Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next Level TMIC cooling - Spray & Fan - Build thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 am 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

whitfoz wrote:
Back in the day. People would claim using a 10mm spacer under the intercooler mounts helped.... maybe you have room to space your cooler up to fit a fan?

I believe process west or plazmaman do water to air for wrx.... if you like stock location and trottle response...

Or co2 cooling instead of water?

The SH does not allow for intercooler raising..... hence the clearing of space underneath, my intercooler is very thick, so it takes up a lot of space, great for cooling though.

I was considering the Co2, but cost would be an issue, plus there are a lot of stories about the intercooler splitting due to the quick temp changes..... so many variables.....

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:20 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

That's exactly what I also was pondering. The thermal shock on the cores would certainly stress it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:44 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

This example of a fan & shroud setup for a drift car intercooler may be of general interest:-

https://motoiq.com/turbo-3-rotor-20b-ma ... monster/4/

(see 1st picture)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Likewise - setup on my old MR2. Twin 11" SPAL fans and they moved a **** tonne of air up and out of the engine lid. That's at the bottom of Mt Glorious after a solid run through the twisties and you could put your hand on all IC/intake piping without burning. There's something to be said about having good quality air flow through the engine bay. Those fans were loud though and connected to the ignition - so they were always on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:18 pm 

Vehicle: MY16 Ts

Heat is always your enemy

MY 09 XTP http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20872
MY16 Ts http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54905

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:03 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

I have been slightly distracted with life, so this project has had a bit of a break.....

BUT in the meantime I have installed a Down-pipe blanket...... and I have to say, very happy with the results.

1) Less noise from engine bay - unexpected, yet in hindsight - obvious..... Better noise from rear even with an STI high flow resonator.
2) Less heat - although I have the down-pipe ceramic coated, the addition of the blanket has made a notable difference, in that the engine also takes longer to heat up to operating temp - which was a big surprise, heat is now been blown further down the exhaust - difference in exhaust noise.....
3) Slightly better responsiveness, I already have wrapped & ceramic coated headers, blanket & ceramic coated up-pipe, turbo blanket and ceramic coated exhaust housing. Adding the down-pipe blanket has given a feeling of faster spool, hence power earlier in the acceleration - LUV IT !

The cooling fan on the TMIC is still on the work list, I have bought a SPAL & Davies Craig fan controller, just need some time for install !

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

I've had a down-pipe blanket (Perrin) for a while and probably not spent enough time without it to notice the difference.

I can believe the "less noise" and "less under bonnet heat" elements, but the theories on "hotter air exiting the dump pipe faster for power gains" always sounded a bit speculative to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

I was biting my tongue on that one.. The placebo effect can make a big difference and you can see this in action on many FB sites such as FozMafia.
Last night someone asked on a social media site if it was ok to remove the factory heat shielding as it was deteriorating and rattling. All the comments were along the line of “yeah, didn’t notice any difference”.
No one wrote “Yeah Nah, don’t do it mate, you’ll loose a heap of spool, less responsive and noisy”..

Last edited by Tobyo on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:04 am 

Vehicle: JDM SF STi Pure White

Well, yeah, but then again, people do coat and wrap their headers and uppipe for power gains. And wherever one might read about turbo blankets, there's always at least a mention of better performance due to more gas flow. And just from a physics point of view i kinda can get behind wrapping the hot snail and whatever is before it leading to some - if even minute - power gains.

Downpipe though...hm...no clue, to be honest. I have some doubts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:11 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

It is also changing seasons. Going from 30-40c days to 20c days. That could easily explain any performance gains

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 41 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next