Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Subaru 5 States Trip
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:06 am 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: '97 Forester

Roads closed all over the place. Had to drop south through Broken Hill then Hawker to skirt around them. Hopefully back on track soon

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:07 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

PM sent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:30 pm 

paggaz wrote:
Epic trip for the both of you. Best of luck and hope to see many photos afterwards!
Dunno about photos - they were mostly boring scenery stuff - but here's a 5 minute clip of what the Oodnadatta Track was like when we went through, and that was 48 hours after it had reopened. https://youtu.be/-Ktt40qw1qU... Remember our Foz is bog-stock (no pun intended), loaded up for touring and running A/T's as the only concession to the terrain.

Didn't cross paths with Nachaluva's crowd, but I do know that road closures played merry hell with their itinerary as they did with ours (*). Nearest we got was hitting Alice after they had been through (the local Subie dealership hosted them) and seeing one on the highway near Stuart's Well with a windscreen vinyl "PROUD OF BOXERS".

* Spent an extra two days in Birdsville waiting for that track to reopen. (Visited Big Red, and it was boggy as getting there in a 4WD bus. The Big Red Bash, which usually draws about 7,000 spectators, was sensibly relocated to the town oval as that sort of crowd would have got stuck on the track and created a nightmare.) At the same time Marree was full of BRB-ers waiting to come up. When we did get down the track, Marree was still full of BRB-ers - they had been out of diesel for 36 hours. :D :D :D The queue at the sole outlet waiting for the tanker was a sight to see as we rocked up to the ULP bowser. On the right in the pic is just a part of the line - that is the main street and they were around the corner in the side street as well. Glad we don't have an oil-burner. :lol: :lol:

Attachments:
P90946A.jpg
P90946A.jpg [ 84.97 KiB | Viewed 141 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:45 pm 

It's a shame we weren't able to catch up with many people on the trip, we were basically going flat out every day!

Zippo, that didn't look too bad, seemed to be pretty firm. Probably a different story when we were meant to have done it lol. Nice vid!!

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:54 pm 

Nachaluva wrote:
that didn't look too bad, seemed to be pretty firm.
Yep, it was. There were a couple of sections on the BV track that were NOT firm. Tended to use 2L and a small amount of throttle and let it dawdle through. A couple of times it went sideways and took a bit of re-pointing and added pedal to get to the other side. Between Lasseter's Cave and Docker River was a series of boggy holes that were unlike that section in the last two years - normally extreme corros with just the odd wet patch. Got some saved video somewhere of that area.
Quote:
Nice vid!!
Quality camera, as you can see by the label. :)

Currently tossing up between going SLS or a temporary lift at the rear to keep the aft clearance up to level spec when tripping about. But as it's only a once-a-year thing the SLS is more attractive as it saves the switcheroo.

BTW was quite impressed with the Yokie GO12 A/T's. They sing a bit on hotmix but ride and handling were good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:23 pm 

Sorry to be hijacking NL's thread. Found a couple more dashcam video clips I'd saved.

This one https://youtu.be/U136yS9mfRk shows part of the section between Uluru and the WA border, in the part between Lasseter's cave and Docker River. Note how the road suddenly "widens" as traffic heads up onto the bank to keep clear of the mud/bog. This stuff often doesn't have a firm bottom, being just that red Pindan all-day stuff.

This is more of the same stuff, same area. https://youtu.be/ERsxBBguGb0

On the run down the Birdsville Track, about halfway to Mungerannie, the track turns westwards. Lots of water pooled on the track had caused it to be closed for several days, and not just this section. This https://youtu.be/a5AOPt5KdH4 is just one example of what it was like a couple of days after the rain stopped, and 24 hours after the road was reopened. In many parts you can see the water lying on the adjacent land.

Yes, we were taking it easy. Any faster just covered the Foz in more mud ... :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:21 pm 

And this is what the corrugations were like for 90% of the track in to Rainbow Valley, NT. Gives the struts a real workout.

Attachments:
Rainbow_Valley_corros.jpg
Rainbow_Valley_corros.jpg [ 97.87 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:36 am 

Zippo, we did the Docker River Road on 22/6, not sure how long after it reopened that was. Still plenty of bog holes to skirt around.

Those corrugations in to Rainbow Valley are pretty severe, at least it looks like the RHS isn't as bad. It's nice when you can manouver a bit!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:04 pm 

Nachaluva wrote:
Zippo, we did the Docker River Road on 22/6, not sure how long after it reopened that was. Still plenty of bog holes to skirt around.
We were about three weeks later. We had holed up in Alice waiting for it to be reopened. The relevant authorities seem fully occupied keeping track of what's open and what isn't, they don't seem to carry any history.

Ah, so that magic few km of blacktop at Docker wasn't opened when you were there, and you would have been on the side(goat)-track?
Quote:
Those corrugations in to Rainbow Valley are pretty severe, at least it looks like the RHS isn't as bad. It's nice when you can manouver a bit!
The "better" side seemed to change every 100m or so, and swapping all the time got old very quickly. That was probably the only bit in our 12,000km that I wouldn't do again.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2