Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Rear 6.5" Component Speakers Install
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:04 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition Silver

So over the weekend I had a bit of time up my sleeves so I decided to install some type R component speakers that I pulled out of my old liberty into the rear doors of my forester. Just wanted to put up a guide for anyone thinking of doing something similar. I had previously mounted them into the rear door trim on the lib so I've had some practice, however I am no expert so please take care if doing this yourselves.

Now I know a lot of people will argue that resources (time & money) would be better spent on the front doors with better speakers, deadening, baffles etc. but I had these speakers laying around and wasn't going to try and swap them for some similar coaxial speakers. Plus I think everyone in the car should be able to listen to decent quality speakers, whether passenger 2 or 5.

Anyway, the first part is pretty straight forward and there are plenty of guides on here regarding pulling the trim off and sound deadening the outer and inner door. Only issue with the back doors is the uneven mounting area. Wasn't too sure about the best way to do this but I bought some cheap hose from bunnings which I cut to form a gasket (photo below). Flexible enough to form a decent seal, but ridged enough not to reduce the speakers performance. I'll test it once the speakers are amped in the near future. The area I will be focusing on is the measuring and the cutting of the tweeter holes, which is by far the most daunting part.

Once you have the door off, sound deadened and the woofer in (again basically all the same as front doors covered in other threads), now it's time to look at where you want to mount your tweeter. Generally, eye level, not too far from the woofer, but close to the listener is ideal. The tweeters I had came with flush swivel mounts which provides a little more flexibility in terms of location when mounting. Take some pics of them in different locations, work out if the front seats are going to block sound if you tend to have them leaned back most of the time, and even use some tape to mount them temporarily after wiring them up so you can listen to what the different locations sound like.

After sleeping on it, I decided to mount them on the black part of the door trim due to the speakers and mounts being black. In the photo it looks ok, but wasn't sure how black on silver would look in the daylight. Different trims obvs will have different colours, but this is how I settled it.

Now this is probably the part where most people would be turned off doing this for fear of completely f***ing their door trim, but once measured it really is quite simple. I used a ruler as you can see as a guide to where mount should be placed. There is a small ridge that I used as the level for the ruler (1). Once they were parallel, it was as easy as pushing the mount up against the ruler(2), and up against the additional plastic trim of the door handle(3). Once you're happy with where it is, simply use a pencil and run it round the centre of the tweeter mount. I used a knife to cut around the outside of the circle just so it wouldn't rub off mid-cut. There is also a small support ridge that you'll need to trim back.

Next, I used a dremel to cut the circle like a pizza. This helped as I was using a flat piece, and enabled me to work through sections at the correct angle. I worked from the back of the trim so as not to accidentally scratch the interior side when cutting.

Once you have your hole, you'll want to test your mount and see how far off you are. It may be a little, or it may still be quite a lot as was my case. I used a round sanding piece from here to slowly take off the rest of what I needed to make the mount fit, testing it often. The tweeter mounts have a little additional trim around the face of the tweeter to hide any miscuts, so you have a little bit of leeway for mistakes. Once large enough, a decent squeeze and it should pop in. Install the tweeter and screw down the rear section securing the tweeter to the door trim. Easy.

The final step was just mounting the crossover boxes somewhere where they wouldn't get in the way, yet still be protected from any moisture in the door. As you can see, I tucked mine up under the arm rest using some double sided tape. Test the speakers to make sure everything is working as it should. Once you have done this you can remount you door trim taking care to connect reconnect the power windows and the screws.

:drinks: and that's it! Be sure to crank it up and test them out sitting in the back.

I wanted to write this up to inspire some confidence for people who had considered this but been a little wary of hacking up the interior of their beloved foresters.Whole process of sound deadening, cutting and mounting both rear doors took me about 4-5 hours. As long as you take it slow, you shouldn't have any problems. And; worst case, you do mess it up pretty bad, you can always grab a new trim piece from a wrecker :D

Post subject: Re: Rear 6.5" Component Speakers Install
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:23 am 

I Say: Be Excellent to Each Other!
Vehicle: MY02 Forester GT

Nicely done!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:34 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Good work putting up a quality DIY :thumbs:

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:50 pm