Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Connecting aftermarket HU to OEM reverse camera harness
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:28 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 2.5XT Premium - Dark Grey

I’ve been working on tidying up the install of my new Joying Head Unit, JY-UL135N2 – find it here https://www.carjoying.com/. I got mine off eBay to take advantage of the buyer protection. This replaces the Subaru (Kenwood) Navi unit Model # FXDB09MF2.

I have been following clayq’s post to guide me, his post has been very useful along with various other posts I’ve found on the interwebs. Here is clayq’s post: http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=55899

The last thing I’ve needed to do was to hook up the existing Subaru reverse camera. I had considered using the 8 pin harness that clayq mentions (to avoid damaging the OEM wiring) but after looking at the mods needed to get that working I decided I could cobble together my own ‘harness’.

Clayq’s post has the pinout for the OEM camera male harness that sits in the under-dash space behind the head unit. Looking at the harness from the cabin with the harness clip at the top, Top row sockets 1-4 (left to right) and Bottom row sockets 5-8 (left to right) are as follows:

Socket Function
1 Video +
3 [Camera power 6V+]
5 Video ground (shield)
6 Camera detect
7 [Camera power ground]

It’s important to note that the sockets in the OEM harness are the smaller holes, not the larger ones.

This is what I used to make my 'harness':
0.9mm PCB Pins (Jaycar.com.au - CAT.NO: HP1250) – these fit nicely in the harness sockets
3mm 10A single core auto cable
Solder
Heat shrink tubing to suit cable used

Attaching the pins to each cable
Attachment:
File comment: Attaching the pins to the cables
Pin5.jpg
Pin5.jpg [ 271.15 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]

All the additional photos mentioned below are here at my Imgur page: http://imgur.com/a/BdquL
Photo Pin1 – shows the PCB pin alongside the stripped cable
Photo Pin2 – shows the PCB pin inserted endwise between the wire strands on the cable, just push it in up the raised shoulder on the pin
Photo Pin3 – shows the pin soldered into place and the heatshrink tube placed well back from the hot end of the wire (slide it on before placing the pin)
Photo Pin4 – shows the heatshrink after it is slid over the soldered joint, slide it up to the shoulder on the pin
Photo Pin5 – shows the finished pin with the heatshrink after shrinking

Fitting the pins to the harness
Attachment:
File comment: Finished locked harness
C.Locked harness.jpg
C.Locked harness.jpg [ 137.46 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]

All the additional photos mentioned below are here at my Imgur page: http://imgur.com/a/BdquL
A.Fitting pins – shows the fitting of the pins to the appropriate sockets on the OEM harness, some needle nose pliers will help avoid bending the pins, they can bend
B.Fitted pins – shows all the pins fitted
C.Locked harness – shows a small cable tie wrapped tight around the pinned cables and another cable tie wrapped around the first tie and through an opening on the OEM harness to stop the pins working loose

All in all I think I took about an hour to do this and very happy with the result.

Post subject: Re: Connecting aftermarket HU to OEM reverse camera harness
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:09 am 

I Say: Fozzy fozzy fozzy, oi oi oi!
Vehicle: 2011 Forester S-Edition WRB

Nice :thumbs:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]