Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Arduino project to scale Steering Angle Sensor output
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:11 am 

Vehicle: MY00 SF5 - MY04 SG9 STi

This is amazing, I love a good Arduino project :thumbs:

hired-goon wrote:
If anyone knows of an ACC-switched power source that doesn't cut when cranking this could be an alternate solution. I also considered using a relay and capacitors to bridge the crank power gap

I'm not familiar at all with the SH, but if it's anything like the SF/SG then when the key is in cranking position, B+ power is disconnected from ACC momentarily:

The other thing you could do is just use constant B+ power for the Arduino and set it to power-save/standby mode when ACC is not detected (after a reasonable period of time).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:57 pm 

Vehicle: JDM SF STi Pure White

robbith wrote:
set it to power-save/standby mode when ACC is not detected.

I haven't looked through the code or the specs for the CAN-Shields, but the whole thing is probably using less than all the other thingamabobs in the car that are constantly on. So i wouldn't really bother with that.

What i think OPs issue is, is the fact that the Arduino gets powercycled when the car cranks. The whole thing "booting" when the car is already on might take enough time to make the car not see the steering angle sensor and throw a faultcode. Which is solveable by connecting the arduino to a constant power supply.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 S-Edition Marine Blue

Phrewfuf wrote:
robbith wrote:
set it to power-save/standby mode when ACC is not detected.

I haven't looked through the code or the specs for the CAN-Shields, but the whole thing is probably using less than all the other thingamabobs in the car that are constantly on. So i wouldn't really bother with that.

What i think OPs issue is, is the fact that the Arduino gets powercycled when the car cranks. The whole thing "booting" when the car is already on might take enough time to make the car not see the steering angle sensor and throw a faultcode. Which is solveable by connecting the arduino to a constant power supply.

Indeed that is the problem. The Arduino needs to be booted up and transmitting within a few moments (possibly less than a second) of ON otherwise the VDC detects a fault and disables itself until the engine is switched off again. I considered leaving it on full time but opted for switched power to ensure I didn't run it low. I haven't done any consumption calculations other than ensuring my circuits were of a sufficient size.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:46 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Having an ACC power supply stay active while cranking is easily done with 2 diodes. One on ACC and the other on IGN. (Or crank) That way power can be taken from both circuits to give you a feed that is on at ACC, IGN and CRANK, but the diodes stop the circuits back feeding and crossing.

You could probs buy the diodes needed for a few cents.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:06 am 

That's the exact solution I'm using at the moment in lieu of an ACC switched signal that doesn't cut with cranking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:53 pm 

Vehicle: 2004 MY05 XT - Blue

Love seeing these kinds of projects. Great work. Any other plans for the arduino in the car?

Sent from my X9079 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:14 pm 

Not myself.
I used this to solve a specific problem and it works perfectly, I haven't given any thought to doing anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:27 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

HiredGoon and others,

Has anybody done the OEM possible solution by swapping the SH Forester VDC unit to the 2015 STI VDC unit, therefore matching it with the rack?

This QUOTE 'option I considered was swapping the SH Forester VDC unit to the 2015 STI VDC unit, matching it with the rack. I decided against following this due to a few factors, the first being the prices quoted from wreckers for VDC units were $350-$400, plus the uncertainty over if it would be compatible with the rest of the Forester sensors and systems. I couldn't find anyone who had done this swap.'

Cheers Al

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2