Change font size
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: HP/F tune
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:54 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT premium

has anyone here done a horsepower factory tune?
they are located in SE melb. just wanting to see if anyone has gotten their tune done and if they had any problems with it.
considering getting my SH tuned thru them.

anything i should look out for?

http://www.hp-f.com.au/category/subaru/ ... r-xt-my03/

thanks

Post subject: Re: HP/F tune
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:02 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

The website looks like a clone of MRT Performance with the big prices to match.

There are much cheaper ways of getting reliable power via a tune and the same/similar upgrade parts (or not including the unnecessary parts).

Watch out if they use Ecutek software to do the tune. My understanding is there is cost involved in the licence and it locks your ECU to Ecutek.

EDIT - obviously my comments from a distance based on 2 minutes of checking their website should be give an appropriate low weighting in the scheme of things.

Last edited by Yowie on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Yup. Mine was tuned there and never had an issue. Its 197kw atw (17psi), gets 9.5l per hundred city driving and has never missed a beat (VF52, Process west tmic and TB exhaust)
They just reflash the stock ecu on the SH.
Would happily recommend them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:53 am 

Vehicle: S-Edition

There is also comsic performance in SE as well. Thou i haven't had a tune from them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 am 

At the end of the day I personally would only use ‘Got it rex’. They just do Subaru’s 99% of the time and very well renowned.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:55 am 

Vehicle: '16 Forester tS

Yowie wrote:
The website looks like a clone of MRT Performance with the big prices to match.

There are much cheaper ways of getting reliable power via a tune and the same/similar upgrade parts (or not including the unnecessary parts).

Watch out if they use Ecutek software to do the tune. My understanding is there is cost involved in the licence and it locks your ECU to Ecutek.

EDIT - obviously my comments from a distance based on 2 minutes of checking their website should be give an appropriate low weighting in the scheme of things.

That is the unfortunate thing with EcuTek. It locks the ECU and you can only access it with EcuTek then after that. No other options other than removing the ECU and having it re-flashed with the stock Subaru mapping and start over. With EcuTek you get charged a licence fee for each new car they have to tune. I think after that if you go to the same guys for a re-tune you might not pay it again. Very expensive considering what is available Opensource.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:58 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

ECUtek does do things that alot of open source cant do. They have pretty impressive flex fuel and motorsport features.

I think the intial buy-in is a little bit rude. But at the same time i can totoally understand. ECUtek has done alot of work cracking the software and they want profit from it. And then the workshop that is the agent for ECUtek will want profit for his time/dyno. Neither the workshop doing the work, or ECUtek operate as a charity. They are in buisness and want profit.

And locking the tune is pretty annoying for an end user. Bit i dont have a problem with it, aslong as they are happy to unlock it and revert to standard (for free) should you decide to use another shop.

People bitch about the price of ECUtek tunes. (Somewhere around $1.5k i think initially) Yet will happily spend $2k on a SS exhaust which is probably made in china or taiwan. Or $400 on an CAI, which is a piece of tube with an airfilter on the end. Or spend $300 on a silicone intake etc etc etc. And the stupid part is, the tune is the single most important piece of the puzzle. If there is one thing you really ahould spend money on. Its the tune.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:13 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT premium

Tobyo wrote:
Yup. Mine was tuned there and never had an issue. Its 197kw atw (17psi), gets 9.5l per hundred city driving and has never missed a beat (VF52, Process west tmic and TB exhaust)
They just reflash the stock ecu on the SH.
Would happily recommend them.

thanks for the feedback. i have been looking at getting my SH tuned as i recently got a TB exhaust fitted. Did u end up getting the process west CAI when you got it tuned? I have been looking into the CAI and still debate on whether a KN panel filter on the stock airbox will be sufficient. I guess the CAI will give it a nice HISSSing sound when boost hits but is it worth the $$ if i only get minimal gains..
can anyone here vouch for the CAI and the benefits of getting it installed?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 pm 

Every single tuner said its a waste of money. Its already CAI from factory and any aftermarket one is not in a sealed air box. K&N filter just means less filtration. Unless you are looking at big Hp, uttetly pointless.. but sounds good.
The Process West intake is a larger diameter and must have a retune. The COBB uses exactly the same as OEM diameter.. but its ally air box is a giant heat soak and I was getting 75deg intake temps sitting in traffic.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 am 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

I know everyone has different reasons but...

If you have a subaru that is untuned and you dont have a relationship with a place/tuner in play... I cant help but say I think Tobyo is speaking truth....

Got it Rex, specificly Warwick who would be doing the tune, works on Subarus non-stop.... If you do something often enough you are undoubtedly going to be better at it than others who spread their time over many.

People send Subaru's from all over the county to be tuned by Warwick. Might be saying something :dontknow:

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next