Change font size
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: SH on Coilovers - Brisbane
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:48 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Hi QLD members,
I've got a weird request - I'm wanting to go for a spin in an SH on coilovers to see if it's worth doing on my XTP. I'm on MY08 STi struts/springs at the moment and they're starting to squeak a bit and just generally feel a little old. I still have my stock SLS struts which I can revert back to if need be, but I'm weighing up my options with a pregnant wife due NYE - I need something a lot more comfortable.

My options are:
Revert back to SLS - cheapest option (also remove the Whiteline RCA which is absolutely killing the NVH)
Upgrade to coils, will need good valving and a softer spring rate, closer to factory. I'm eyeing off the MCA street series but that's $1800 down the toilet.
Sell the SH and upgrade to an SJ XTP/tS

I'm southside brisbane, happy to travel to either north/south coast or meet halfway somewhere. Should only take 10mins to get an idea of comfort and NVH.

Post subject: Re: SH on Coilovers - Brisbane
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:56 pm 

I Say: What goes around comes around
Vehicle: MY12 S-Edition Forester

I never understood why people put wrx struts on Foresters. But my question to you would be what do you want to use the Forester for?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:01 pm 

The STi struts are slightly different - stiffer spring rate than WRX but they bumped them both up in MY11+ anyway. They are cheap, I paid $150 for the set and only the fronts need to be modified (if swapping in the STi struts, the WRX are bolt on). The forester is and will continue to be our primary car and with a newborn on the way, needs to be comfortable. At the moment it's firm and the NVH took a massive dive when I put in the Whiteline ALK and RCA kits, of which only the RCA kit remains installed but that will be removed if I swap to coils or stock SLS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:36 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Have you considered Pedders or Tein springs with Pedders, KYB or S-Edition shocks? This would lower the car about 30mm, improve handling while keeping most of the stock comfort.

Edit: Keep in mind that there is a massive difference between one set of coilover and another set - even if the same brand.

Lastly, given the car is your primary family car, coilover could get you defected if you get pulled over.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:44 pm 

jonp wrote:
Have you considered Pedders or Tein springs with Pedders, KYB or S-Edition shocks? This would lower the car about 30mm, improve handling while keeping most of the stock comfort.

Edit: Keep in mind that there is a massive difference between one set of coilover and another set - even if the same brand.

Lastly, given the car is your primary family car, coilover could get you defected if you get pulled over.

I'd probably go with S-Edition just due to the bolt on aspect and given they should be relatively cheap. My OEM front left shock was clunking around which is why I went looking for some STi take-offs and I wanted it lower as well. I don't mind the height (or lack thereof), it just needs to be comfortable again. I'm still toying with the idea of an SJ, there was a cracker of a deal in Noosaville but that's already been snapped up. tS models are very appealing, just can't justify the extra $$ for some interior trim/19" wheels and Brembos - but boy do they look great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:01 pm 

Vehicle: Back in a Holden..

JamesMR_ wrote:
jonp wrote:

I'd probably go with S-Edition just due to the bolt on aspect and given they should be relatively cheap. My OEM front left shock was clunking around which is why I went looking for some STi take-offs and I wanted it lower as well. I don't mind the height (or lack thereof), it just needs to be comfortable again. I'm still toying with the idea of an SJ, there was a cracker of a deal in Noosaville but that's already been snapped up. tS models are very appealing, just can't justify the extra $$ for some interior trim/19" wheels and Brembos - but boy do they look great.

Sounds like youre as keen on the TS as i am

Have you looked into the cost of buying an XTP and adding the STI bits?

The breaks and wheels are no big deal for me, but I love the exterior and interior styling

There was a guy selling near new front seats for like $600 not long ago ( are WRX / STI seats interchangeable from the same gen like they are with the previous gen going into SH's? )

The shifter and shifter boot, pushbutton start, grille and front lip are the other main differences, which i guess can be bought to replace the standard gear

( was the one in Noosaville the low km 2016 white XTP advertised for low 30s? ) - that came and went pretty quick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:06 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

It is a shame the Ts came with the same engine/turbo as the XT. A tune gets it to only about 140-150atwkw. They could have at least made it the same as the WRX which gets closer to the 200.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:36 pm 

Vehicle: Back in a Holden..

jonp wrote:
It is a shame the Ts came with the same engine/turbo as the XT. A tune gets it to only about 140-150atwkw. They could have at least made it the same as the WRX which gets closer to the 200.

Yes its a big shame

If I was going to extend the budget to buy one, id probably prefer to extend just a touch more and get a 2013/2014 SQ5, which is a genuine performance SUV with all the trimmings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:46 am 

Yeah the white one in Noosaville was as you describe - 2016, low kms and $32k-ish from memory. It went in about a week, slightly annoying because we were in Caloundra when I saw it so we could have easily made the drive up there to view it.

If I bought an XTP - I wouldn't touch it. If I bought a tS - I definitely wouldn't touch it. It has everything on it to make me happy and keep the wife happy with a comfortable car, something which our primary vehicle must be. Considering we'll be driving it everywhere, it makes sense to have all the bits and pieces, just hard to justify the cost over the XTP which is effectively the same car, sans the 12937129032 STi badges but has the sunroof to make up for it.

jonp - do you know of the differences between the XT & WRX motors? I thought they were identical, just with a different tune. The tS in Japan has a higher kw figure even with the CVT box. I know we get the de-tuned versions and need to limit torque figures when going for more power, but wasn't aware that the WRXs can get near 200kw?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]