Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: DIY: JDM Climate control into AUDM GT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:41 pm 

I Say: Putting a Chev badge on a commodore is no different to putting an F badge on a Forester
Vehicle: a Patrol

So, you want to put climate control into your aussie Foz? 1 word for you... DONT. However, if you are like me and get motivation from people on the forum saying not to do it, and it cant be done, read on. Be warned, it is alot of work and not to be taken on by people with doubts on their mechanical and electrical (to a degree) ability.

It does look pretty sweet.

First step is to get your hands on the gear required:
  • Climate control control panel
  • JDM Heater box and fan unit
  • JDM Bulkhead loom
  • JDM Front loom
The looms will be chopped up - This is where the fun starts. Starting with the "bulkhead loom", cut away the loom ducting, being careful not to cut into any of the wiring inside. Find the 2 clips that plug into the climate control and start seperating from the rest of the loom. Any wire coming from here needs to be kept, There will be a few that need cutting and splicing in later down the track. Any going into plugs I suggest taking the pins out of the plug, writing down which plug it was and which pole it was in. Diagrams are great here. I think I had 4 that needed repinning into the "front Bulkhead" 1 to be pinned into one up near the Hazard switch and 7 or 8 to be spliced in, and an earth.
Pic to come here.
Once you have split it all up, try and sort out roughly where it should lay in relation to the car and tape up the loom for some form of protection.
Now it gets really interesting.

Post subject: Re: DIY: JDM Climate control into AUDM GT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:42 pm 

I Say: Putting a Chev badge on a commodore is no different to putting an F badge on a Forester

I was fairly slack with photos, but you get the drift.

Take your car to your local airconditioning place and have them reclaim the gas in the aircon system as it is illegal and dangerous to release the gas into the atmosphere yourself

Disconnect the negative terminal of your battery and make sure you drain any residual current in the system by tapping the brake pedal a few times. You now have to remove pretty much all of the interior of your car; take out the centre console (only the bit in the middle really has to come out, stereo surrounds, dash, crash bars, as you can see in the photo it all has to come out.

Once all the good stuff in gone, and your car has cooled down a bit, go to the engine bay and remove the hoses going into the heater core, and disconnect the aircon lines that you have previously had discharged.

with the heater box and fan unit out of the car, sit your loom in place, and cable tie it to the existing loom. You are now ready to start putting it back together. Working in reverse to pullking it out, put it back in, stopping once the crash reo bar is back in.
In the photo you can see where i have cracked the GT loom to splice in the 4 or so wires (to the right of the heater box). All I did was join the like colours.

keep going with the reassembly, short of the actual dash. now is a good time to check your diagram and put the pins into the plugs. taking note of whether or not there are wires coming out the other side. Early GTs will need the addition of 2 wires for the external temp sender.

Last edited by bubba on Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The later GTs will have the wires already, but cutting these will mean you lose your display on the dash. As I am running a later model cluster, I had to run a new sender to the front of the car to keep both in working order. (They are the yellow/black stripe and Orange wires). This is where the front loom comes into it - I hacked away at it to get the sender and wires and ran them along the GT Front loom.

This bit I'm not 100% sure on but I think the later models may have a drama with the A/C compressor not working. The earlier ones have a different setup where the compressor has a 3 pin plug on it which is the same as the JDM, where I think the later GT has a 1 pin plug... anyone with a later example confirm this? I know the NAs do - found it out the hard way trying to get it regassed.

Anyways... got the plugs repinned, all the JDM loom plugged into the heater/fan boxes, and wires spliced into the GT loom up the top. Now what is left is 1 earth on the passenger side and an active on the driver's and 2 green with orange stripe near that active (black with red stripe - thick). splice these into the wires near the plugs that are the same as they came out of on the JDM loom. - 1 (thick black and red also) is on the fan relay and 1 I think is the fuse (goes into the fusebox). I also had to ground out the relay as I couldnt get the fan to work - all I did was splice in a negative to the (I think green with black or red stripe). Fan now works.

Last edited by bubba on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Now is a good time to test that it is all working. re-connect your passenger side aribag (I rested the dash top in there just in case).

Re connect the battery, turn your ignition on - dont start it - you disconnected coolant lines remember! and make sure that all the functions work.
The Airconditioning side of things wont work as there is a pressure switch that will detect that there is no gas in the system, but everything else should.

If all is good, continue with the reassembly of your car, then have several beers - you earned them.

Get it regassed and enjoy your climate control goodness!

This took me all up 2 days working most of the day each day... make sure you have workshop manuals (good luck finding one with climate control though, I couldnt), a fair bit of patients and a fair whack of insanity.

The only issue I have at the moment is that when I turn the car off it resets itself, ie not turning on automatically and setting itself at 25 degrees inside temp, must be a constant +ve somewhere that is only seeing switched 12v, still looking into that one. Havent had a chance to have it regassed yet to confirm that the AC side works, but touch wood it should.

Good luck if you try it, happy to help with any questions you may have, and be bloody sure you want it before starting the conversion. In My opinion - the NA to GT conversion was an easier task to do - but this will be worth it once all done :drinks:

Last edited by bubba on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:44 pm 

I Say: So these two chicks were sitting quietly, minding their own business...
Vehicle: MY05 XTL 5MT

And more...

Couldn't care less.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:47 pm 

Vehicle: BNR32GTR GDWRX SF5GT

subscribed :D

Just a lil push off the cliff of procrastination

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:49 pm 

I Say: So these two chicks were sitting quietly, minding their own business...
Vehicle: MY05 XTL 5MT

I'll add that this looks so cool and is a MUCH better system. The wiring is fiddly, but the rest is pretty simple and makes sense if you have a grasp of how the system works (which I'd suggest you get before attempting).

Couldn't care less.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 pm 

Vehicle: SH

Huge fines if your caught releasing ac gas.. Even if you recover and store the gases properly, without a licence it is still a huge fine.

Cant find anything on it in the 2 mins i searched, but it could be the same as disconnecting/blocking emission devices.

Quote:
At the time of writing, these maximum fines have been imposed on individuals and workshops in NSW:
$10,000 for disconnection of a device by an individual
$60,000 for disconnection of a device by a company

The Land and Environment Court has also issued the following fines:
$60,000 for disconnection of a device by an individual
continuing offences: $15,000 to $30,000 per day.

This is out of some information I received from tafe. Dont risk it

sf502 wrote:
group buy on nipples?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:09 pm 

Vehicle: Ver.VI STi. 2014 XV.

OMG! massive congratulations sir bubba! glad to see someone else crazy enough to attempt it. and see, it wasn't that hard was it? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:49 pm 

update...

got the system regassed - works like a charm - AC is soooo cold, love it!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 11   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next