Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fraser Island and Cape York
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:37 am 

I Say: Hurp Durp
Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

My mates are wanting to do a Fraser Island trip shortly (not during school holidays) and I'm wondering if anyone has taken their Foz around the tracks on Fraser yet?

I've taken my Foz around Rainbow beach and to Double-Island point with relative ease.

Plus, while I'm at it, do you think a stock height Foz can do the Cape York trip? Minus all the hardcore 4x4 tracks.

Post subject: Re: Fraser Island and Cape York
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:22 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

My old L series made frequent trips. Much better with a body lift. Haven't taken my sf5 because I have access to an 80series. If you went from in skip you would have no worries. If you want to start going inland tracks the risk of getting stuck, CV boot tearing or plastic under tray destroying will increase. You would expect to be grading the tracks with the undercarriage.

I would avoid lake Mackenzie as you would most likely get stuck. Also trying to go to kingfisher from other parts of the island. You should get over Indian head with good techniqye , won't make it past nigarla rocks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:47 am 

Vehicle: MY15 2.5L CVT 50mm Lift

Just recently been to Fraser and had no trouble going to Lake Mackensie and Kingfisher and back across to the east beach.

I do have a 50mm lift from Nachaluva, a bash plate from Subiextreme and Geolander ATS

Attachments:
DSC01572.JPG
DSC01572.JPG [ 434.11 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:31 pm 

I didn't know you could get a 50mm lift for the new ones. How was getting into kingfisher? Last time I herd the last steep hill was in bad condition with lots of lumps and root ledges. CVT should go well on the sand?

The question is about taking a stock standard one is it not McLeod?

It does depend a lot on track condition. No rain and at the end of school holidays can make deep/ soft/ rutted tracks.

I think minimum you would like an alloy bash plate. Snatch strap and shovel. Rubber floor mats can work as a poor mans max trax. Would be hesitant to drop tyre pressures below 25 on street tryres.
Have had a set of Yokohama at-s extremely good in the sand. Set of them on 15-16's and a lift and you would be laughing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:56 am 

Vehicle: MY15 2.5L CVT 50mm Lift

I think the road to king fisher from the east coast would be best traversed with a lift kit. Lift kit from SubieliftOZ Nachaluva

I dented my bash plate after dropping a wheel in a hole at central station.

the last section of road into king fisher has a timber across the road

Also CVT was great on the sand, didnt need to use X-mde either

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:46 pm 

I have the alloy bash plate, some maxtrax and a shovel but no lift.

Taroona, did you think that you could do most of the tracks without the lift? Just got no idea how difficult it is compared to the tracks around rainbow beach, which I can/have easily done many times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:52 pm 

If you have a bash plate and max trax you should be pretty right. The main road from wanggoolba creek to eurong is divided and usually well maintained. Majority wouldn't be any harder then the fresh water track. Maybe some longer sections of soft stuff.

The only problem with standard height would be you would grade the tracks more with your under body. Doesn't mean you will be getting stuck every 50meters but just gets more sand into everything and need more momentum to get through the soft stuff.

( I had torn two CV boots on my L series from sticks poking out the side of the tracks.) Probably no greater risk then driving around rainbow.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got stuck once or twice. There should be plenty of people willing to lend a hand. Just avoid cowboys wanting to snatch the nose of your car ( probably more at rainbow). A quick dig/ tracks and push by hand should see you on your way.

I would still avoid kigfisger. Wouldn't get past ngkala rocks. Inspect the track over Indian first and be careful where you park at eli creek.

Lake McKenzie is a lovely spot and worth a visit and central station worth a look. Just visit the lake conscious it may be a little more challenging.

I'm off to the island Wednesday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:51 pm 

whitfoz wrote:
I'm off to the island Wednesday.

Thanks for the tips. I went there with my family years ago, we hired a troopy which was unstoppable.
My friend I'm going with this time has a brand-new BT-50 so I don't think we'll be doing the rocks haha, probably sticking with the easier / moderate stuff.

Would be great to see a few pics when you're back, we're headed there on the 29th.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:30 pm 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: '97 Forester

With a stock Foz (which model?) you might have trouble on some inland tracks, but the ones to Central Station & Lake MacKenzie you should make ok, there may be a few spots you need to pick a line.

Stock, I'd have to agree, you probably wouldn't make it around Ngala Rocks. I'd certainly drive up there & have a look though.

If you drive a few hours either side of low tide, you won't have any problems on the beaches, just drive close to the wet line where it's the hardest. At the ramps going onto or off the beach, come in with good momentum in 1st low (manual) & give it some lol. Stick to the main ruts and you'll be fine. Eli Creek is pretty good, just do it at low tide right near the water's edge. Main thing with the creeks is to keep slow but steady momentum going through them

Attachments:
20160722_163213-3.jpg
20160722_163213-3.jpg [ 280.74 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:02 pm 

So just back from Fraser and unfortunately I have no pictures that would be of use to you.

The good news is that track condition south of Indian head was pretty good. Lake McKenzie is in good condition except maybe one or two spots you would need to be careful with wheel placement to avoid dropping a wheel in a big hole or ramp over angle to avoid sill damage.

There was one hole in the main east-west track at the central station junction that you would want to watch.

The track from lake McKenzie to lake wabby had lots of root ledges that I touched with my tow ball. Would avoid it mostly because it is frustratingly rough. Watch for possible rear bar damage.

Indian head was a mess with the usuall boards buried in soft sand. At one stage there were three with trailers bogged. Unloaded and plenty of momentum would work if you really wanted to.

Tracks around waddy point had lots of sticks poking out and soft in places. Everyone was having trouble with the hill out of waddy camp ground but there is an alt route via the shop further north.

Hope you have a great trip and post some pics of your forry on the island.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next