Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Compliance Certificate for 200kw atw Foz
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:20 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

Some rough numbers for 2012 years:
169kw fw = 125kw atw std XT
202kw fw = 150kw atw std XT + 20%
191kw fw = 141kw atw std S-Edition
229kw fw = 169kw atw std S-Edition + 20%
221kw fw = 163kw atw std STI
265kw fw = 196kw atw std STI + 20%

Also note that the STI is a closer weight to the Forester than the WRX !

VF-52 with Lava turbo blanket, 11psi Wastegate Spring, 3 port Company23 Anti-Surge BCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Headers & Up-pipe in Lava wrap, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, Front & Rear Whiteline Heavy Duty Anti-Sway bars, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for 98, Short shifter - 200kw atw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:39 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Air filter inside a sealed box???. Does anyone else see that this is physically impossible if you want the engine to actually run?

A sealed box means no air can travel in or out. A engine, by design and in operation needs to consume air. Not even OEM air boxes are sealed. They are actually open to the atmosphere, as that is exactly how the air enters the engine.

If he is an engineer. Im sure he will be able to explain to you how an engine can consume air with a sealed box closing off the air filter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:48 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

If you're looking at a temporary reduced-power tune anyway (and if E85 isn't a long-term part of the plan) your tuner might be able to work with your existing injectors to produce a temporary E85 tune (eg limiting boost & throttle angle to keep things under the limit of the current injectors and perhaps a lower rev-limit if needed).

It would still be a lot of fun in the lower half of the rev range with all the extra ignition advance :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

Hi Bram,
I absolutely agree with you.

The explanation went something like this......
" The air boxes need to be sealed enough not to let contaminants to come back out of the engine into the atmosphere - this is in reference to the vapours coming back through the inlet pipe - like blow-by from the crank and blow-off (like vapours from externally gated blow-off valves)". These happen overnight whilst the car is at rest.
This is why manufacturers balance the stock box and not have it as free flowing as they would for performance. i.e. it needs to have some restriction for reverse flow." Not completely sealed of course.....

I was certainly surprised, he was genuine, he did not charge me for the initial consult, however he was very firm in his position. He would not even start on the compliance path unless the air box was sealed. Even if I passed emissions, noise and brake assessments.

His credentials show him as being a Mechanical engineer and a registered RMS certifier.

VF-52 with Lava turbo blanket, 11psi Wastegate Spring, 3 port Company23 Anti-Surge BCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Headers & Up-pipe in Lava wrap, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, Front & Rear Whiteline Heavy Duty Anti-Sway bars, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for 98, Short shifter - 200kw atw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:11 pm 

Vehicle: foz gt 2001

How does the po po know your power output?
Apart from reading your comments on here are they gonna pay for a dyno run?
Pffffffft send me your excess money instead, I'll put it to better use.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:46 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

THUGLIFE wrote:
How does the po po know your power output?
Apart from reading your comments on here are they gonna pay for a dyno run?
Pffffffft send me your excess money instead, I'll put it to better use.

The Police and Environmental Authorities only need to see that your vehicle is not stock and thereafter you the owner will bear all the onus of proof that it meets ADR etc.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehic ... ifications in Queensland as I live there!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:53 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Corect. A police officer is not a mechanic. He does not need to know anything about your car or how it works. If he suspects its not conforming to state and federal standards, then he can request you get it inspected and passed, at your own expense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:56 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Marginally on point, but this is why I lean towards a quiet exhaust and subtle under-bonnet mods (eg black silicone bits, painting flashy aftermarket parts black, etc).

I try not to put a big cop-magnet on the car to set in motion a chain of frustrating events.

Having said that, loud exhaust and engine-bay jewellery is fun/awesome obviously so the subtle approach comes at its own price.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Yep Yowie,
I have had my share of Cop Magnets! And boy do they work a treat.

Sleepers and Q Cars are most desirable for the quite life!

If you can make it look less attractive and subtle do so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 pm 

Vehicle: foz gt 2001

Bram wrote:
Corect. A police officer is not a mechanic. He does not need to know anything about your car or how it works. If he suspects its not conforming to state and federal standards, then he can request you get it inspected and passed, at your own expense.

yep, trolling. had my fair share of inspections. thats why i run equal length headers + varex and stealth everything . sounds like an N/A h.o.n.d.a :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2