Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Roof Rack Delete SH9
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:49 pm 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

Roof rack Delete;

This is in my build thread (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28684) but thought its probably a good idea to post here also.

These were all tools (& knives) used (only need one phillips head though), funny enough the butter knife was used the most out of the lot.

If you’ve ordered the U.S kit you’ll also need some good glue and at least four 10mm bolts. You’ll also need some storage space or a bin to put just about all those black clips.....

I started at the rear, removing these 3 screws, then the SRS tab (with the sharp knife which slides straight under the edge) Then remove the bolt under this with the 10mm socket.

Push the side part of the rear seat forward (be careful not to break the rear seat adjustment button) and remove the screw to release the two sections of the rear cargo area which can then be pulled from the side of the car (need to pull fairly hard).

Then remove the rear roof handle by pulling the handle down & popping the plastic covers off with the sharp knife, they come off super easy. I was trying to use a flat head screw driver at the start but a sharp knife is way better. Once you’ve undone these screws the handle will still feel like it’s being help in place, don’t pull on it, twist it off. (Repeat this for the front handle.)

Moving forward pop the SRS tab out with the sharp knife again and remove 10mm Bolt.

Once front handle removed (Same process as before) remove the screws holding the sun visor and remove.
The clip for the sun visor is very easily removed by pushing 2 small (I used 2 small nails) objects into the larger gaps on either side at the same time. Will take 2 seconds if you get it right.

Open the sunny tray, remove the 2 screws, then pull down, the whole section will pop out, then unplug the lights.

Remove the centre light by popping the cover off and remove the 2 screws, then pop the whole unit out of the liner then unplug. Basically repeat this whole process for the other side.

When you get to the back you’ll have to remove the middle rear seat belt cover in the roof by pushing the inside section which will come apart (take note of how this comes apart & goes back together because I was a little confused when putting it back together).

Then remove the rear light, this will pop out as a whole unit. At this time unplug the connection (which i think may be for the airbags) which is on your left coming from the top side of the liner (you’ll see it)

Now with the butter knife (for lack of anything better) slowly go around the edge of the liner and make sure it is clear of all plastics and door rubber seals (i.e not being held in place)

After all unscrewed, unbolted & clear from plastics or door seals. Go back to the front and pull out this tab inside where the sun glass holder was which will release the front section of the head liner.

(I would assume that this would be the time you’d remove the Moon roof cover on the XTP)

Now go to the back of the car with the hatch open and put your knife between the rubber seal and the plastic edge of the liner and pry it loose (there are 3 plastic clips that hold the rear part of the liner in. Do this carefully as I broke one.

Make sure the front seats are as straight up as they can be & if you’ve got the standard seats fully raise the head rest ( you’ll see why soon)

Then get in the back with the rear seats folded down grab the edges of the liner and carefully pull down slowly and the plastic clips on the top side of the liner (which you can’t see) will slowly pop free and the liner will feel completely free but it’s not! So don’t try and pull/push it out the rear of the car just yet. Rest it on your fully extended front seats and get out of the car.

Remembering the wire that you unplugged at the rear of the car which was running over the top side of the liner. This is taped to the liner all the way done to the front passenger side so you need to remove one side of the tape to free it, don’t pull the tape completely off because you can reuse this.

Then go to the drivers side of the car and free the wires, for the centre light & forward lights, which run through clips attached to the top of the liner.

Its now completely free and can be removed through the back hatch.

Now moving onto the bolts holding the rails on, remove all of these with your 10mm spanner, you DO NOT have to touch anything to do with the Air bags.

Then the last one towards the back needs to be removed with the 10mm socket easy! (don’t seem to have a pic of this one) Now outside the car lift the rails straight up and Bingo! They are off. Grab all the little black plastic seals from all bolts and holes on the car, they will help re-seal the holes in your roof!

Now 2 incomplete black strips are left on the roof of the car the bigger one you slide forward, this comes off super easy.

The front one is another story, I ended up lifting from the back and breaking the clips holding it down. Thats ok BUT... If you’ve ordered the delete kit from the U.S you DO NOT want to break the very front plastic clip that is holding on to the top of the blind rivet. YOU NEED THIS FOR THE REAR.

Once all is off good idea to clean out all the crap that is under the rails. I then replaced the clips which I broke (under the front smaller section) Again, if you have the U.S delete kit this is where you realize somethings looking odd! There are only 2 holes (each side, above the front roof handles) that line up for the 4 (2 each side) double black braket/bolts you’ve got in you kit??

Then if you grab the plastic rail strips that will be replacing the racks and rest them on the car you’ll see the little doors (on the strips) which you’d think would line up with these black bracket/bolts DO NOT come anywhere near close to lining up so those little doors on the strips are useless now. Also, you’ll see that there are no more little metal raised tabs to connect the black plastic clips to...... So you cant use any of those clips which have come in the kit because all the original clips are fine to use..... (actually I used 2 of the new ones because I broke 2 of the original fronts)

So now this is where I had to improvise.... Go back to the black tabs on the front small strips which were holding onto the blind rivet, push them out of the rail (this takes some force but don’t break them just push evenly with your thumbs and they will slide out. Once out, do the same thing to the rubber rear ends of your new strips. Now go back to the old roof racks and remove the rear end bolt (this is the only bolt which can be romoved from the racks). This bolt then fits perfectly into the front black rivet clips you removed from the front small rail sections!
Glue these together.

