Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Mishimoto compact catch can (crank case) on strut tower (SH)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:24 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Nice work :ok:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:37 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

The following diagram (?) is my suggested routing, adapters, sizes, etc if you discard the OEM F-piece and replace it with an off-the-shelf 1/2" T-piece:-

Please note:-

(a) The "19mm to 13mm" adapter looks a bit big in the photo because I didn't have a true "19mm to 13mm" adapter handy. Read the notes, don't worry about the scale in the photo;

(b) Apart from the indicated sizes, the actual hose and fittings material & shape is up to you. The picture just uses some leftover bits I had. Personally I would use metal catch can fittings. Also, if the "kink" in the OEM 16mm to 13mm adapter doesn't work for your routing then try a shorter straight 16mm to 13mm adapter (metal or plastic);

(c) If there turns out to be some value in an OEM-sized (6mm) restrictor in the pipe to the turbo inlet, sorting that out will be the trickiest part of gathering the parts for your hose-and-adapter setup. If anyone knows of a simple solution that doesn't require a lathe please post it in this thread.

(d) the pieces of gravel are optional.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:01 am 

The following diagram (?) is my suggested routing, adapters, sizes, etc if you USE an OEM F-piece:-

Please note:-

(e) even though the cardboard still says "6mm restriction", obviously you don't need that with the OEM F-piece;

(f) if you think your catch-can is enough of a restriction, drill out the 4.8mm hole in the "fat end" (19mm ID) of the F-piece so that it is more-or-less free flowing. I don't think it matters if it's identical to the inside diameter of a connecting hose;

(g) obviously you'll need TWO "19mm to 13mm" adapters (one after the blue plastic elbow, one before the F-piece). My lack of spares is letting the diagram down a bit;

(h) I haven't actually tried routing hoses in the engine bay with a 2009+ F-piece and/or the "kinky" OEM 16mm to 13mm adapter. A quick mockup indicated to me that it could be made to work since you have a lot of room under the intercooler to play with and these lengths of rubber hoses are pretty flexible. Eg the T/F-piece could be further to the driver's side to accommodate the kinky adapter. If you have more cash than patience, perhaps start the job with a few more adapters than you think you'll need and keep your options open for routing. I'd be interested to see pictures if you get something working with either/both of those OEM parts.

(I) obviously don't use a broken F-piece. Also, bears sh!t in the woods and the Pope is Catholic.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:34 pm 

To whet the appetite, here is a few months worth of collected funk from the two catch cans (running E85).

The valve cover breather collection is on the left. It's mostly water, with a layer of butter then a thin/light layer of oil that has settled out on the top.

The crank case catch can contents is on the right, showing less water, then a thick layer of butter, then reasonable layer of darker settled-out oil on top. The oil has taken some time to settle out like that.

Based on the type of rubbish that collects, personally I wouldn't run a "drain back to sump" type of catch can (not on E85 anyway).

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:00 pm 

I haven't been happy with the filtration efficiency of the Mishimoto catch can on E85, even when modified to pack some steel wool around the brass filter (see earlier in this thread).

I think the "butter" was saturating around the side of the steel wool pack and running along the roof of the can (etc.) for a short-cut to the brass filter.

Despite the amount of rubbish caught, there was still some yellow water and oily bits showing up in the intercooler and throttle body hose.

It turns out the non-threaded "dirty air inlet" hole inside the head of the Mishimoto catch can is 12mm ID, which is suitable to be tapped with a 1/4" BSP brass piece.

All the other threads in the Mishimoto catch can are NPT threads. If I had more OCD I would have sought out an NPT fitting and bouth an NPT tap. As it turns out however, BSP stuff is available everywhere and I had a 1/4" BSP tap in my Aldi Gucci Formula 1 tap & die set already, so no need to make the job harder & more expensive than it needs to be.

Also, with the tricky state of world affairs, having US and UK standard pipe threads in the one component is my small contribution to improving Anglo-US relations.

I can't speak for the ebay rip-off versions, but the genuine Mishi catch can is made of an aluminium alloy that is absolutely beautiful to work with in the machining sense. The thread cut into this like butter.

The hardware fits back in with plenty of clearance (now omitting the steel winged piece that used to hold steel wool just around the brass filter):-

The enlarged hole in the baffle plate needed to be enlarged further (then again after this photo was taken) to accommodate the new brass protrusion:-

It's easy to be clever in hindsight, but why don't these catch cans ship in this configuration in the first place?

As seen through the drain plug hole - all packed in neatly (apologies for bad focus).

As you can see, there is perhaps 25mm depth (after the thick base is taken into account) below the baffle plate in the Mishimoto "Compact" catch can. As such, probably no good for prolonged circuit racing (without a large drain hose below it anyway) but fine for a daily-driven road car when drained fortnightly.

All back together with fresh clear PVC hose on the dirty and clean sides. The (hopefully now reduced) amount of rubbish sneaking into the clean side will be visible without pulling things apart.

The vinyl hose goes yellow and brittle in this use - especially on the dirty side, however it is cheap and readily available. Cutting fresh hose when disassembling the catch can for cleaning every year or so is not extra trouble.

A lower maintenance option would be fuel hose on the dirty side or indeed for all hoses.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:00 pm 

Vehicle: JDM SF STi Pure White

Wouldn't it be possible to use transparent diesel rated hose for this?

From what i reckon, diesels are required to have a clear fuel line in the engine bay in some countries, because some bellends thought it'd be a good idea to run their cars on cheap heating oil. Those might be rated for petrol aswell.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:27 am 

Good tip and worth looking into - especially for those who prefer "set & forget".

OnlineProfile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3