Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: New to subaru land. Bought a 98 gt and it has a big flat spo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 pm 

I Say: If it ain't broke... pull it apart and improve it!!!
Vehicle: 98 gt - black

Evening all. Firstly I want to express my sincere apologies if this has been covered a few times. It is extremely difficult to search the forums from a phone.

I purchased a 1998 gt forester a few days ago and am slowly fixing up a few things. Have already removed a wrongly installed boost T and plumbed back in standard solenoid. But around 40kmp/h (auto [Bought it for the missus]) the car seems to hesitate/become sluggish, till boost kicks in. Put it on the G-scan and work and there were history codes logged for air flow sensor and a few others. Will check on Thursday to see if any have come back.

It also smells like it may be running rich. I do not k ow any history on the vehicle. And plan to go right through it and do timing belt, Plugs, leads all filters ECT.

Seems to idle fine. It could be a little slow to start but again not to familiar with the vehicle. It does have an exhaust leak from dodge sports exhaust and am currently trying to find a stock exhaust to try and make it a little quieter.

Again sorry if this issue has been covered. Just trying to get an action plan together. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated

cheers, Jono

Post subject: Re: New to subaru land. Bought a 98 gt and it has a big flat spo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 am 

Vehicle: 00 gt

Hi jonho, there are lots of info of people with similar issues on here. It can be a bit of a can of worms with multiple causes.

If the afm has thrown a code i would start there. Its a common cause.

I have changed plugs leads and oxygen sensor which all made small improvements.

I would have an old diff back rusting away somewhere but my stock center section has rusted through. Probably better trying to get local shop to make you something. Maybe try sunspares

While you are doing maintenance a can of subaru upper engine cleaner couldn't hurt

Another question would be what turbo do you have? The stock tf035 or someone put a td04 on? Id be a bit suspicious with an exhaust and boost T.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:44 pm 

From what I can tell they have just put a small cannon on the back. I do plan to use the upper cylinder clean as well as all maintenance. Plugs leads check timing belt. Also tappet gaskets. I believe it is the standard turbo but am not 100% sure. After running some 98 through it... It has alot more pick up in it now. But fuel economy is horrible. 370 to a tank of highway kms. Guess it just one of those things to just get all general maintanance item done and start fresh so to speak. Will look further into the arm.

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. As for the exhaust. I was told the dump pipe had holes in it but to me it looks like the cat/resonator after the flange from the dump pipe. Hopefully I'll get some hoist time over the weekend and have a proper look at it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

Unfortunately fuel economy is not great. 10l/100km on the hiway, 12l/100km around town is about as good as you can expect. I managed 8 with initial throttle happy tune but now does the above numbers since being on the dyno.... does make 120atw with tf035 and auto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 pm 

I worked it out at about 18l/100km
Sorry that's 18Ltrs per 100km mostly highway driving
So this wouldn't of been helping :( didn't realise it was so bad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:12 pm 

Vehicle: MY98 Forester GT

O2 sensor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:16 pm 

Vehicle: MY98 Forester GT

also check you don't have an intake leak (eg. the inlet hose partially on the turbo lip or cracked)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:06 am 

Vehicle: JDM SF STi Pure White

Yeah, that one is running way too rich, check O2 and intake, probably post turbo, running rich probably means you have a boost leak somewhere.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]