Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: CAMS to make Head/neck restraints mandatory
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:05 pm 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

I'm adding this thread just for some info about the actual requirement for these devices. I'm no expert and am just sharing some of the limited research I have done.

For anyone following H-ares GC8 thread recently it is hard to miss the persistence of russgt's (great) advice to get a hans device when using a seat harness (4, 5 or 6 point).

For a while now there CAMS have been letting it be known they intend making it mandatory to have a head and neck restraint shortly.

CAMS wrote:
From 1 July, 2014 all international and national circuit races, road events and off road events, except where specifically exempted due to the type of vehicle;

From 1 January, 2015, all state circuit races, road events and off road events, except where specifically exempted due to the type of vehicle.

This does not include Speed events and Auto tests.

https://www.cams.com.au/media/news/late ... -mandatory

That last line saves most of the regular people out there for a track day from a spend of well over $1k on a helmet and a hans device (plus more). You need to be running with a harness to actually use a hans device and most people just getting into track days still use the standard 3 point seatbelt. A helmet, with the appropriate standards sticker, and suitable attire should be enough. As always, check the events Supplementary Regulations.

For a long time it has been recommended that competitors wear a "horse collar", like the one pictured below. These are usually between $80 and $120. They can be worn with a normal seat belt.

They'll reduce the amount of "whiplash" you could get in a crash, which would be more than you'd normally get as you've got the extra weight of a helmet your neck is supporting.

I have a harness, what does this mean and what should I do?
If you're just running in speed events a hans device will not be mandatory......for a few years at least. Whether you wear one is up to you.....it's your neck/skull/body. You just have to make an informed decision. A harness does improve the "feel" you get when pushing your car hard, but it doesn't make it safer.

What is a head and neck restraint and why wear one?
Trackpedia wrote:
A Head & Neck Restraint (H&NR) is basically an extension to your helmet which protects your neck in a collision. It lowers the strain on your neck to a level that hopefully avoids a basilar skull fracture. Once you secure your body in a car with a harness then your head is still 'floating' and unrestrained (except by your neck!). You are also wearing a helmet which adds mass to the already substantial mass of your head. Given the body is restrained by harnesses and your head is only restrained by your neck then the neck will have a serious load placed on it in a front or side impact. Remember, your harnesses need to support 3000lbs of force. Your neck can't do that. A Head and Neck restraint is designed to absorb that energy so the neck load is reduced substantially.
An estimated 50% of racing deaths are caused by basilar skull fractures. The Isaac devices manufacturer claims that this type of injury occurs at 4000 newtons or 900 pounds of force on your neck. All certified H&NR's will limit the load on your neck to less than this in a 70G impact. (edit: in late 2007 the SFI 38.1 allowable neck tension limit was reduced to 3200 Newtons)
As you're reading this wiki (any wiki), remember that it is perpetually edited by the community and therefor all information should be validated before making a final decision on purchasing a device.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints

Okay, I want to wear a "hans" device, can I just buy the device itself and I'm good to go?
Unfortunately you can't. For and actual "hans" device to work correctly you need other items that are compatible. Obviously the helmet needs to come with the required posts (or holes for them to be mounted). The cheapest helmet I have seen with these is an RJays open faced helmet for $199. That is with the threaded holes, so you still need to buy the posts. Even your seat needs to be hans compatible. Most SFI or FIA approved harnesses are also compatible, but how you orientate the straps is very important. There is a guide to show how they need to run in the manual that comes with the hans device.

Is a hans type device the "silver bullet" fix for protecting my neck/skull?
No. For frontal impacts they are great, but for side impacts they aren't that flash. That is why most "race" cars have seats with big wings around where the helmet is and is why F1 drivers now sit so low in the car.

Are there any other "brands" of head and neck restraint out there?
Yes there are. There are a few listed on this web page.
http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints

Update 06/04/14
Here are a few more options other than "Hans".

First is the Simpson Hybrid. This one can be worn with or without a harness. Still needs a helmet with posts though and is available in a few different specifications (and priced accordingly).

People into dirt bike racing should be familiar with the Leatt brand. They also make a model for 2 wheeled motorsport called the MRX. It looks like you need a harness and as usual a helmet with posts.

