Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 9   [ 89 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY: Replacing SH Forester Nav unit with aftermarket unit
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:11 pm 

Vehicle: 2008 MY09 F XTP

Where is the factory mic placed?

I put mine on the steering column, but I am getting average results with "OK Google" voice recognition

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:17 pm 

I Say: Fozzy fozzy fozzy, oi oi oi!
Vehicle: 2011 Forester S-Edition WRB

booki wrote:
Where is the factory mic placed?

I put mine on the steering column, but I am getting average results with "OK Google" voice recognition

In front of the sunglasses holder on the roof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

I do like the fact the headunit drops the volume when you're in reverse

Next on the list - Silicon intake hoses/Kap Catchcan/Grimspeed AOS/VF46/Retune -> Lift & 225/65/17 D697s

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 pm 

Time for a little update

DAB+ does actually work, I just live outside the reception range. I have an on-glass antenna to fit that I was going to return but I'll probably fit and run it anyway

The pesky "do not operate whilst driving" banner is pretty damn annoying, especially when it happens when using a navigation app, will be grounding that wire for sure

Going to make a couple of adapters to keep factory sub wiring and fit the kenwood unit instead, at least twice the surface area and a decent solid weight to it compared to the stock unit, and it's got a 10amp fuse too so I know the stock wiring should be fine.

Bluetooth has stopped working thing, but I'm not sure why. I think I might order a wifi obd port reader if resetting the unit doesnt work

Next on the list - Silicon intake hoses/Kap Catchcan/Grimspeed AOS/VF46/Retune -> Lift & 225/65/17 D697s

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:29 am 

Where is the factory sub in the MY09 foz? Is it under the passenger seat?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:17 am 

booki wrote:
Where is the factory sub in the MY09 foz? Is it under the passenger seat?

Yes it is

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm 

I don't even know if mines working with my new headunit, do you know how its wired?

Also can anybody recommend a particular reverse camera?

Looking at the Kenwood CMOS-130, but there are heaps of cheaper/chinese ones on fleabay. Anybody used one?

My car doesn't have a reverse camera from factory, so will also need to find where the reverse trigger wire is (other then using a tail light to trigger it) is there one closer to the radio?

Post subject: Re: Replacing SH Forester Nav unit with aftermarket unit
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:01 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 2.5XT Premium - Dark Grey

Gecksta wrote:
...I've also got to sort out the OEM Subwoofer connections. I am seriously thinking Santa should bring me one of those Kicker underseat jobs... I had one in my Diesel Foz and it was great.

I re-thought the above after recalling that the OEM sub didn't ever really impress me and I've gone ahead and installed a Pioneer amplified subwoofer (got it at 50% off at Supercheap recently):
https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/ts-wx120a/

The install of the Pioneer was a piece of cake with the Joying head unit. I routed the cables along under the edge of the driver's side of the centre console (I put them in some 10mm cable tubing, the black ridged stuff). The hardest part was routing the cables up through under the dash, easiest way was to drop/push/jiggle a dummy cable down first and then tape the sub cables to it and drag them up.

The sub-out on the Joying doesn't seem to work so I used the rear-outs on the Joying - it's a known issue on the Joying forum and the rear-outs work fine.

I didn't even need to remove the seat for the sub itself, just slid it forward and back for access and mounted using two small velcro hook pads straight onto the carpet.

I've not changed out the OEM speakers but I previously Dynamatted the buggery out of all my doors (inner and outer skins got a full layer each last year) which made a big difference. The addition of the Pioneer sub has added more than enough power and bass for me, very happy with the outcome.

I got some photos during and after the install so will post them up here soon along with any other lessons learned/pointers not already mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:51 pm 

Gecksta,

I am interesting in seeing some pics of the install and how it is mounted.

Sounds pretty cool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:10 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 2.5XT Premium - Dark Grey

booki wrote:
I am interesting in seeing some pics of the install and how it is mounted.

No worries, will do. The ones I took on my phone are dodgy as, I will get some with a proper camera on Saturday.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 9   [ 89 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next