Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: SG SubaXtreme bar fitting - Exposed intake baffle?
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:15 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 X Dark Blue

Hey, first post, looking for some advice from those with SubaXtreme bars. I recently bought an SG9 Forester with a SubaXtreme bar already fitted. Very happy with it and plan to do more minor off road mods for camping/light 4wd duties, but wondering what others did about hiding the exposed baffle and window washer bottles that sit underneath the bar.

I know you can delete or modify the washer bottle and plan to do that one day, but what about the intake baffle on the drivers side? I did a bit of researching, saw that a lot of people had removed/cut them off, and so decided to cut the bottom of my baffle off, meaning that the car is drawing air from the wheel well instead of the engine bay. Here's a picture taken from google of a similar Subie intake baffle, one pipe is drawing from the engine bay, the other is feeding into the filter box, I cut the reservoir off as in the picture. My intake was already missing a silencer on the inside of the engine bay that sits beneath the filter box.

The car idled rough for the first few minutes before correcting itself. In theory all it should be doing is drawing colder air. I'm now worried that I've messed up the MAF sensor reading and will be getting poor mileage/lowered performance, also concerned that I've lowered the intake point by a good 10cm and exposed it, and now have to worry about sucking water into the intake. I might try to find a black aftermarket intake baffle, or paint a stock one black, to make it less obvious. Either that or just bypass the whole thing and fit a snorkel. What have other people done?

Here are some photos of before and after (except I'd already cut it before taking the photos). My problem might be uncommon as it's an NA and the turbo models don't have the same ugly low hanging intake baffle.

I also test fitted the IPAA LED 5" lights I bought, they look great and fit in the bar well. Still need to get those wired up.
Larger tyres & better condition wheels, then a SubaXtreme sump guard are on the list after that.

Ta,
Sam

Post subject: Re: SG SubaXtreme bar fitting - Exposed intake baffle?
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 pm 

Alright I think my solution is to find one out of a turbo XT. Looks like an Identical fit (hopefully) but has a shorter toilet reserve bit, and is black.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:38 am 

Vehicle: 02 SF5 NA

I'm not too familiar with SGs, but is it possible to something similar to this?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:27 pm 

Love it man! I'm about to do the same install on my 07 SG!

Are you able to take some closer pics of the install? I'm curious on how the previous owner went about mounting the bullbar, and whether they removed the headlight trim on the bar, and/or removed the bumper clips on the car?

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:19 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

I find it really odd that they would design a front bar that would leave all that exposed. Maybe worth giving them a call and see what the go is.

The pic looks like you have part of the wheel arch linner hanging down aswell. Maybe they have some extra plates that cover those bits or the lower part of the bar is not intended to be trimmed???

Could you fab up a plastic/ rubber splash guard between the wheel arch and bar?

Someone might make you an alloy snorkle
http://www.aaaexhaust.com.au/snorkles/

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:28 pm 

Quote:
I find it really odd that they would design a front bar that would leave all that exposed. Maybe worth giving them a call and see what the go is.

The bullbar is not actually designed for this version of the sg, it is for the previous version. However people do modify them to fit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:12 am 

Yup, it's designed for the earlier SG, but can be fitted to the facelift SG and looks better IMO. Apologies for the crap photos.

So this was quite a few weeks ago now, but in the end I solved it by replacing most of the offending bits with bits from an earlier SG. I wanted to keep things as 'stock' as possible, so I fitted an pre facelift SG washer bottle in the engine bay (smaller capacity), and fitted the black intake baffle instead, which makes it impossible to see. Can confirm that it is otherwise identical.

First the washer bottle. It slots nicely into the engine bay between the fuel filter and the battery, which is where it was mounted in the earlier SG. I shortened the hoses a little and passed them through into the engine bay, used the pumps from the donor vehicle as they are different. The pump wires had to be cut and re wired, the plugs are also different. I had an auto elec do this as I was having lights fitted but it is probably something you could do yourself.

The bottle mounts to the same bracket which holds the fuse box, so that was easy. The other mounting bracket next to that is missing in the facelift SG, I took it from the donor vehicle but really the bottle is pretty sturdy once the support is drilled. Here is the missing bracket from the donor car.

I drilled a 32mm support hole into a metal bracket, which a bump in the washer bottle slots into. I just used a photo of the donor car as a reference and took my time, here's the photo posted below. The facelift SG models have two small holes drilled in this plate instead.

Bunnings had a 5 pack hole saw drill set for $7 that included the right size.

I also trimmed the wheel arches and removed the engine splash guard - I'll be replacing it with a metal bash plate at some point.

Finished right (intake baffle) side

Finished left (washer bottle) side, also lights fitted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:26 am 

dauntless244 wrote:
I'm not too familiar with SGs, but is it possible to something similar to this?

Not on the SGs, would mean deleting the MAF sensor.

SquiresSquire wrote:
Love it man! I'm about to do the same install on my 07 SG!
Are you able to take some closer pics of the install? I'm curious on how the previous owner went about mounting the bullbar, and whether they removed the headlight trim on the bar, and/or removed the bumper clips on the car?
Cheers

Subaxtreme have youtube instructional videos that show the fit in way more detail than I could help with - Here's the later model SG fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzdkvUpsJFA

*edit to say I realised this is the other bar being fitted.*

There are a few other members who fitted earlier bars themselves and documented the process, if I come across the threads I'll PM you, but I can say that everything still must come off...
I might be taking mine off to get to my left headlight ( :roll: ) if I can be bothered to sort out that condensation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:14 am 

Vehicle: 00 gt

Great job using the earlier bits. Looks good.

Not going to smash the washer bottle etc if you hit something etc.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:40 am 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: 97 silver, 09 red Foresters

Very nice Foz!!

Sorry I missed this, I would have suggested a snorkel. It would complete the offroad look, get rid of the snorkus (what that resonator & piping is called) & provide safe, cold air to the engine. Plus it sounds great at WOT above 3k rpm lol.

The part of the wheel arch trim hanging down just needs to be trimmed. Also need to get some alloy sheeting & cover up under the front, there's wiring loom, etc there that shouldn't be exposed to sticks & rocks. All this is normally done during a bullbar installation

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]