As above Then slide these into the end of the rear strip with the bolt closer to the inside of the car. THIS UNBELEIVEABLY IS A PERFECT FIT and positions the rails like it was made for it I couldn’t believe it. Make sure to measure how far down the strip you need to slide this tab/ Glued bolt so it lines up with the hole.

Then get your four 10mm bolts and sealant, place them in the 2nd & 3rd holes from the rear on both side to seal the holes which are now unusable. Then bolt the black braket/bolts into the 2 front holes (which do line up). Dont have any pics of this.

At this point you can start to clip the new full stripe in place starting from the front blind rivet which you are re-using. Again if you’ve got the U.S kit you’ll see it doesn’t fit as ‘perfectly’ as you’d think, it’s not a bad fit but just not exactly as you expect (the front anyway). I’d be a little concerned if you’ve had the strip painted as you need to twist it a little oddly for it to fit and this may cause paint to crack a little (maybe).

Once this is clipped down from the top go to the rear and bolt down the 2 bolts (one each side) that you glued, now reinstall everything in reverse order. Then your done.

It sounds & reads worse than it was, I'd say it should take about 3.5 hours if you start with everything on hand.

Any questions feel free to ask.

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:45 am 

I Say: My ac is now so cool! haha
Vehicle: MY09 XT AT EDM- SSM on e85

Thanks for the great write up H! I just found the missing step on what we did. :-) So no roof flexing noise when on uneven road?

Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Delete SH9
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:39 pm 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

Hey MFB,

Cheers mate.

What step did you miss? And yeah i havent noticed any difference in the roof noise or flexing at all since doing it.

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

Post subject: for the XTP's
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:04 pm 

Vehicle: MY16 Ts

Ok the procedure that “H-are” has laid down in;
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28684&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=220
Is what you need to do to remove the interior including the roof lining.
Once the lining is out you will need to remove the 3 bolts which hold the air bag inflation system as per the picture below;
Once these bolts are out, this will allow you to get to the last 3 bolts per side you need to take off the rails system as per the picture below;
Now once the rails are off I slid the remaining mid sections off towards the rear and the front sections I twisted and lifted slowly which left the retaining clips intact.
Once the last of the rails stuff has been removed it slid the retaining clips off and let the missus cleaned the gutter with baby wipes and a micro cloth. After that I replace the retaining clips and did the same thing as “H-are” for securing the rear of the blanking strip (using the old forward strip clip and the “T” bolt located in the rails) as per the below pictures;
I then used some of the bolts which held the rails together to fill the holes (along with the old rubber seals and a healthy squeeze of “sikaflex 227”) as you can see in the next photo.
Once this is all done it was a simple case of clipping on the first clip (nearest the windscreen ) and working back pressing down listening for the clips till I got to the rear which I located the rear bolt (along with the old rubber seals and another healthy squeeze of “sikaflex 227”) and tighten.
Once this is done it is a case of reverse order putting everything back.
In the end all we used was;
Collision Catalog - 2009 - Subaru - FORESTER body hardware, roof, exterior trim, roof molding W SUNROOF, Right 1 $62.21
Collision Catalog - 2009 - Subaru - FORESTER body hardware, roof, exterior trim, roof molding W SUNROOF, Left 1 $62.21
Collision Catalog - 2009 - Subaru - FORESTER body hardware, roof, exterior trim, bracket W SUNROOF, Left 1 $13.86
Collision Catalog - 2009 - Subaru - FORESTER body hardware, roof, exterior trim, bracket W SUNROOF, Right 1 $13.86
Everything else was recycled from the parts remove.
Now that all is said and done we would like to thank “H-are” for his great write up,
Cheers Mate
:drinks:

Chris & Venessa

MY 09 XTP http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20872
MY16 Ts http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54905

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:23 pm 

I Say: Live fast, Die young in a nice pair of shorts
Vehicle: OctaviaRS, Pajero, MT09, WR450

Love the look of this but I use my roof racks too much :(

mikthedinosaur wrote:
Man if it makes 280 and is on 20 something psi boost in the 2k rpm range ill be harder than a pedo in a playground

WL FSB/RSB+HDlinks & ALK; X Force dump, STi mid, magnaflow cans; STi/KYB suspension, TS BOV, VF52, PW TMIC, DBA4000s, PB 3 port, Perrin inlet, TH tuned

13.076 @ 170kph

http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27496

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:28 pm 

firstly sorry to hear about your car, I will put some more pic's up tomorrow of what the end result looks like.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 am 

H-are wrote:
Hey MFB,

Cheers mate.

What step did you miss? And yeah i havent noticed any difference in the roof noise or flexing at all since doing it.

Hi H and Rowie!

Thanks to the DIY tutorials and pics you guys put up, my friends foz is now "bald". It was easier for us as we just asked the Foreman at the dealer to do it. The guides you guys put up ensured here would be no surprises. Work started around 930am and was done by 2pm. Service was charged at aud140, expensive or just right? Well that cash would have been used for beer anyway haha

The 4 bolts were sealed by silicone and roof water tested before putting back the liner. I'll go post the pic later on. :-)

Last edited by MFB on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 pm 

Cheers MFB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:48 am 

Here it is mate, taken right inside Subaru :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:30 pm 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

whats so good about this is that it was all done in cement iv's!!!!!

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next