Change font size


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 pm 
User avatar

I Say: addictted to turbo, yeah!
Vehicle: MY14 XT

Posts: 1235
Location: the world
What I have found so far.


Vic roads site - new legislation for fog lights.

"....A new law regarding the use of front fog lights was also announced today.

Minister for Roads and Ports, Tim Pallas, said that using front fog lights in any other conditions apart from hazardous weather conditions was now prohibited.

“Fog lamps turned on when there is no fog can cause glare, affecting other road users’ ability to see and drive safely,” Mr Pallas said.

“The new law brings the use of front fog lights in line with rules for using rear fog lights, reflecting community expectations and improving road safety.

“If drivers use their fog lights under conditions which are not foggy or hazardous they could face fines of $116.”

RTA - NSW

The following is straight out of the RTA Road Users’ Handbook:

“Front and rear fog lights must only be used in fog or rain, or when conditions such
as smoke and dust limit your vision. It is a legal requirement that once conditions
improve and you can see more clearly, the front and rear fog lights are switched
off.”

So if it’s raining, fog lights are also ok to use.

ACT RULES taken from RiotACT

If you have an extra set of factory installed white lights on the front of your car, separate to your headlights, that are not parking lights, then they are either fog lights or driving lights. If you have no idea which additional lights your car is equipped with, then follow this basic bit of advice; When driving amongst other traffic in clear conditions, day or night, you may not have either fog lights or driving lights on. Both types of lights are likely to dazzle other drivers and can prove a hazard to them and yourself if not used properly.

In a nutshell: Driving lights can only wired up to be turned on with high beams. Fog lights can only be wired to be turned on with parking lights, low beams or high beams. If you have a set of white lights on the front of your car that are not headlights or parking lights, and may be turned on independently of your headlights or parking lights, then chances are your additional lights are either illegal, or illegally wired.

_________________
MY14 SJ XT ICE SILVER


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:32 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY04 Liberty GT Premium

Posts: 1706
Location: Darwin, NT
I assume all other states are the same but in qld driving lights must be wired in a way that the are switched off when headlights/parkers are turned on.

_________________
Team Silver
Team Twinscroll Liberty GT
Team Northern Territory
still Team Sunshine Coast !

My 04 Liberty GT Premium
My 01 Foz - Sold :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:48 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY01 H6 Outback

Posts: 9944
Location: Central Victoria
Where's Shermy?

_________________
Image

Maccatakka's GT | Is gone (again)!

; ) wrote:
You sprout garbage like that Schermann, Silvia, Georgie, Troyy, Dutchy bloke used to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:40 am 
User avatar

I Say: The voices in my head are idiots
Vehicle: MY09 XT M, Red, Tuned, Brakes

Posts: 2447
Location: Sunbury Vic.
Makes me wonder how the Audi style high visibility lights are classified. I see Audi, Mercedes, HSV and probably more manufactures are fitting them so they must be legal for the cars to be registered.

Of course my next question is what is the legal difference between high visibility lights and the fog lights on my SH?

_________________
PCXT wrote:
Lets not bring up what we've spent on cars...
They all cost money.... But what else would you be doing if you weren't planing another mod for the foz?


http://www.kidoracing.com.au
KiDo Racing on OzFoz
High Performance Brakes, Coilovers, Turbo Rebuilds, Tunes and more coming.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:00 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: SH

Posts: 3451
Location: Newcastle, NSW
They are daytime running lights, pretty much just park lights

_________________
GT Gallery



sf502 wrote:
group buy on nipples?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:48 pm 
User avatar

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Posts: 17660
Location: Spearwood Perth WA
In wa you can be fined for using your foglights in suburban and residential areas. I dont use mine unless im in open country highways and its rainy, dusty, or otherwise poor visibility. To be honest they dont add much light anyway.

_________________
>>>My Ride<<<


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:50 am 
User avatar

I Say: addictted to turbo, yeah!
Vehicle: MY14 XT

Posts: 1235
Location: the world
good for high viz though, i always spot a car with lights on. should be law save lives

_________________
MY14 SJ XT ICE SILVER


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:11 pm 
User avatar

I Say: "wanna chip bro?"
Vehicle: MY04 XT Lux

Posts: 5538
Location: wollongong
I got stopped for a RBT the other night and the cop told me to turn them off as it was a $230 fine, might have been $216

_________________
MY-XT-LUX


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:41 am 
User avatar

I Say: The voices in my head are idiots
Vehicle: MY09 XT M, Red, Tuned, Brakes

Posts: 2447
Location: Sunbury Vic.
To answer my own question, Daytime Running Lamps are different to park lamps, head lamps, fog lights or driving lights. The technical requirements for wiring says it all:

Quote:
The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when
the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which
makes it possible for the engine to operate.

The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the front
fog lamps
13/
or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are
used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.

Furthermore, the lamps referred to in paragraph 5.11. are not switched on
when the daytime running lamps are switched ON.


That is taken from the Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 - Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005 which can be found here

_________________
PCXT wrote:
Lets not bring up what we've spent on cars...
They all cost money.... But what else would you be doing if you weren't planing another mod for the foz?


http://www.kidoracing.com.au
KiDo Racing on OzFoz
High Performance Brakes, Coilovers, Turbo Rebuilds, Tunes and more coming.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FOG and DRIVING LIGHTS ( the rules as we know it )
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:30 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY04 Liberty GT Premium

Posts: 1706
Location: Darwin, NT
Zch91 wrote:
I assume all other states are the same but in qld driving lights must be wired in a way that the are switched off when headlights/parkers are turned on.



XT_for_me wrote:
To answer my own question, Daytime Running Lamps are different to park lamps, head lamps, fog lights or driving lights. The technical requirements for wiring says it all:

Quote:
The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when
the device which starts and/or stops the engine is in a position which
makes it possible for the engine to operate.

The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the front
fog lamps
13/
or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are
used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.

Furthermore, the lamps referred to in paragraph 5.11. are not switched on
when the daytime running lamps are switched ON.


That is taken from the Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 - Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005 which can be found here



:thumbs:

_________________
Team Silver
Team Twinscroll Liberty GT
Team Northern Territory
still Team Sunshine Coast !

My 04 Liberty GT Premium
My 01 Foz - Sold :(


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
"Takka LE" for phpBB3