Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Simple Intercooler Spray Set Up
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:04 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

Hi OzFozers,

I wanted to quickly share a little experiment I did for a Intercooler Spray. It basically tapped into the wiper washer, so every time you hit the wiper washers, you also get your intercooler sprayed. Basically uses existing spray capabilities.

Pros:
- Cheap
- Simple
- Very clean Windscreen

Cons:
- Having your windows washed before a run
- Does not look very cool at all
- Need to only use clean filtered/distilled water in you washer.

Parts were from:
- Bunnings - T connectors, taps from the watering section about $10 (two packs of 5)
- Spray nozzle 1/4 circle $5 (pack of 5)
- Supercheap - 2 metered of vacuum hose $10
- Vacuum hose clip (spare one from an old turbo used). 4mm clamp.

Simple, cut into the existing hose, put in the T-Joint and (taps optional) add taps in case you want some options.

Testing my photo ability.......

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

Last edited by nomads64 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Simple Intercooler Spray Set Up
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:13 pm 

The second option was a little better.......

On the Premium XT, they have a separate motor for the spraying of the headlights, the good news is that this is high pressure as it has too push out the spray nozzles.

So I got a used pressure connector, added a 4mm nozzle at the end, then ran hose from it to the spray nozzle I installed in the previous post.

I also had to run some power and ground to the motor, I did this using the fuse taps, ran it to a momentary switch in the cabin, then to the spray motor.

Now I have a high pressure intercooler sprayer.......

Pros:
- uses existing pump
- stop the headlight sprayers (this annoyed me from the start)
- High pressure spray

Cons:
- It is still manual, but a start
- does not spray headlight (I did not want this anyway)
- have to pull the number off to do this.

Total cost: $30
(switch, fuse tap, wiring, vacuum hose)
2 hours in time.

I have been struggling to get photos up, but will try too soon.

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

Last edited by nomads64 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:37 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

On my SF i use the rear window spray. There is a moduel hidden in the boot to disconnect to stop the wipper when spraying. Then i have wired up a switch.

Rear wiper still works just no water to clean it.
I like the sound of headlight motor!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

*cough* pictures?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

How does the car feel once you operate the water spray.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 pm 

Yowie wrote:
*cough* pictures?

Pics UP !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 pm 

Tobyo wrote:
How does the car feel once you operate the water spray.

Not entirely sure - I think it is more peace of mind.

After reading an article regarding the concept of the Intercooler being a heatsink, I typically use the spray before a power run to cool down the intercooler, then straight after a run again to keep the temp down.

Theory :
1) Having it as cool as possible before, allows it to absorb heat during the run - which then gets dissipated and cooled while in motion - air flow and associated evap cooling over it.
2) Cooling after a run to dissipate the heat that is being absorbed, before the next run. Repeat.....

Please note - I have opted for the manual for my roll racing adventures.

As for answering your question Tobyo - I fell that there is a little more pull through the rev range, but this also gives me some comfort that the turbo heat charged air is getting a better chance to cool during some fairly hard runs
1st through 4th revving to 7K (roll racing application).

My next project is to get some temperature monitoring going. although it would be great to monitor in and out temps of the intercooler, I am not sure I want to go to the trouble.

I was also looking at putting in a temp controlled fan..... but need more data before I think this can be viable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:41 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

nomads64 wrote:
My next project is to get some temperature monitoring going. although it would be great to monitor in and out temps of the intercooler, I am not sure I want to go to the trouble.

I was also looking at putting in a temp controlled fan..... but need more data before I think this can be viable.

For what it's worth, I'm currently exploring some bulkhead fittings (eg 1/8" NPT internal thread size) for the OEM plastic intercooler and running two thermocouple probes to it (hot and cold side). eg. http://thesensorconnection.com/thermoco ... ge-display

Another option would be the same bulkhead fittings (or 1/4"NPT as needed) and the thermistor style temp sensors. Eg https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/Pro ... ture-gauge and cheap ebay equivalents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:09 am 

Hi Yowie,

I went down that path a while back, that is great for monitoring and getting the data needed. There are lots of cheap eBay equivalents..... Also considered those until I knew what the final set up would be so I can experiment.

I was looking at more when a certain temp is hit exiting the intercooler, a combination of a fan and sprayer would be triggered until the temps dropped. This means that you can target a particular temp.

These types of switches usually work with ONE temp sensor, which would be the intercooler exit temp.

I even went to the trouble to determine air density by temperature, that one really hurt my head. That is, how much cooler does it need to be to make a difference.

There were lots of variables I looked at, the most important one is the post intercooler air temp, regardless of what cooling mechanism you have, the temp and related density will govern the performance AND reduce any pre-detonation events.

I am still pondering about how useful it will be and whether I want to invest the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm 

Vehicle: JDM SF STi Pure White

Reminds me of that fancy arduino project of Tobyo right here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=58396

Bsically using a microcomputer to measure things including temps pre/post-IC to check its efficiency and firing sprayers depending on how heatsoaked it is.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next