Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sneaky SG Forester speaker upgrade (Focal PS-165V)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:15 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT - Silver

The Christmas New Year break meant I finally got around to installing the Focal splits I had purchased some time ago, along with some Polk coaxials for the rear doors. Ok so although I’m not reinventing the wheel I thought I’d post some pics and what not for anyone else considering doing this.

I think for people that want to upgrade speakers in their Foz should really consider doing it themselves because in my experience, dealing with car audio installers these days there are two types, the ones that don’t charge a lot but take no care and do **** work, you end up fixing their mistakes, or the ones that do decent enough work but ream you on install cost.

For this job I did some of the prep work in advance to save time on the install, and do a decent job of it. I found various forum threads on this subject highly informative; that saved me time as well.
One thing I wanted to do, something I like doing is plug n play, meaning I can if I wanted, simply unplug everything and swap back to stock speakers in no time, this approach means no wires are cut, oem parts modified, so it took longer in preparation but it’s the way I wanted to do it.

These are the parts I used:

Focal 6.5” PS-165V Components (Front Doors) ($230)
Polk DB521 5 ¼ Coaxials (Rear Doors) ($100)
Metra 72-8104 Front Speaker Connector Adapter ($15)
Metra 72-9033 Rear Speaker Connector adapter ($15)
Both Front and Rear speaker mounting adapter rings ( I bought these online, they had flaws, air gaps between the two ring joined together, had to modify to my liking, should have made them myself) ($60, ripped)
Speaker screws, needed longer ones for door mounting thicker adapter rings) ($5)
16AWG OFC speaker Cable ($20 for 20m reel)
Forked spade connectors from Jaycar for the crossover wires ($10 for various types/sizes)
Tesa Tape (this stuff is awesome, high temp harness/wire loom cloth tape used instead of electrical tape) ($10)
Heat Shrink the waterproof stuff (already had this)
Velcro to mount the crossovers ($10)
Dynamat to reduce vibration around the speaker. ($50)
Old plastic chopping board and ball screws (custom tweeter mount) ($2 shop)

Tools:
Wire stripper
Ratchet crimping tools
Soldering iron & solder
Plastic car audio panel & trim removal tools (highly recommend these, you can buy a 4 tool set of these online for as little as $2, $20 will get you a rather elaborate kit.
Knife, Screwdrivers, plyers, side cutters etc

Front Door

Getting the door card off is easy, there are a number of guides online, it’s 5 minute job, have the windows down to confirm speaker mounting depth. Carefully peel back the plastic film to install the dynamat if you are going to use it.

End result of speaker and crossover installed, I used TESA tape to bundle the wires, it's really good stuff.

As you can see, the main work here is the crossover and where to install it, I decided on the location as per pic, this requires removing the foam block in the door card, but otherwise it is a perfect fit for these crossovers, cut a small square out of the plastic waterproof sheet and mounted the crossovers to the door metal using Velcro brand hook & loop, they aint budging, but can be easily removed, speaker wires can be bundled up with the TESA tape and routed alongside the existing loom.

With the Focal splits they have an abnormal crossover arrangement, whereby they come in two pieces, one for woofer, another for the tweeter, this apparently gives flexible install options, for me, more of a pain, so I left them joined.

Annoyingly, you need to run two power wires for each separate crossover, the easy and best solution was simply use the factory power wire from the woofer, mating the metra adapter to the oem door connector, cutting the tails of the metra adapter and soldering a length wire to the corresponding woofer input on the crossover, then a small loop back across to the tweeter inputs, you can see this in photo. I used forked spades for all the crossover ins and outs, a thicker spade was used for the power input for the two wires to be joined.

The sail mounted door tweeters are the real pain point here, the good news is these Focal tweeters do fit the oem sail mounting location, but the they are too big to use the oem mount, so a bit of customizing is required, you could remove the stock tweeter and chop away up its mount piece to fit the Focal in there, but keeping with my theme and wanting to leave the oem tweeter in one piece, if anything considering the wallet rape prices (was quoted $140 for second hand set with mounts) wreckers charge for those parts I may sell them and make some coinage.

So, I made my own with kitchen chopping board and some ball mount screws, bloody fiddly but it works and allows the Focal tweets to fit but also the tweeter grill to mount to something and hold it in place, as a bonus the Focal tweeter just wedge into the oem grill quite perfectly, they lock in tightly, you could use hot glue if needed, but I didn’t bother.

The Focal 6.5” woofer is a straight forward mount into the oem spot but you’ll need some adapters, cheap enough to buy or make your own, there is a template floating around the web, but the front adapter ring needs to be about 22mm thick for most aftermarket speakers to fit, this left about 5-7mm from the window wound down inside the door, but there is room to move here if needed.

I used a 1.5v battery to confirm speaker polarity, in my 04XT : -

Front left door woofer Brown +pos / Green -neg
Front right door woofer Pink +pos / White with black stripe –neg

You would want to check this yourself in case there a differences.

