Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tire choice - Need a bit of advice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:22 pm 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: 97 silver, 09 red Foresters

Haha good timing lol. I'm a big fan of Geolanders for onroad/offroad performance

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

Post subject: Tire choice - Need a bit of advice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:24 pm 

I Say: If a bear sh*ts in the woods...
Vehicle: MY09 XT - Obsidion Black

dr_washington wrote:
B-McLeod wrote:
whitfoz wrote:
Be-mcloud if you like your sand driving you should really wait for a buy4 for the price of 3 deal on Yokohama ats. They are THE sand tyre in my opinion.

Funny you mention that!
http://www.bobjane.com.au/tyres/special ... 4-and-suv/

Any pics of them on an SH?

Just had some 215/70R16 Yoko ATS put on my SH yesterday.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/MYXbP0U.jpg[/img]

Mate your foz has transformed since I saw it last! Nice man. Where'd the powdercoating happen? And, are you coming along to the beach cruise with the fozwa guys?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:35 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Flacky wrote:
Mate your foz has transformed since I saw it last! Nice man. Where'd the powdercoating happen? And, are you coming along to the beach cruise with the fozwa guys?

Cheers! Still got your old grill on it too :P

I went to Pinjarra Powdercoaters, they did a great job and much cheaper than a lot of other places I got quotes for - ended up getting 5 wheels done for $350. Tim at PP went out of his way to make it easier to drop them off and pick them up outside of business hours.

Definitely coming to the beach cruise, can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:05 pm 

I Say: If a bear sh*ts in the woods...
Vehicle: MY09 XT - Obsidion Black

dr_washington wrote:
Flacky wrote:

Cheers! Still got your old grill on it too :P

I went to Pinjarra Powdercoaters, they did a great job and much cheaper than a lot of other places I got quotes for - ended up getting 5 wheels done for $350. Tim at PP went out of his way to make it easier to drop them off and pick them up outside of business hours.

Definitely coming to the beach cruise, can't wait!

Nice man! See you then!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT Luxury

Hey guys,

I'm also looking currently for a new set of more AT tyres for my late SG XT.

Has anyone had any issues with insurance/the law with an increase in tyre size from their placard? Reading up on this link (here in SA anyway) says that the total tyre diameter must not increase more than 15mm in total, which the size up voids

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport- ... -and-tyres

My placard says 215/55/r17, changing to a 215/60/r17 (Yoko Geo AT S after reading this thread) increases the total diameter by 21.5mm :roll:

Any input would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:14 pm 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: 97 silver, 09 red Foresters

16" is a much better size for offroad. Gives better grip on gravel roads at highway pressure & when aired down, it bags out better. Also less likely to puncture as there is more give.

215/65/16 (686mm) is slightly smaller than 215/60/17 (690mm) and is closer to the +15mm diameter of 683mm. I don't know of anyone who has had legal issues with their Subaru from fitting slightly bigger tyres, it's usually the big 4wds that are targeted, fitting 35s lol. But that's something you need to decide

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:53 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Not sure about the more grip on gravel roads, but technically yes more when bagged out

But you could argue a 17" road tyre with less sidewall strength would bag better than a 16" LT AT tyre

Horses for courses, we really aren't jumping a huge range in tyre size for it to be clear cut (unlike going from 28"s to 33"s for example on my old 4wd)

Next on the list - Silicon intake hoses/Kap Catchcan/Grimspeed AOS/VF46/Retune -> Lift & 225/65/17 D697s

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:50 pm 

Thanks for the advice Nachaluva and Bakerboy, appreciate it.

Will have a think and see, not sure how intense my offroading will be (and certainly no river crossings Nachaluva!) so maybe I could just get more road-y tyres and lower the psi for beach runs. Or just cop the 17' tyres with a slightly more AT tread.

That is until I yearn for a lift kit, then I'll come back and ask again :drinks:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:37 pm 

Quick update for those who are looking to do similar mods.

Purchased 5 of the Yokohama Geolander AT/S's in 215/60/R17 size for my 08 XT (one size up from the 215/55/R17 stock) for the price of 4.

They look super great! Even if its just the more aggressive tread. Plus no scrub on full steering lock either with stock suspension

Only issue I had was the spare tyre well...

An increased diameter of 21mm can be hell for the spare tyre, it didn't fit after trimming back foam and trying to force it in.
Had to panel beat my tyre well a fair bit, professionals could do a much quicker and neater job too. There were three problem areas where the curve of the well was just too tight. After a few hours it does fit reasonably well at road PSI pressure, floor sits around 10mm higher than it should but with the boot liner it looks schmick

Can't wait to use them now :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:19 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

tripn001 wrote:
An increased diameter of 21mm can be hell for the spare tyre, it didn't fit after trimming back foam and trying to force it in.
Had to panel beat my tyre well a fair bit, professionals could do a much quicker and neater job too. There were three problem areas where the curve of the well was just too tight. After a few hours it does fit reasonably well at road PSI pressure, floor sits around 10mm higher than it should but with the boot liner it looks schmick
That's the main reason I opted to build an outboard carrier for the spare http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=47672&hilit=+spare. The other consideration is access to the spare when you're loaded up and in the middle of nowhere. The idea of unloading all your kit onto a dusty/muddy road doesn't appeal all that much.

Have fun with those GO12's. We did.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next