Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 16 inch wheels on 2016 Forester
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:16 pm 

Vehicle: MY2016, Quartz Blue

Hi all.

I don't think I have seen a thread re fitting 16 inch wheels on a 2016 Forester with standard 17 inch wheels, and I had been wondering if they would fit. So, I realised today that the easy solution was to take a wheel of our Liberty Exiga wagon and see what happened.

I can tell you you that on my 2.5i-L they fit without a problem so I am happy about that.

That got me wondering about a few things.

1) If I ever considered a 2nd set with 16 wheels does anyone know what the maximum tyre size would be? I have ordered a 2 inch lift kit off Nachaluva and I believe that a 225 / 65 / 17 will fit without rubbing and a 235 / 65 / 17 should fit but with some slight rubbing. Anyone know what would be the maximum size without rubbing for a smaller 16 inch wheel? If someone knows what would fit with some slight rubbing that might still be of interest to me and others as well! I have included a photo with standard 17 inch wheel / tyre and another with the 16 inch wheels off the Exiga.

2) I have read posts about what to do with a larger spare tyre, and some have hammered away and others have put on a rear bar and carried it that way. At this stage I don't want to do either and have thought that the solution would be to carry one on a roof rack. I am guessing some of you have done this and am wondering if you chose steel or alloy and why? Alloy would be heaps lighter and I am guessing more than strong enough for driving up the beach which is where I expect to off-road mainly. No doubt the weight saving would be a good thing. Would an alloy roof rack be strong enough to carry a spare tyre and do the main brands have any special device to secure the tyre? I am guessing that as long as the overall weight is within the load limit there shouldn't be a problem and that the lighter weight of an alloy roof rack would give the ability to carry extra weight, beyond that of the rack. Even so, I might get other ideas one day and might try something a bit rougher. How strong is strong enough is what I am wondering! I would never be doing anything too extreme but I guess a long corrugated road could potentially cause problems? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have attached a photo of my stock tyre in the spare wheel well and hope these photos work as attachments.

3) I am also just wondering about sump guards. I am considering the SubaXtreme sump guard and my understanding is that it should be sufficient for sand driving but could crack if hit sufficient hard as it is brittle due to the cast alloy design. On the other hand it airbag compliant. I am going to enquire re a plate alloy sump guard as suggested by Nachaluva, although I am thinking that this probably isn't airbag compatible as I believe it is much stronger. It will be good to get the details on this option either way. Just for reference, as I was doing a bit of reading I came across Crossbred Performance in Qld. However, when I sent him an email he replied saying that he hadn't made a sump guard for a couple of years now and I presume not currently wanting to make any. So, I am putting this here just in case someone comes across that as a potential option.

Anyway, I would be interested in any comments.

Thanks.

Attachments:
Stock spare.JPG
Stock spare.JPG [ 678.09 KiB | Viewed 129 times ]
Forester standard.JPG
Forester standard.JPG [ 920.39 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]
Forester side on with 16  inch.JPG
Forester side on with 16 inch.JPG [ 913.46 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]

Post subject: Re: 16 inch wheels on 2016 Forester
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:15 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 X Silver

Hey mate, I see you have an SJ but on the SH's (09-13) which are quite similar, many people run 215/70/16 all terrains (707mm overall diameter) without any issues. On my lifted SH I have 225/70/16 (721mm OD) which is almost identical in size to 225/65/17 (724mm OD)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:28 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

tyre size calculators are your friend. here is an example:
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?wi ... 0#isPage=1

its also worth playing around with a few different sizes in relation to cost. a common size can be a lot cheaper then an obscure size. eg. my old bt-50 went from stock size to 31x10.5 and was cheaper with a set of new alloys then continue with standard size.

some people deflate the spare to squeeze it in. not ideal but its another option.
when looking at roof rack options dont forget to check the max weight the car was designed for also. (a wicked corolla with roof top tent ?would not support 150kg of persons up there)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:52 pm 

Thanks cbean and whitfoz. I will keep those tyre sizes in mind and think I might just deflate the spare as suggested. I have a compressor already luckily. Maybe it's because I have mainly just stuck with sand but I haven't had a flat tyre for more than 20 years and that was on the road! So, if something does happen the flat spare will have to do!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:27 am 

Hi cbean.