Then there is the NecksGen
http://www.necksgen.com/necksgenproducts.html

There are even more out there that don't rely on a seat harness, they are a harness that you wear that is attached to the helmet. I've seen some and I'll add them as I get info on them.

Last edited by be_oh_be on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

OnlineProfile  

Post subject: Re: CAMS to make Head/neck restraints mandatory
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:26 pm 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

How timely Bob..... :lol: good post. :thumbs:

Yes, mostly due to Russ's comments, my google/ebay searches have changed from 'VF23-34' & 'sti brembo' to 'Hans device'.......

A purchase is imminent, probably next week. It's easy to spend money on 'go fast' bits but safety needs to be first and foremost! I want to enjoy motor racing as long as Barry Crocker..... (mid 70's :shock: ! And right up the top of sprint class!)

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:48 pm 

I Say: Back in the Game.
Vehicle: Blue MY16 Ts Sti foz

Interesting reading guys
Safety first :-)

MY15 Premium Sti now Flexing to 240-300ws 12.4 @112mph had fueling issues :-(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:32 pm 

I Say: I run with scissors....
Vehicle: MY05 XT - 6MT Obsidian Black

I know people in the off road racing scene dislike using them due to the large amount of bumps/jumps/extremely rough terrain, apparently some of them find it more tiring wearing one. (They also do a lot of KM's per day over multiple days. Think Fink desert race)

But sometime soon this year they will be made mandatory for them.

The other thing a few guys are complaining about is the cost where a navigator is involved. Not every car runs with the same navigator each race so the initial outlay cost for the car is x2.

All in all I'd wear one optionally now even if they are not mandatory.
IMO Every little bit helps.

MY05 XT DCCD 6mt-Borgwarner EFR7670-Forged-Haltech elite-Flex fueled- 98 = 305.1kwatw @23psi E70=340.0kwatw @23psi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:50 pm 

For a team providing a restraint system for a navigator it would only be an extra $600, assuming the navigator buys their own helmet. Then again like helmets, these things aren't one size fits all either, though they fit a reasonably wide range of humans for each size device.

Part of the argument on the "for" side is that they cost less than most people pay for 2 tyres and last a lot longer. I know the actual "hans" devices can be recertified every 5 years (new tether and some rubber strips).

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:24 pm 

I Say: I f'kn love driving on LSD!
Vehicle: MY09 XTP WRB 6MT

Great thread Bob, subscribed. The horse collar looks like a good intermediate step for those of us racing their daily with sash belts too :thumbs:

MY09 XTP 6MT WRB | 242kW | 'Forged' | ECUTEK RaceRom 98+E85 | STi 6MT | ID1000's | AEM CAI | Perrin Inlet | MRT TMIC | Killer B ELH | PTP Blanket | BNR EVO3 16G | TCP TBE | BBS RS-GT (street) | SSR TypeC (track) | Brembo | Cusco | KiDo | Whiteline | STi | KartBoy | Prova | Saikou Michi | Ganador
GARAGE SALE HEL Rear Lines, SH9 4.44 R160, Liberty 3.9 R160

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:02 pm 

Simpson Hybrid and Leatt MRX added.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:18 pm 

I Say: You get in the bowl.

haha sorry to harp on! But i think if one or 2 people read these threads and get one, and later need it in an accident then its worth it!

This video basically sums up the difference. The driver is unable to even hold his head up due to torn tendens in his neck. Imagine that! I am in pain for days just sleeping wrong!

http://www.kap.industries

Search User: @kapindustries on Instagram!

https://www.facebook.com/Kap-Industries ... 405181755/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:04 pm 

I Say: Mum, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot! Sorry son, you can't do both!! :D
Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury AT, white

What constitutes a compatible seat?

(Subscribed)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:41 pm 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

I spoke with Revoloutionracegear today (again) & it looks like they can do a complete set up (Helmet & device) for around the $950 mark. I think that's with a Bell helmet, could possibly be cheaper on eBay.....

At that sort of price it's very 'entry level' gear but it's better than nothing and it probably matches my track skills.... :lol: it's still not cheap though... but I have dropped 950 on go fasts bits without batting an eyelid plenty of times....... I think it's time to be responsible, heading out there tomorrow to check them out.

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next