Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: SH Foz - 270 kW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:46 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

Dilbert,

You have not mentioned what clutch you have. I am curious, what do you have in it ??

I am looking at next steps, so keen to understand what choices you have made.

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:05 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

I asked Got It Rex what clutch is required for 270kw atw and the response was 'just a normal heavy duty clutch is fine' (I have the Exedy HD for mine). The other interesting thing is the Five speed. My friend who has the same setup (Blouch 1.5 / 270kw atw) in a WRX takes it to the track (Winton) and has never had a single issue with his five speed (he is rather harsh on the changes). There are others running 300kw atw with a five speed with no issues. Of course this means no 4k launches but it does show a lot of it comes down to the driver having no mechanical understanding or sympathy which results in breakage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT

Hey nomads64, I have an Exedy HD in mine. It has about 35,000 km on it, it looked like it had a while to go given I dont do many km per year (~10,000).
I try to look after the 5 speed, hopefully it will give me some time to save up to get a 6 speed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:36 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

Hi Dilbert,
Excellent choice - as with Tobyo, I have the same.

I concur with Tobyo, it will really depend on how you drive it. Most of the US forums stick to having the clutch as the breaking point, as it is the cheapest to replace. Hence, why ceramic plates for std transmissions are not recommended.

After the clutch, comes the transmission, the 6MT usually (but not always) has strengthened components, which then means it moved the breaking point to the axles.

The biggest issue from the research I have done, is the 2nd gear in the transmission for 5MT is the large torque that is applied with highly modified engines. Hence, rather than a 6MT upgrade, maybe just look at a 5MT upgrade with the right strengthened components.

Remembering that the more you change gears, the clutch comes back into play ! It is all a puzzle, but depends on what your final target is, with very important factors: Is it fun and whether is is drivable!

The only suggestion I have is to think ahead as to what the target will be, as it may keep moving.... which is half the enjoyment.

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2