Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: 98 GT forester, later model engine replacement HELP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 pm 

Vehicle: 98 GT Forester

My forester has a leaking head gasket and I’ve been quoted $3000 to do both head gaskets or $6000 for a rebuild,
Im trying to just find a replacement motor to drop in because My car has a lot of k’s on it so I’m not sure if I start to pull down the motor whether I’m going to end up having to rebuild the whole thing (which I don’t have time to do myself) I’m hoping to find a replacement for it but all the same vintage have huge k’s on them, I’m just trying to find out exactly how hard it is to fit a later model ej20 Dohc turbo motor, I understand the engine management side is the issue mainly which is why I’m trying to figure out how hard it is to just untilise the later model motors ecu and wire it in. Any help would be great, I really don’t want to spend huge money and I’m usually more strapped for time then money.

Post subject: Re: 98 GT forester, later model engine replacement HELP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:15 am 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Most the motors from that era will probably have a few ks on them and are all prone to head gasket failure , if you plan to keep the car and put an unknown 2nd hand motor in there's a good chance you'll be up for head gaskets again anyway , I'd take a higher k well looked after motor over a lower k motor if unknown condition from a wreckers ...
It's pot luck but I got mine head gaskets done at 260 thou and the wife's liberty at 220 .. Both still going strong .
Otherwise if keeping and you've got the coin , get a new 207 short block and some arp head studs and you'll be set .
Can't help with the Ecu side , I'd guess the later ones would be avcs etc , which wouldn't be compatable with your Ecu for starters

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]