Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Fraser Island and Cape York
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:37 pm 

I Say: Hurp Durp
Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Just got back yesterday. Best day ever!!

We camped up at Inskip, then took the first barge over.

First stop was Eurong, then up to the Shipwreck - All easy beach driving. Tide was high when we arrived, but that didn't stop us.

After that, head up to Indian Head, took a few photos at the top, then proceeded to drive up to Champagne Pools. The Indian Head crossing was really soft and we witnessed a fair few 4x4s get stuck and one tour bus. But the Foz just floated above it all, no issues.

Decided to head back south, stopped at Eli Creek for a little gander.
At this point we only had 3 1/2 hours left before the last barge. We thought it'd be fine to do one last stop at Lake Mackenzie because we had some friends with us from the UK and really wanted to show them.

The drive there took a lot longer than we thought, so we had to all run as fast as we could down to the lake, take some quick photos then run back. We would've looked like some weirdos!

The drive to the barge was one of the most stressful situations I've been in a long time.
-Tide was against us nearing peak high.
-Time was against us having only 90 mins to reach the barge from leaving the Lake Mackenzie.
-Petrol was low on both cars.

We made it back to the cars and gunned it back down the tracks. Some points reaching 60km/h. Some solid hits to the sump guard along the way, but generally just a really bumpy ride. I could avoid most holes & branches, but there are the odd few that sneak up to you.

Finally made it to the beach and we had another 40km to go on soft wet sand. Cruising along at 80-90km/h to make it, petrol was below Empty as we came around that final corner to see the barge still waiting at 5:10pm. Made it only just in-time, and had a few beers on the way back haha.

I have 16GB of photos to sort, but will post them through. Unfortunately no photos of the sprint back as there wasn't any time.

Would I do it again? YES!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:16 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

Good to hear you had a successful trip. You deffinetly covereved a lot of the island in a day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:46 pm 

Lets just say that I now have a beach worth of sand on my driveway.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:13 am 

Annnd, this is my bash plate after the dash for the last barge.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:00 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

You must have had a few decent hits. Its a shame to see. Maybe it is a good excuse to explaine to the wife you need a lift?

Better check all those CV boots now and in a weeks time to make sure they are intact. That stick has me a little worried.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:22 pm 

Yeah, it was just a tree root that was scooped up. I'll be taking it in for a good check-over and service soon just to be safe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 am 

Vehicle: MY09 FXTP

Is that just the stock plastic guard?

Just picked up an 09 XTP last week and keen to do some beaches. Not super keen on the sand that will end up everywhere in the car, haha.

Any advice for someone that hasn't had 4x4 experience?

Would be going with some friends that do 4x4 trails and beaches often, but still want to get some info/gear for myself seeing as summer is basically here and the weekends just have beautiful weather lately.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:59 am 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: 97 silver, 09 red Foresters

B-McLeod, sounds like you had an adventure!!! Unfortunately, that is typical of the SubaXtreme sump guard, it's fine for light offroad duties but being CAST alloy (worst decision ever!) it's brittle & cracks easily.

rbimdxe wrote:
Just picked up an 09 XTP last week and keen to do some beaches. Not super keen on the sand that will end up everywhere in the car, haha.

Any advice for someone that hasn't had 4x4 experience?

Hey rbimdxe, wlecome to the awesome world of offroading Subarus!!! :waves:

1st thing to do is get rid of the plastic splash guard, it only protects against small splashes, not deep puddles, & is easily torn off on sand taking the wheel liners with it :o

The SubaXtreme sumpguard is fine for light offroad duties but as you can see it cracks easily if hit. A guy in the Subaru 4wd Club of Vic does excellent 6mm plate ally guards, PM me for details.

Good idea to get some AT tyres, Geolander AT G012 are my favourites (G015 coming out soon), other popular choices are Bridgestone & General Grabbers.

If you're regularly doing 4wd tracks, good idea to lift your Foz to prevent damage. I can help with 1" & 2" lift kits :)

Attachments:
SH XT 2'' JamieH 01.jpg
SH XT 2'' JamieH 01.jpg [ 81.43 KiB | Viewed 120 times ]

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2