Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: HELP PLEASE.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:52 am 

Vehicle: My07 xt white

Hi does anyone know 2009 sh forester (not xt or oem sat nav version, mine it was standard radio) Where is the VSS wiring location? Need this wire for the new headunit. If any know or have wiring diagram please help me out. Thx

Post subject: Re: HELP PLEASE.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:22 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

It doesnt exist on your model.

VSS measurements are handled via the ABS/VDC wheel speed sensors. It is then converted into a digital data message and transmitted along the CAN-BUS network where the ECU and instrument cluster can pick the info out and use as needed.

If you 100% need a VSS signal, then there are a few options. You can purchase a CAN-BUS interface that will extract the data from the network, and output a conventional VSS low side pulse.

You can also purchase a deviece that uses GPS to determine vehicle speed and likewise outputs a VSS signal.

Or you can purchase a device that will tap into one into one of the ABS wheel speed sensors and convert that to VSS.

There is also a company called Rising Sun Subaru, and they have succesfully been drilling out the late model 6spd gearbox case and retro fitting a VSS sensor into them so that people can use that when doing gearbox swaps into older models. They may beable to retro-fit your original box maybe?

And last option is to get a NPN hall-effect proximity sensor and aim it at either your uni-joint yoke on your drive shaft. Or similarily, cable tie some ferrous metal lumps onto the driveshaft so that the proximity sensor can pickup the rotational speed of the vehicle. The NPN output is effectively exactly what a VSS is. But the rate of pulses will probably be far from conventional, so your headunit would need its own calibration to correct it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am 

Vehicle: My07 xt white

Bram wrote:
It doesnt exist on your model.

VSS measurements are handled via the ABS/VDC wheel speed sensors. It is then converted into a digital data message and transmitted along the CAN-BUS network where the ECU and instrument cluster can pick the info out and use as needed.

If you 100% need a VSS signal, then there are a few options. You can purchase a CAN-BUS interface that will extract the data from the network, and output a conventional VSS low side pulse.

You can also purchase a deviece that uses GPS to determine vehicle speed and likewise outputs a VSS signal.

Or you can purchase a device that will tap into one into one of the ABS wheel speed sensors and convert that to VSS.

There is also a company called Rising Sun Subaru, and they have succesfully been drilling out the late model 6spd gearbox case and retro fitting a VSS sensor into them so that people can use that when doing gearbox swaps into older models. They may beable to retro-fit your original box maybe?

And last option is to get a NPN hall-effect proximity sensor and aim it at either your uni-joint yoke on your drive shaft. Or similarily, cable tie some ferrous metal lumps onto the driveshaft so that the proximity sensor can pickup the rotational speed of the vehicle. The NPN output is effectively exactly what a VSS is. But the rate of pulses will probably be far from conventional, so your headunit would need its own calibration to correct it.

Hey mate thx for ur detail explanation. So the car that build in oem sat nav they do have vss sensor fitted on the car right? Subaru wiring PITA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:36 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

No. No subarus from approx 2008 onwards have any VSS.

Infact you will find fewer and fewer modern vehicles have VSS these days. Everything is (already has) moved to smart communications like CAN networks. Many OEM HUs are CAN bus. VW (and others) for example doesnt even have a switched feed at thier HUs. Instead there is a CAN message that tells the HU to wake up and turn on. It makes the cars far more functional, and actually cuts down on wiring. Why have a seperate wire for every function through the vehicle, when you can simply have a twisted pair instead.

But the downside is it makes aftermarket accessory instals extremely complex and difficult. And also makes vehicle repairs alot more difficult and even impossible unless you are equipped with the factory diagnostic tools.

Welcome to the firure.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]