Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Port Douglas recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:17 pm 

I Say: Embrace the Grind
Vehicle: Regal Blue 05 XT Lux manual

hi fozfam
I'm going to Port Douglas in May. Will be doing a daytrip to the reef and spending at least a night in the Daintree . Any other family friendly recommendations on things to do?

Post subject: Re: Port Douglas recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:47 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

There is a brewery:-

https://www.hemingwaysbrewery.com/

I haven't been there, but it's a brewery so enough said.

---

The "government maintained track" bush walks in the Daintree are pretty spectacular and worth seeking out if you like rainforests.

(Obviously you'd have no chance making your own way through dense jungle if there is no track.)

---

Mossman gorge is pretty spectacular and worth the time.

https://www.mossmangorge.com.au/

It's probably a solid half day with some admin involved (eg park at the visitor centre, pay for the minibus ride through the Aboriginal community) but it's worth it.

---

There is some sort of Discovery Centre in or about the Daintree too. If you're pressed for time and the kids lack patience/endurance that might be the kids' cup of tea (incl going up the multi-level tower to see layers of canopy). The bushwalks through and around there are a bit more beaten up by foot traffic than the more unspoiled ones around the place.

---

The seaside/cliff-side drive north from Cairns is pretty good, even in a rental car.

We came back through the tablelands just for something different, but that was typical dry bushland compared to the exotic green coastal stuff and mostly not worth it.

I have no comments on the "autobahn conditions potential" of a rental Camry on a dead-straight bit of tableland road with miles of visibility and not another living thing around.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]