Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: XAV-AX100 install in 2005 SG Forester XS
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:29 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XS - Regal Blue/Silver

Hi everyone, I am looking at installing one of these:

http://www.sony.com.au/electronics/in-c ... /xav-ax100

in my recently acquired 2005 XS. I'm curious as to whether anyone has done this exact project before and if so what hurdles you encountered? I have looked everywhere online and the pictures I have seen make it look like you have to cut the fascia and remove the pop-out cup holder to make it fit. Is this the case? If so is it easy to cut or are there aftermarket fascias that are a better option?

I don't have problem doing the work it's just that I like to go in prepared. I really want a Carplay unit. If anyone has any suggestion on better head units for Carplay that fit the old 6 disc stacker hole for the same price I'm all ears.

Post subject: Re: XAV-AX100 install in 2005 SG Forester XS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:21 pm 

I Say: Embrace the Grind
Vehicle: Regal Blue 05 XT Lux manual

I have a 2 din Joying unit and I suggest getting a dash pod. Much better height for a touchscreen and easier install.
Yes you will need to dremel to fit.
Replace the stock location with drawers.
http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=57414

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:26 am 

Vehicle: MY12 SWP E-EDITION

I have a dash pod and redrilled oem brackets to suit the carjoying head units for sale. $90+postage. pm me if you're interested

Previous Ride: MY04 XT Luxury - JDM STI SG9 Heart/VF41

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 pm 

Thanks guys. I spoke to a guy at Frankies car audio and they reckon it would go straight into the OEM double din spot. I have bought it today plus the two wiring harnesses and I'm getting it shipped overnight so I will have a look over the next few days and let you know. I have looked at the dash pod but I really like the clock and little box on the dash. Is that weird? I will assess it all and consider a dash pod. I have looked at them online and they look pretty flash but then what do I do with the old stereo and double DIN space? I really don't want to leave it there when there's no need for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:20 pm 

replace with drawers . I happen to have 2 single din ones for sale...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 pm 

lefty wrote:
replace with drawers . I happen to have 2 single din ones for sale...

I'll do some googling of the drawers and how they look. I REALLY want to keep my slide away cup holder, no idea why, I just like gadgets. I'll reassess once I have got this HU and see how I go. If I need to do some minor fascia modding I am happy to do it. I'm at work tonight, so what better time to do some research on the dash pods and drawers ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:35 pm 

you won't lose the cupholder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:07 pm 

lefty wrote:
you won't lose the cupholder

Saints be praised. I focus on the dumbest things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:33 pm 

Update: It arrived this morning along with the two harnesses. From memory (I'm typing this from work) it was an APP090 and an APP8SP4. The removal of the dash went smoothly and the head unit went in like velvet. Hooked it all back up and mounted the mic under the windscreen wiper stalk with the double sided tape provided. Ran my USB out into the passenger footwell in prep for a phone holder soon. I found that the stock fascia fitted the XAV-AX100 perfectly however in the coming days I will take it back out and put some spacers (washers?) in behind the mounting screws for the head unit to try and bring it forward by 3-4mm. It sits back in the housing slightly and the volume knob, although still usable is slightly recessed against the fascia. I know it will drive me a bit mad if I leave it that way. Putting some packing in behind it should solve the problem and make the front of the HU sit flush with the fascia. Didn't have to adjust or cut the fascia at all. I don't mind it in the position it is, don't think I will bother with the dash pod. :D

Second update 2.2.18: I packed out the screws with some nylon washers and put the fascia back on but it still sat proud of the face of the head unit and the fascia was much tighter to get on which told me that the fascia was too small for the head unit to fit through. I had a good look and found the inside of the hole in the fascia had a plastic 'lip' that went back about 7mm and was pressing on the very edge of the head unit face. I very carefully dremelled off about 4mm of the lip and it made all the difference. The head unit now sits flush with the front of the fascia. :ok:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]