Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help in regards to 6 speen conversion
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:08 pm 

Vehicle: 1999 GT Black/Grey

vang wrote:
Looks pretty complete to me.

You could even go the cheaper option and just get the gearbox, shifter assembly, cross member, starter and clutch kit only and source out an automatic tailshaft.
Your driveshafts should bolt right up to the box and the rear diff should fit the 3.9 ratio.

you'd wanna confirm that though as I fluked my 6 speed conversion on my 99 GC8 using this gearbox and the setup i mentioned above. I believe the 99 GT has same running gear as the 99 GC8.
The drawback of this route is that it doesn't give you R180 diff and hubs to suit 2pot rears. which i regret.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Am i right by saying i cant use the 6 speed tailshaft that comes with this?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:23 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

jaylyin wrote:
vang wrote:
Looks pretty complete to me.

You could even go the cheaper option and just get the gearbox, shifter assembly, cross member, starter and clutch kit only and source out an automatic tailshaft.
Your driveshafts should bolt right up to the box and the rear diff should fit the 3.9 ratio.

you'd wanna confirm that though as I fluked my 6 speed conversion on my 99 GC8 using this gearbox and the setup i mentioned above. I believe the 99 GT has same running gear as the 99 GC8.
The drawback of this route is that it doesn't give you R180 diff and hubs to suit 2pot rears. which i regret.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

Am i right by saying i cant use the 6 speed tailshaft that comes with this?

Only if you do a body spacer delete or space down the center bearing carrier. Most people opt for an auto shaft for convenience

Last edited by Bram on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:31 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

jaylyin wrote:
Bram wrote:
Looks pretty complete.

The only other thing you may want to consider is getting all the crossmembers (engine crossmember, diff outrigger and rear crossmember) aswell. Aswell as steering knuckle (and steering rack and colum), and rear trailing arm mounts and front lower control arms (with LCA bushing). And maybe chuck in a set of rear alloy lateral arms too. (Dont think that car would have the alloy arms as original though.)

Not needed, but gives you scope to also do a full body spacer delete while your there and get everything else in line with STi pedigree.

Perhaps the seller will have those items aswell as it looks like a complete partout.

Is getting all the crossmembers youve mentioned above a must?

No. You are fine in using your originals. You would only want to get them if you do a spacer delete at the same time.

The number one rule when doing conversions into foresters that could affect 'body spacing' is keep everything matched as far as with spacers or without. The forester is basically a spaced up version of an impreza/wrx/sti. That is what gives it its 'SUV-ness'. If you are doing a driveline swap, it is the perfect time to also delete the spacer components.

Its not a job for the feint of heart. And there are alot of pitfalls to watch out for. But i consider it a nice upgrade on a lowered forester.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:40 pm 

Bram wrote:
jaylyin wrote:
Bram wrote:
Looks pretty complete.

The only other thing you may want to consider is getting all the crossmembers (engine crossmember, diff outrigger and rear crossmember) aswell. Aswell as steering knuckle (and steering rack and colum), and rear trailing arm mounts and front lower control arms (with LCA bushing). And maybe chuck in a set of rear alloy lateral arms too. (Dont think that car would have the alloy arms as original though.)

Not needed, but gives you scope to also do a full body spacer delete while your there and get everything else in line with STi pedigree.

Perhaps the seller will have those items aswell as it looks like a complete partout.

Is getting all the crossmembers youve mentioned above a must?

No. You are fine in using your originals. You would only want to get them if you do a spacer delete at the same time.

The number one rule when doing conversions into foresters that could affect 'body spacing' is keep everything matched as far as with spacers or without. The forester is basically a spaced up version of an impreza/wrx/sti. That is what gives it its 'SUV-ness'. If you are doing a driveline swap, it is the perfect time to also delete the spacer components.

Its not a job for the feint of heart. And there are alot of pitfalls to watch out for. But i consider it a nice upgrade on a lowered forester.

So if I get all the crossmembers for the body spacer delete from the GDB STi will it all line up matching with the existing hole on my Sf5? Also ive already purchased GC8 alloy control arms about a year ago, will this match up to everything? Im just trying to get all the pieces to the puzzle before i get someone to install and try and save as much money finding the parts myself. Thanks for all your help thus far :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:20 pm 

All the crossmembers will bolt up. But you will need to sort the steering uni joint and the GC8 front alloy arms will need a GDB bush pressed into the front joint to match the GDB crossmember. And the exhaust hanger will need to be cut and re-welded at the rear crossmember or modified at the muffler. I think thats it. But i may have missed something?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:34 pm 

Bram wrote:
All the crossmembers will bolt up. But you will need to sort the steering uni joint and the GC8 front alloy arms will need a GDB bush pressed into the front joint to match the GDB crossmember. And the exhaust hanger will need to be cut and re-welded at the rear crossmember or modified at the muffler. I think thats it. But i may have missed something?

Would it be my best interest to source a GD steering rack and find GDB front alloy arms? Also with the 6 speed conversion do the hubs change from 5x100 to 5x114.3 ahhhhhhhh so much to take in haha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:35 pm 

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS DONE WHAT IM TRYING TO TAKE ON haha sorry for yelling but hopefully people will hear me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 pm 

Vehicle: Rather not say...

I recommend buying an STI and welding your Forester body to it, sounds easier

GONE: MY13 Spec R - black

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:14 pm 

I Say: Keep the hammer down
Vehicle: 02GT/6MT/Modtown

jaylyin wrote:
Bram wrote:

Would it be my best interest to source a GD steering rack and find GDB front alloy arms? Also with the 6 speed conversion do the hubs change from 5x100 to 5x114.3 ahhhhhhhh so much to take in haha

You'll need to the steering column as well or a custom uni.
Yes, defiantly if doing the GDB crossmember.
Hubs are 100 for 01-04 and 114.3 for 05+

Always getting logged out? Drop the .au, ozfoz.com.au

Wanted to buy: Rays Volk CE28N 17x8 +44 PCD5x100 10 spoke, Qty: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:43 pm 

Converting to 5x4.5" hubs has its benefits. It opens up a large variety of rim choices that simply dont exist in the 5x100 size. The front bearing is a stronger unit. This is only really helpfull if you are tracking the car and do alot of high G cornering. The 5x4.5 bearings stand up to the cornering better. They handle the heat from hard braking better. And you dont get as much pad knock back as you do with 5x100 when you go around a corner. (The 5x100s can move so much that the disc moves off line and actually pushs the pad back in the caliper.) And the other benifit with the fronts is when you do need to replace the bearing. Its a simple swap out unit. Where the 5x100 design require pressung and assembly of the bearing. And the need to fully remove the upright aswell.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next