Just wondering if you get any tyre rubbing with your 235/70/16 and 2 inch lift?

For those who do have tyre rubbing at full lock or whatever does this do any damage to the wheel liner or is it just noisy when rubbing! Maybe little to none if just minor but still noisy? Less as the tyre wears?

Finally cbean, I see you have a dropped rear subframe. Can you or anyone tell me what this acheives? Is it a big job or small job? I don't know about this at all and would be interested in knowing about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 am 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: '97 Forester

Hey Subaru Man,

225/70/16 is the largest you can fit with no rubbing, although there might be a very slight amount in the rear but that can be easily fixed.

Fitting the tyre on the roof is a good option. I just went with a steel basket, most aren't too heavy in our sizes but if you can find an alloy one that would be better. Some Anaconda stores still have the Yakima basket on sale at ~$175 but most have sold out. The static weight isn't a problem (eg people sleeping in a RTT) it's the dynamic weight that's important (eg weight while driving over potholes, corrugations etc). On our Subaru Extreme 8 Deserts Challenge, we did a total of 10,000kms, most of which was on outback roads with extreme corrugations, potholes, washouts, etc. They broke my phone & satnav, a chip in my windscreen became a large crack, the reverse lights stopped working, the central locking stopped working & the bolts holding the roof racks vibrated loose! It was tough!!! The worst conditions was on the Gunbarrel Hwy where I had 80kg+ on the roof. Apart from the bolts it was fine. (PS: use thread locker on those bolts!)

Dropping the rear subframe maintains the rear suspension geometry & keeps the rear wheels centred so you can fit bigger tyres without rubbing.

Hey cbean, nice to see your Foz on here!

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:47 am 

cbean, in the picture you attached I just noticed that you appear to have some recovery points on the front of your vehicle. Did you get this done as part of the fitting of your nudge bar? I bought a rear recovery hitch yesterday and am interested in knowing what you have done here re front recovery.

If anyone else has any thoughts please let me know! I am aware that you can use an equaliser strap being the two tie down points but my understanding is that this is not ideal but better than using just one of the tie down points.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:16 am 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience deflating deflating tyres to squeeze a larger size into the spare wheel well? I have been thinking about a few options and yesterday I put the existing spare wheel into an old steel cage which I previously had on my X-Trail. It seemed about the right size cage. Anyway, the spare wheel took up a lot of the available space and didn't leave a lot of spare room, and definitely not width wise.

So, I then deflated my existing spare wheel and as I thought doing this didn't make much difference. So, my question is how much 'bashing' is required to get a larger but deflated tyre into the spare wheel well? Is it very difficult or not overly? Has anyone done this with either a 225 / 65 /17 or a 225 / 70 / 16? I pumped up my deflated tyre with an ARB compressor and it only took about 90 seconds so I figure that would work assuming I can get one of these tyre sizes to fit in the first place.

I am still open to putting a tyre on the roof and wonder if there is anything stopping my from putting an over-sized roof cage / platform? I had a look yesterday on the Rhino-Rack site. The larger sizes are dearer and weigh more but they could still be an option? I have seen some 4WD's with over-sized platforms (extending over edges of roof) and maybe this is why they have gone oversize. To put a spare wheel on top and to put say an Oztent on as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:08 pm 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: '97 Forester

I'd try to fit the spare tyre in the spare tyre well. people have done it on SG & earlier Foresters before & it would probably be easier on a SJ

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:32 am 

I am just about to purchase a new Foz and have the same basic question but it gets a bit confusing. Will 16s clear the brakes on a diesel? US forums go on about the XT having bigger brakes which 16s don't fit over but I don't know if the diesels are the same as they have a larger towing capacity that the NA variants.

I was looking at BRZ/86 rims, load rating aside and want to know if they would clear. I looked at the clearance on the 17 inch Forester rims in the dealership and there isn't a whole heap. I don't particularly want to go for aftermarket rims as the OEM look isn't that bad. If 16s are going to be hit and miss, I'll try and option down to the 17's (getting top spec) and put ATs on it rather than bugger around with aftermarket 16 inch rims.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next