Change font size


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Posts: 1328
Location: Brisbane
Trimmed-down version of the information on page 26 of my build thread as follows.

Superpro 24mm front swaybar installation

Superpro 24mm front swaybar - what's in the packet?

The swaybar, some poly bushes, some silicone grease and some instructions.

Image

Image


Installation

Overall this is pretty easy from a DIY point of view. It took me a few hours one evening during the week plodding along.

Please note that YOU are responsible for checking this again after 1000kms (including bolt torque). The Gregory's manual notes repeatedly that "the manufacturer recommends using new self-locking mounting nuts when installing the stabiliser bar links"


1. Get the front of the car up on wheel ramps. Installing swaybars with the suspension sitting normally is very important. Also, take off the plastic under-tray.


2. Remove this Crossmember Support Plate. A breaker bar and some WD40 made the job easier.

Image

Image

Image


3. Undo the swaybar ends of the end links. An allen key is essential. a ratcheting ring spanner makes this a lot easier.

Image


4. Undo the bolts on the bracket bushes and remove the old swaybar.

Image


Note the Pedders bushes and brackets on mine. The width difference meant my Pedders brackets wouldn't work with the stock-width Superpro bushes.

Image

I had some stock brackets on hand for this job.


5. Bolt the end links onto the new swaybar and let it hang there

Install loosely at first.

Image

Image

Before you send letters pointing out that I stuffed up by bolting the driver's side on the back hole and the passenger's side on the front hole - I did this deliberately to get a sense of a genuine 24mm front swaybar (rather than the equivalent of a bit thinner on the outer holes or the equivalent of a bit thicker on the inner holes).

According to a Flatirons Tuning youtube video, you can do this so get an interim/middle setting on swaybars with multiple hole option. Since nothing incorrect would be allowed on the internet, it is a handling fact.

The stock end links are pretty strong-looking and flexible as to how they sit, so it also seems workable to me in practice.


6. Grease up the supplied bushes and install them on the bar

Inside and outside surfaces. Splits facing forward seems to be how my two examples came off, so I repeated that with re-installation.


7. Clean the OEM bush brackets and install them over the bushes and on the bar

Install loosely at first.

Wipe off excess grease that oozes through on tightening up.

Image

Image

The above photos are shown after bolt tightening. I'm not 100% happy with the bush distortion shown. It seems to be a result of the bend in the bar occurring quite close to the edge of the bush. Perhaps the bar wasn't 100% central on initial installation either.

Something to check when I next stick my head under the car (to re-check bolts torque) and in general - eg for early bush wear/cracking.

EDIT - the bar seems to have centered itself with the effect that both silicone bushes are a bit distorted on the outside edge. Not ideal. perhaps a few mm could be sliced off the outside of the Superpro bush to reduce the issue if it's worth fixing (eg if it causes a premature failure of the bush).


8. Reinstall the Crossmember Support Plate

Install loosely at first.

Image


9. Tighten all bolts per torque specifications

According to the Gregory's manual:-

End Links 38Nm / 28 ft lb
Bush Brackets 40Nm / 29.5 ft lb
Crossmember Support Plate 60Nm / 44.3 ft lb

I used Loctite when re-assembling. The lubrication (while wet) might have affected the apparent torque according to the torque wrench.


10. Re-install plastic under tray.

(self explanatory)

_________________
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54775


Last edited by Yowie on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:39 am 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Posts: 1129
Location: Sydney
Thanks for the write up Yowie.

_________________
2011 S-Edition SWP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:55 am 
User avatar

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Posts: 1807
Location: Mealbun Orstraya
This is really well written. For some reason I always thought the front bar was a mamoth task. Could you also please do a write up on how you keep the underside of your Forester so clean.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:56 pm 
User avatar

I Say: Ozfoz Courier Service - Newcastle Office
Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Posts: 1678
Location: Newcastle
Tobyo wrote:
This is really well written. For some reason I always thought the front bar was a mamoth task. Could you also please do a write up on how you keep the underside of your Forester so clean.


