Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Wideband installed.... AFRs a bit all over the shop
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:33 pm 

Vehicle: 99'gt forester

So, was installing a PLX devices wideband and gauge last night, did most of the wiring and prep work to mount the gauge and controller.
Then came time to pull out the old o2 sensor, now in my head I thought this was going to be the hard part, but with nothing but a nudge with a shifter it was loose.
At this point everything was going sweet, until i tried to put the new wideband sensor in, but it doesn't fit into the bung, the thread looks fine but it seems the head of the sensor is wider than the opening just past the thread, when I compare the wideband sensor to the O2 sensor, it is about 2-3mm wider.

Has anyone experienced this or heard of this happening, I was under the impression that most bungs and sensors were relatively universal. It is an aftermarket dump off at wrx i got second hand, no idea what brand it is though.

From here I guess ill be looking to get a new bung put onto my dump pump.... how much would this usually cost?

Last edited by Elmo22 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Just my luck...Wideband sensor doesn't fit Bung..
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:35 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Elmo22 can the bung be rethreaded in situation to allow fitment?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:54 pm 

Forester4thetrees wrote:
Elmo22 can the bung be rethreaded in situation to allow fitment?

The thread of the sensor and the bung will match up ok as it is, its the head of the actual sensor that is too wide to fit into the bung, would have to widen the internal opening of the bung without changing the thread. Thinking its probably easier to get a new bung installed, and retain the narrowband o2 sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Find someone with m18x1.5 thread and chase the threads out. Probably full of carbon. Virtually all O2 sensors use m18 threads. And i cant see how the head of the sensor can be bigger than the minor thread diameter. (Approx 16.5mm)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 pm 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Silly question but - you have slid the cover off the sensor if there's one fitted .

Post subject: Rectified- Just my luck...Wideband sensor doesn't fit Bung..
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:19 pm 

Had a bit of time to look at this again last night.

No issues with the thread, turns out that when the bung was installed, they had only cut a 14-15mm hole into the dump pipe, the head of the wideband was 16mm and wouldn't fit through.

Took out Dump, drilled the bung open to 16m, took this chance to clean out the dump pipe, crazy the amount of crap that builds up when driving with untuned td04 for near 2 yrs (I am in the process of tuning at the moment).

My wife was driving it today and came home saying it feels like it is driving alot smoother, so Tomorrow I'm going to clean out the rest of the exhaust, fit the wideband and finish wiring into the ecu.

Then to get TH to have a play when he is in town.

Attachments:
narrow.wideband.JPG
narrow.wideband.JPG [ 143.08 KiB | Viewed 103 times ]
bunghole!.JPG
bunghole!.JPG [ 101.34 KiB | Viewed 114 times ]

Post subject: wideband installed AFR's a bit all over the shop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 pm 

Finished hooking up the wideband, the ratios I'm getting have me a bit puzzled....

At idle it is sitting at 14.6, regular driving with minimal boost it seems ok moving anywhere from 12-15.
But as soon as get onto boost say above 10psi, she max's out rich to 10.0

And if I coast along with no throttle (it is auto so revs drop right down) it leans out at 20.0, is this simply no throttle = no fuel? Or should I be concerned by this.

Driving wise, I'm getting a big stutter with WOT in 2nd around 3-4K rpm possibly due to lack of air?

Starting to think it might actually be an issue with my AFM.

Any thoughts?.

Post subject: Re: Wideband installed.... AFRs a bit all over the shop
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:21 pm 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Yeh 20 + coasting no throttle is normal - 14.7 idle / light throttle , your tuner will decide your wide open ratio is , mines around 11 as far as I can tell with the stock sensor but yeh ten is probably plenty on the safe / rich side - all sounds about normal really / he might lean it out a bit now you can see what's going on with the afr .
Don't know about the stutter , could be anything though yeh borrow a maf if you can if its not possible to log it and see how its looking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:38 am 

Vehicle: MY99 GT bare shell on stands

Hang on, you removed your stock rear O2 sensor, and are wondering why your car's suddenly driving like poop?

Your ECU is still expecting signal from the stock O2 sensor. You're supposed to add a second bung for the seperate wideband sensor, or if your wideband gauge offers a narrowband output, run that to the ECU so it still gets what it expects. If the stock ECU is now receiving no rear O2 signal, it will be confused.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 am 

andrew_k wrote:
Hang on, you removed your stock rear O2 sensor, and are wondering why your car's suddenly driving like poop?

Your ECU is still expecting signal from the stock O2 sensor. You're supposed to add a second bung for the seperate wideband sensor, or if your wideband gauge offers a narrowband output, run that to the ECU so it still gets what it expects. If the stock ECU is now receiving no rear O2 signal, it will be confused.

Yeh I have connected narrowband output from the wideband into the ECU.

I'm thinking its a matter of getting TH to have a play with it now while monitoring the AFR's, and possibly replacing the MAF if we cannot tune it into a safe and practical range

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]