Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Invidia q300 CBE MY15 FXT In Perth
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:40 pm 

Vehicle: MY15 XTPrem Black

Just wondering if any of you guys could shoot me some quick answers to these noob questions. I got a new ftx premium which has now done 1000ks and considering getting q300 fitted at $1350 supply and fit.
1. Anyone have that exhaust here? (So far, limited to hearing it on youtube...)
2. Is it the kind of exhaust that is going to get 'Police Attention' due to noise?
3. Is there any Dept. of Transport etc paperwork I should get done re 'modifications'?
Cheers guys

Post subject: Re: Invidia q300 CBE MY15 FXT In Perth
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:08 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT Manual Dark Grey

1. I've got the TBE system on my XT10 manual. Not quite the same as your proposal, but you're more than welcome to have a listen.
2. I've had mine for over a year now, and been past a few cops with no issues. The accelerator really acts as a loud pedal, on light throttle it's actually quiet.
3. If you get pulled over and don't have the engineering cert then I reckon it's an automatic yellow sticker. I don't know if the Invidia system would pass the noise test to tell you the truth, but that's just my opinion. You have to apply to the DoT BEFORE making the mod's and they will normally feed back if they reckon it's going to pass or not.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:52 pm 

Hi Fez
1. Thanks for the offer. Have now ordered the q300 CBE so will see how I go.
Believe it is fairly quiet (for a CBE) from the limited info I can find online (92dB?); OK for California which seems to be quite strict (Granted Califonia is not part of WA!) . Tried to get as much info onine as poss; eg N1 considerably louder and quite a few FXT 14/15 owners have moved 'down' to the 'quieter' q300.
2. Good to hear. With the XT CVT it should be fairly easy to use light throttle and only open it up 'when safe to do so'..... ;)
3. Did you go with the DOT paperwork before your TBE (may I ask?). Installer who has ordered the q300 for me reckons its a bit of a run around with DoT and 'should' be OK and as far as he knows nearly all his customers don't bother with the paperwork? I guess worst case scenario is I get stickered and have to put over the pits and if it fails due to dB and I have to replace stock? (And move to California LOL. Prolly cheaper than Perth these days!). I would *hope* everything else (all stock) would pass as it is a brand new car!?
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:45 pm 

1. I believe the Invidia system is probably the less "noticable" of the aftermarket systems. Having said that, my Foz isn't a daily driver - I typically only drive it once or twice a week. If it was a daily, I would have to do something to make it quieter now that I'm on old fart. :lol:
3. I didn't attempt to get the system approved by DoT. I had intended to, but when filling out the application form, you needed to submit it before the mod's were conducted so I just left it. I'm basically taking the same approach you mentioned. If I do need to go over the pits, then I'll put the stock system back - costing a few hours and inspection fees.

Part of the attraction of the Foz is that it's a bit of a sleeper, but when I'm full throttle everyone knows about it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:36 pm 

I may be entering old fart territory too (?48yo) lol but I am putting it down to mid life crisis that I want my daily drive to have a bit of a 'note'......!
Yep, I am enjoying the 'sleeper surprise' now and again. The 2015 doesn't even have the bonnet scoop so the odd 'quick' take off is fun, especially next to a V8 :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:17 am 

Just remembered that there's an insurance element to wonder about as well. The guy down at the local DoT agency was telling me the story of someone who had modified their car without the necessary DoT approvals.

He was responsible for a smash with a Transperth bus, then his insurance company refused to cover him as he was driving an "Illegal" car. Not sure if true or not....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:10 pm 

I Say: Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition WR Blue

Contact your insurance company and let them know about your mods.
I'm with SGIO and I don't think there was any increase in premium from memory - but mods are now listed on the policy, so if I'm involved in an accident there should be no surprises.
I don't have a DoT cert ......... figured that I'd worry about that if I ever got stickered.

Exhaust system on my SH9 is based on a Phat_GT dump, stock mid pipe and HKS mufflers that aren't crazy loud. Just enough to make me smile. :)

Phat-GT - Perrin RSB - PW Verticooler - HKS ES Premium - AVO Castor Correction - Liberty Brakes - Pedders Springs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:12 pm 

Yes, told my insurer in writing and got written reply confirming ok to add that exhaust and no increase in premium.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:53 pm 

Vehicle: MY16 XT

Tommo91 wrote:
Yes, told my insurer in writing and got written reply confirming ok to add that exhaust and no increase in premium.
Cheers

How do you find your exhaust note ?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]