Change font size
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Light Bar wiring into HID High Beams
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

I Say: When brute force isn't enough, apply more of it.
Vehicle: MY05 XT - Cayenne Red

Howdy folks. Having trouble getting to grips with the wiring diagram for my light bar. I'm a total rookie with electrical diagrams which doesn't help :lol:

Car is an 04 foz xt, and I know the high beams use low side switching on that circuit but I'm having trouble understanding the best course of action to get around it.

This bloke seems to have it sorted but I don't think his wiring diagram works for my HIDs as the circuit for the standard lights is different. However no mention of a second relay to reverse the signal.

This guy seems adamant you need a second relay, but I don't understand his worded wiring diagram, summarised as...

"You can convert a high beam ground signal into a high beam +12v signal using an extra relay and a little wiring. Any generic SPST relay ought to work.

Connect the subaru high beam ground to the - side of the relay coil.
Connect the subaru ignition +12v to the + side of the relay coil.
Connect the D2 blue wire to either one of the relay switch poles
Connect the Subaru ignition +12v to the other relay switch pole."

Should I be using a second relay, or can I follow what Zook did and make it work with the HIDs?

Any help appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Light Bar wiring into HID High Beams
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:42 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

You dont need 2 relays. You just need 1 auto electrician.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:51 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

That second link, the guy has no clue and i would not follow his advice.

Early SG in australia is typically a H4 globe. And it uses a common positive with lights on, and switchs negative to select between hi and low. So for that setup is very easy, find the common positive wire at the plug, wire it to the spotlight switch. Then from switch to the relay 86 then wire 85 back to the high beam negative seitching wire. That is a very basic and typical circuit for spotlights on many japanese vehicles. (Subaru Toyota etc)

Some JDM early SG had HIDs. Now these are a bit different. I havent examined the wiring in great detail as the cars are scarce over here, but i have retro-fitted the JDM lights into my AUDM model. Now the way it works is the HID is always on for both high and low beam. And the headlight assembly has a little solenoid that actually moves a reflector or globe (cant recal exact off top of my head) and as the solenoid moves it changes the focus or deflection of the light and that is what differentiates the hi and low beam pattern.

If your car is like that then you still need to find the power that supplies to the ballast, then wire that to the spot light switch, then from switch to the relay 86. Relay 85 then goes back and you need to locate the negative switching wire for the hi beam solenoid. Simple.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

A little off the side, but when I tapped into the High Beams I used the HB3 Headlight Wiring Harness Extension Cord (Ebay for a few dollars) to splice into and then inserted that between the headlight connector so I wasn't cutting the original wiring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:23 pm 

I Say: When brute force isn't enough, apply more of it.
Vehicle: MY05 XT - Cayenne Red

Completely forgot to get back to you Bram - nailed the issue!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:36 am 

Vehicle: 2007 XT

Hey guys.

I just bought a lightbar that came with a wiring loom that I believe needs modifying to suit my '07 Fozzie.

Does the pic I've attached look right?
The mods look fairly easy to do but I'm shy of cutting it up before confirming it will work.
Attachment:
File comment: Negative Wiring loom
negative wiring.jpg
negative wiring.jpg [ 69.18 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]

Cheers, Al.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:20 am 

That diagram will not make the driving lights work 100% correctly. Infact Its far from correct. The droving lights will not be switched correctly and the indicator light on the driving light switch will be doing all kinds of wrong. And could even be left to run all the time if the driving light switch is on. Reguardless of if the headlights or driving lights (or even ign switch) is even on.

What Id do differently on that diagram is I'd wire the "driving light control switch" differently. First I'd totoally disconnect the purple, yellow and brown 2mm wires from the switch relay and OEM lights circuit.

And instead connect the "12v" found at the original headlight wiring to the driving light switch input. Then I'd connect driving light switch output to relay 86. Then relay 85 to the "highbeam" found at the original headlight wiring. And if the driving light switch has an earth terminal for a indication light/LED, then that must also be connected to "highbeam" found at the original headlight circuit.

If you do it that way, then it will be fine. That is how i wire them proffessionally.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:46 am 

Vehicle: 2007 XT

Ok thanks for your reply.
I think it may be beyond me to do this correctly, Electrickery isn't my strong point!

I'll book it into an auto electrician.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:09 pm 

Vehicle: Gt forester

This is what i used for my 06 xt Forester with hid's and it worked
It was from Ironman

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]