Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Another rear-mounted wheel carrier (longish story)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:32 pm 

I Say: high and mighty!
Vehicle: MY06 XT CGM

zippo wrote:
Just looked at your location. We were in Bundy for a few days, if the penny had dropped then I might have looked you up ...

:) That would have been a great thing to meet you in person and catch up, pity we missed that opportunity.

My swing-out tyre carrier is also detachable, I only fit it if I do serious offroading and long trips. The main reason to put my spare wheel outside is because my big 30" mud terrain wheels won't fit inside the spare wheel well. The wheel well is now house of my long range fuel tank and dual battery system. I'm also trying to incorporate a jerry can or a toolbox holder in my swing-out carrier. I have this system now and still in one piece, it also pass the outback torture test and not a fail in the weld and structure. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:45 pm 

I Say: I like to breathe underwater ;)
Vehicle: 97 silver, 09 red Foresters

Great idea, well done!

My only concern would be that hinge. I have doubts over its durabilty on multiple trips & over time. However, you've done all the hard work & a beefier hinge wouldnt be hard to fit.

Good stuff! :thumbs:

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset
rear trailing arm spacers; rear subframe spacer kits
CAD designed, CNC machined
LIFT KITS FROM MILD TO WILD!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:21 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

Nachaluva wrote:
Great idea, well done!

My only concern would be that hinge. I have doubts over its durabilty on multiple trips & over time. However, you've done all the hard work & a beefier hinge wouldnt be hard to fit.
The whole thing was a trial I guess, and the hinge was part of that. In my first post in this thread I alluded to a pin system to support the weight in the event that the hinge failed. I had toyed with doing that initially but time sort of ran out and it didn't happen. The amount of play in the hinge post-trip is the same as it was prior to starting but there is certainly scope to fit something beefier.

When I was doing engineering I considered structural but settled on elec. One legacy from that is my ongoing interest in structural design, and I have a (bad) rep for over-designing most things I go near. SWMBO has given up saying "does it need to be that big/strong/heavy (delete as applicable)?" and now just looks on with just the occasional rolling of eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:50 pm 

Nachaluva wrote:
My only concern would be that hinge. I have doubts over its durabilty on multiple trips & over time.
Just revisited this thread (looking for something else) and saw that again. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it was an area of uncertainty when we built it.

Since the original trip, this wheel carrier has done two more "out there" trips with some pretty severe corrugations. 2015 included some QLD goat track stuff and the NT bit Cape Crawford through Roper Bar and west to Mataranka, as well as the Great Central Road from Ayer's Rock to Laverton again. 2016 included Strzelecki Track, Tibooburra-Noccundra, more outback Qld, Birdsville and Oodnadatta Tracks and that GCR yet again - our favourite shortcut.

That hinge is holding up superbly. One more similar trip is scheduled for later this year, and I don't expect to need to change anything.

I know this whole matter probably fits ORS better, but after having tech content censored and deleted by a mod with a "different point of view" I simply don't go there any more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:20 am 

I now know how severe & car destroying those corrugations are, I think if it survived them the tyre carrier is good!

saggy bum spacers; 1" HDPE lift kits; 2" laser cut lift kits with camber & caster offset

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 pm 

Vehicle: Gt forester

Thanks for the write up i copied your carrier but changed it to suit a Haman Recce tow bar. I also have a recovery point under the base for snatching lge 4wd's out of the sand :lol:. I also have double latches just in case and i shove a post up the T piece it turns into a seat or table for making lunch. The hinge i used has a nylon bush so it won't rattle and i used a rubber bump stop to keep it all firm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:01 am 

yarney wrote:
Thanks for the write up i copied your carrier
Glad I inspired someone. :drinks:
Quote:
I also have double latches just in case and i shove a post up the T piece it turns into a seat or table for making lunch. The hinge i used has a nylon bush so it won't rattle and i used a rubber bump stop to keep it all firm
I went for dual latches, wouldn't have it any other way. But I was averse to any bushing material like nylon etc as the grit out where I use it can cause a fair bit of wear if it can get in there - and hanging out the back in that dust vacuum is a permanent swirl of dust. But I like your "post" idea! :thumbs:

So have you actually used it outside the backyard? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:45 am 

Very nice! I like how it sits in close to reduce the distance the weight is hanging behind the diff. Only thing I would have done differently is angled it so it sits even closer, plus be out of the airflow a little more.

I like the recovery attachment point. Is that a standard hitch you used to build upon?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 pm 

Nachaluva wrote:
Only thing I would have done differently is angled it so it sits even closer, plus be out of the airflow a little more.
That's a bit of a challenge. (There's a tad under 1" clearance on mine with the steelwork all square.) If you angle the wheel forward this impacts the vertical member, pushing it back in the design - I hope that makes sense. In any way (in my case) I set mine up for highway tyres but needed to allow clearance for the wider tyres I fitted later.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:22 pm 

Vehicle: Gt forester

I have used it off road it works well

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2