Photoshop does wonders..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
My Build

~Team DGM~

216kw


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Posts: 1328
Location: Brisbane
Alternatively for the gentleman with no skills; night-time photography with budget work lights on a phone camera, then compress the images.

My gearbox-to-front-diff seal leaked for over 12 months FFS (recently rectified). It isn't a clean underbelly :lol:

_________________
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54775


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:29 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Posts: 2464
Location: S.E. Melbourne
Nice work and excellent write up!

I’ve got the same front sway bar and found quite straight forward to install. And adding locktite will make the torque setting requirement lower.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Current: '09 SH9 XTP (click)

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:04 am 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Posts: 251
Location: Australia
What's the consensus on the 24mm swaybar compared to the stock 21mm?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Posts: 1328
Location: Brisbane
JamesMR_ wrote:
What's the consensus on the 24mm swaybar compared to the stock 21mm?


Copied from build thread comments:-

Starting suspension setup.

As a reminder, this was the starting point to which I added the new front swaybar:-

Stock height
Stock wheels
Bridgestone RE003 tyres
WHITELINE Adj Rear Swaybar 22mm (middle setting)
WHITELINE end links (lock nuts added) OEM end links
2009-model rear struts (thicker springs than 2008)
rebuilt upper ball joints on rear control arms
Superpro upper and lower subframe voidfillers (rear)
Superpro replacement front lower control arms (2014+ WRX) for more caster
Pedders front swaybar bushes on stock 21mm front swaybar.

With all of the above I wasn't happy with the way the front end would lean over and get nervous during high-speed sweeping corners.

----

Handling after

In lower-speed tight corners the turn-in is noticeably better, but perhaps with a tiny bit more understeer.

For rapid left-right-left through traffic calming the front of the car is much more decisive.

For high speed sweeping bends the front stays much more level and stays on the intended line rather than understeering. It's much more confidence-inspiring.

Overall the handling envelope seems to be bigger, with the shifting balance from oversteer to understeer in certain circumstances being eclipsed by that overall better handling.

All testing so far has been in the dry.

_________________
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54775


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:29 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Posts: 251
Location: Australia
Yowie wrote:
JamesMR_ wrote:
What's the consensus on the 24mm swaybar compared to the stock 21mm?


Copied from build thread comments:-

Starting suspension setup.

As a reminder, this was the starting point to which I added the new front swaybar:-

Stock height
Stock wheels
Bridgestone RE003 tyres
WHITELINE Adj Rear Swaybar 22mm (middle setting)
WHITELINE end links (lock nuts added) OEM end links
2009-model rear struts (thicker springs than 2008)
rebuilt upper ball joints on rear control arms
Superpro upper and lower subframe voidfillers (rear)
Superpro replacement front lower control arms (2014+ WRX) for more caster
Pedders front swaybar bushes on stock 21mm front swaybar.

With all of the above I wasn't happy with the way the front end would lean over and get nervous during high-speed sweeping corners.

----

Handling after

In lower-speed tight corners the turn-in is noticeably better, but perhaps with a tiny bit more understeer.

For rapid left-right-left through traffic calming the front of the car is much more decisive.

For high speed sweeping bends the front stays much more level and stays on the intended line rather than understeering. It's much more confidence-inspiring.

Overall the handling envelope seems to be bigger, with the shifting balance from oversteer to understeer in certain circumstances being eclipsed by that overall better handling.

All testing so far has been in the dry.


Cheers. Reckon the stock end links are up to the task?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Install front swaybar on SH9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:37 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Posts: 1328
Location: Brisbane
The stock end links (both ends) are made of steel and look pretty good to me.

The rear stock links have been doing well on the thicker rear swaybar for some time.

"watch this space" in terms of longevity of the front stockers.

_________________
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54775


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
"Takka LE" for phpBB3