Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: What 6.5" Component Speakers To Buy? - Non Amped
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:34 pm 

Vehicle: 98 N/A 5MT Foz - 82 BMW E28

Looking to replace my front speakers. Fitted 6.5" JBL splits over 5 years ago, but one of them is now cooked.

I don't plan to amp them, even though i know its well beneficial, it seems like too much effort.

What do people recommend?

My Forester Gallery

Post subject: Re: What 6.5" Component Speakers To Buy? - Non Amped
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:30 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT - Silver

I installed a set of Focal PS165, was going to amp them but just haven't got around to it, currently running off a Pioneer AVIC F960DAB HU, @ 4x50w so you are looking at around 20w per channel RMS and they sound really quite impressive considering. If you are running off the OEM HU I think it's pointless to run component speaker, but you really need to look for high sensitivity speakers if you are not going to amp them properly, the 165PS sensitivity is 92.5dB, so around that or higher is what you'll need to go for.

What I like about the PS165 is the tweeter can be installed in the oem sail area without a lot of effort for a factory look, and i'm pretty sure it fits fine in the door card location of the SF, a spacer will be required in the front door for the 6.5" speaker to clear the window but all the oem panels and door card will go back on for the oem look. RRP for the PS165 is $400 but can be found online for around $250 which is excellent value for this speaker set.

Last edited by sneaky on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:35 pm 

I Say: Be Excellent to Each Other!
Vehicle: MY02 Forester GT

I just installed Pioneer TSA 1606C 6.5" with splits in front doors of my 02 Forester and they are great so far.

They have an amp running them and are still fine so from just head unit would have to be ok for decent sounds though I am not an ICE expert.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 pm 

sneaky wrote:
I installed a set of Focal PS165, was going to amp them but just haven't got around to it, currently running off a Pioneer AVIC F960DAB HU, @ 4x50w so you are looking at around 20w per channel RMS and they sound really quite impressive considering. If you are running off the OEM HU I think it's pointless to run component speaker, but you really need to look for high sensitivity speakers if you are not going to amp them properly, the 165PS sensitivity is 92.5dB, so around that or higher is what you'll need to go for.

What I like about the PS165 is the tweeter can be installed in the oem sail area without a lot of effort for a factory look, and i'm pretty sure it fits fine in the door card location of the SF, a spacer will be required in the front door for the 6.5" speaker to clear the window but all the oem panels and door card will go back on for the oem look. RRP for the PS165 is $400 but can be found online for around $250 which is excellent value for this speaker set.

Thanks for the in depth reply!

I have an Alpine HU, which i fitted years ago, pretty sure that has the same 4x50w output.

The PS165 looks like a good option, and well priced! I'll read some reviews on them.

PROVOST wrote:
TSA 1606C 6.5"

Thanks for the info! I'll look into those as well.

My Forester Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:36 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP

Related question regarding the installation of aftermarket 6.5" speakers...

Are speaker spacers required for both front AND rear speakers? or just fronts only?

FWIW I've got an SH Foz.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:43 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT - Silver

Shogun868 wrote:

Are speaker spacers required for both front AND rear speakers? or just fronts only?

FWIW I've got an SH Foz.

Thanks

It depends on the speaker you choose, I'm not sure about the SH but probably the same as the SG which uses both Front & Rear speakers with a very small neodymium magnet. So I'd be nearly certain that any decent aftermarket speaker is likely to have a much larger magnet that will not clear the window mechanism both front and rear, certainly the case in the SG, I used a 5" coax in the rear which needed a spacer albeit quite a small one. In any case, creating an mdf spacer is easy cheap and will give you a more solid mounting point.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 pm 

sneaky wrote:
Shogun868 wrote:

FWIW I've got an SH Foz.

Thanks

It depends on the speaker you choose, I'm not sure about the SH but probably the same as the SG which uses both Front & Rear speakers with a very small neodymium magnet. So I'd be nearly certain that any decent aftermarket speaker is likely to have a much larger magnet that will not clear the window mechanism both front and rear, certainly the case in the SG, I used a 5" coax in the rear which needed a spacer albeit quite a small one. In any case, creating an mdf spacer is easy cheap and will give you a more solid mounting point.

Depth won't be an issue in the SF rear. I pulled the door trim off and the window mechanism, or the window when fully down doesn't go anywhere near the speaker.

My Forester Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:58 pm 

So when installing non amped component speakers in a Foz which already has factory splits installed, do you just replace the speakers and keep the factory wiring or find where the factory crossover lives and replace it too. Do they even have crossovers or not? I’ve got an SJ if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

I used the factory wiring from the stock mid speaker to the crossover and new wires from crossover to mid speaker and tweeter.

OnlineProfile  

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]