Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: 2" Lift Kit
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:35 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

That gives me a raging hard-on

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:50 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

When you do the large lifts, do you space EVERYTHING down from the car shell. Basically like a forester de-lift but in reverse? So basically space the shell up from every crossmember, and drivetrain mounting component, and suspension mounting component. Do you drop the gearbox and engine crossmembers down from the shell aswell? If so, what do you do about the steering link, and the front LCA joint, and the driveshaft center bearing carrier, shifter linkages etc. (Im basically thinking full forester spacer delete, but in reverse.) How far do you go with it? Or how far can you go with it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:48 am 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: 97 silver, 09 red Foresters

haha thanks!

Yes, everything has to get spaced down with a big lift. The biggest I do is a 4.5" Monster lift kit. So the strut top spacers are 4.5" (lifts the car 4.5") with 2" body spacers under all the crossmembers. So engine, gearbox, diff, tailshaft centre bearing. The steering knuckle & engine pitching stopper have to be extended. The LCA rear bush gets spaced down but because of the loads on it that one is steel with cross bracing between the blocks to stabilise it. The front bush is on the engine xmember so it just gets lowered with that. The rear trailing arm spacer has gone through 4 evolutions to get it to where it is now. I reckon it looks great plus it's mega strong with good crossbracing (the bolts have a tendancy to snap without the bracing on bad designs because of the severe lateral loads on them whenever you hit a pothole etc)

SG Forester & GD Impreza of course have more spacers for the front subframe. The biggest I do for the rear multilink models is 2", one day I'll work on a 4" lift for them but that means 4" subframe spacers which would need substantial cross bracing

When you do your Forester de-lift (unlift? Lol) it's a bit more complicated because you have to replace some of the crossmembers with built in spacers & the trailing arm brackets for Impreza or WRX ones. Can't remember what you do for the steering knuckle but I know that needs to be changed. In a way this is simpler because everything is kept stock (except for the steering knuckle & engine pitching stopper) & just spaced down.

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:24 pm 

Interesting. I guess if you space everything the exact same amount you wont run into mismatch problems like alot of people do with forester driveline swaps or forester de-lifts. As you know everything is a match to begin with.

With the steering knuckle for SG, on a de-lift, you simply get a GD STi joint. I would be keen to see how you extend the joint when lifting further? (Unless of course a trade secret.) Reason is with the SFs when also changing steering racks etc, you need to get creative with steering knuckle as the splines on the column and rack change between the generations, so if your doing a rack swap you end up with the course splines at one end and the fine splines at the other. So are forced to then swap the columns aswell or build custom steering knuckles. So if there is an easy and safe way to modify the knuckle, id be interested in how its done.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 pm 

I haven't done it but apparently you can pull apart the bearings in the knuckle & swap over the uni joint from another model.

I use a spacer when I extend my steering knuckles, but there's a special way I do it so I don't really want to share the pic.

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:18 pm 

A few nice pics that a customer sent me. All the way from TRANSYLVANIA!!!:

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/UyXDHR]

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/Uw2d9q]

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/Uw2dKL]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:07 pm 

Some pics of a few customers' cars. These ones are all SG Foresters with a 2-2.5" lift:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:11 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

Nachaluva wrote:
A few nice pics that a customer sent me. All the way from TRANSYLVANIA!
Sh1te, is it the picture or me? Those tyres look like low-budget retreads!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:27 pm 

zippo wrote:
Nachaluva wrote:
A few nice pics that a customer sent me. All the way from TRANSYLVANIA!
Sh1te, is it the picture or me? Those tyres look like low-budget retreads!

Haha, yeah BFG KO2s are very "low budget" lol. Great tyres, bit overpriced, very tough LT construction & excellent for offroad in clay, gravel, rock, light mud but heavy & not great on wet bitumen. Big improvement over the KO, esp with noise & onroad grip

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 7   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7