 4EAT being slow to downshift - It definitely felt like the ECU being slow to react to pedal input (nothing at all for a second followed by a surge).

I did some research and "the internet" convinced me that what I was experiencing was lag caused by the DBW system - However I replaced the MAF/AFR about a month ago and I can fairly confidently say that it has resolved this for me.

I know that this won't be the fix for everyone with this issue (my car is pretty old), but I reckon that at least a few of the forum posts that come up when searching for "throttle lag" could be related to other issues with the car as opposed to the DBW system that seems to always cop the blame.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2