I also purchased the small pre cut squares of Dynmat ($25 each pair from ebay) and cut to fit to help stop some of the resonance in and around the speaker, I didn’t feel the necessity to go mental with this stuff all over the doors.
Speaker wires were a simple process, I recommend using spade crimps, I measured, cut wires to length x 2, terminated them, did a lot this in advance, so connecting the dots really. Two invaluable tools here, quality wire strippers, and a ratchet crimper, $20 or so each, but you will get a very strong mechanical and electrical connection using those.

Rear Doors:
These were a doddle really, plug n play using the Metra adapter, only issue I had was the factory connector in the back doors were full of goop, not doubt waterproof grease of some kind, but I needed to remove it for good electical connection, air compressor was required here, worked but made a big mess, wear safety glasses next time.

At this point, both the Focal and Polk speakers are running off my Pioneer HU (AVIC-F960DAB), rated at 22w rms, these are high sensitivity speakers so run well off the HU for now, its plenty loud now, the midbass is rather significant over the stock door woofers, when you see the magnet on the oem speakers it’s laughable, but they are lightweight, and that little neodymium magnet certainly punches above it weight, the stockers do sound reasonable with decent amplification it must be said.

The Focal tweeters have two points of adjustment in the crossover, DB and Frequency cut off enabling me to tone down the very bright Focals, currently set middle ground, the HU also has a fair amount of control here as well, but certainly I am now hearing nuances in the music I never heard before when using the stock tweeters.

When I get further motivated I think I will opt for a small Class D Pioneer 4 channel amp (GM-D8604 – 4x100w) about $220, these things pack a punch in a very small foot print, probably will install this under the driver seat. I should also mentioned I previously installed a Focal all in one 8” under seat sub and this really fills the bottom end in nicely without being heard 3 blocks away, so overall I’m happy with the result for now, and importantly look 100% stock and out of sight (except the HU).

Last edited by sneaky on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Sneaky SG Forester speaker upgrade (Focal PS-165V)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:26 pm 

Vehicle: My 04 xt

Awesome

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:20 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT Crystal grey

Good work! Been considering this so thanks for the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am 

Vehicle: MY04 XT - Silver

Nice work. I've got a bunch of stuff sitting at home waiting to be installed, this is giving me motivation.

Would you mind telling us where you got the speaker adapters from? I'd like to avoid if you didn't rate them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:29 am 

Got them from Car speaker adapters - > http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK065 SAK065 is the Forester Front Door speaker adapter.

TBH the adapters are fine, what I didn't like was you can sort of see in the link the its a two piece design, the two rings that form the adapter are screwed together, that's fine but there is a number of small air gaps between the two rings, I wasn't expecting that when I bought them so I filled the gaps with black polyurethane to make it a solid sealed adapter plate, a lot of effort considering the cost of them, otherwise their fitment was spot on, the rears are a simple one piece ring, no problem there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:37 pm 

Vehicle: '09 R36 Passat

Great write up!

Where did you buy the Metra 72-9033 speaker adapter cables from?

http://www.dinography.com.au - Property Marketing
http://www.skysight.com.au - Aerial Drone/UAV Photography & Cinematography

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:43 pm 

Vehicle: 2004 forester

Gday sneaky
Can you explain the polarity check with the battery.
I changed the speakers in my foz but could only guess the polarity cause the speakers aren't marked & i cant find a schematic that is accurate for the speaker wire colours.
Thanks
Greensuby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:25 pm 

PASHN8 wrote:
Great write up!

Where did you buy the Metra 72-9033 speaker adapter cables from?

Yeah I think I wrote a typo with that part number should be 72-9300 for the rear speaker, kind of hard to find but I got it from Amazon, the front Adapter from ebay.

Rear - http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-9300-Spe ... ge_o04_s00

Front -http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Stereo-Radio-Speaker-Wire-Harness-Adapter-Plug-Toyota-Metra-72-8104-SHGM01B-/360500090942?hash=item53ef7ad83e

Just to note you really only need the adapter if you are not keen on chopping the factory connector, though they are convenient it must be said.

Greensuby wrote:
Gday sneaky
Can you explain the polarity check with the battery.
I changed the speakers in my foz but could only guess the polarity cause the speakers aren't marked & i cant find a schematic that is accurate for the speaker wire colours.
Thanks
Greensuby

The Metra adaptors i got had the + - marked on the wires, they proved to be correct for the Forester but to be sure I just used a 9 volt to quickly confirm, connect two wires (helps with alligator clips) one to each of the battery terminals then quickly touch one wire to one speaker terminal, the other wire to the second speaker terminal. The cone is either going to push outward, correct polarity, or pull inward, (for the sake of simplicity) call that incorrect polarity. Obviously once you have identified the speaker terminal you can trace back to the corresponding colour coded wire. Otherwise just use a multi meter if you have one at hand, lastly you should notice anyway if the polarity is messed up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:11 pm 

Vehicle: 2004 forester

Thanks mate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:53 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 - Red

Hey Sneaky great install.

You didn't happen to trace or highly accurately record the dimensions of your chopping board bracket did you? I have the same issue, Sail covers but no tweeter mount/bracket. Unfortunately as you know you need it for the sail cover to sit securely.

I am having trouble locating the part....for a logical price anyway.

Cheers

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next