Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Fixing original Subaru wiring harness for head unit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:08 pm 

Vehicle: 98 GT

Hi guys,

I'm seeking some advice on the best way forward on a wiring trouble I have on a 98 GT, before I sink time and frustration into a tedious job.

Tl;dr: i want to install a bluetooth head unit. the original Subaru head unit wiring harness has been cut off and re-wired. looks like I have to undo that wiring and re-do it. Or is there another way around it? Should I find and re-attach an original set of Subaru head unit sockets?

Longer version: i recently acquired the GT. Enthusiastically I got to work on installing my newer Sony HU with Bluetooth. After removing the old one, I find the previous guy who changed head units cut the Subaru wiring harness off and re-stuck all the wiring (as opposed to using an adapter i.e. aeropro) for an old Alpine CD player HU.

I tried the easy way out by buying a newer Alpine HU with Bluetooth - hoping i could leave the current wiring and just plug the new HU in - only to find the newer models have a different 16-pin arrangement. ****! (Should have checked..)

So now it seems I'll have to bite the bullet and bugger around with redoing all the wires. If I do this, I figure I may as well set it right and re-attach the original Subaru plugs (wrecker?). Plus it may be easier..

Does that plan make sense, and would that be relatively straight forward? I.e. just match colours of original wiring to replacement Subaru harness? Or is there a better way I'm not seeing?

Hope that makes sense. Cheers

Post subject: Re: Fixing original Subaru wiring harness for head unit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:17 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Do not bother trying to re-join in the original subaru connector. You are never ever going to re-use an original subaru radio. So its an absolutely pointless exercise and a waste of time and money trying to do it.

Instead, get the wiring pigtail that comes with your new unit and simply join that in place. Its probs about a dozen wires or so. If your not confident/equipped in doing it yourself, then take it to an auto electrician. Its about an 30 mins work to do it neat and to a nice standard if you have the HU out and exposed. (Or about 45-60 mins if you get them to do the full HU install).

You could even ask them to terminate an ISO connector in there and then purchase an ISO to *xyz brand headunit* adapter if you wanted to not have to re-cut and join in the future, should you change head units again. But thats added expense and you have the added trouble of then trying to jam in extra plugs and wiring behind the head unit. (Which is probably why the original connector was cut off on the previous instal.) Trying to fit multiple plugs, joins and connections behind a radio can be difficult. And multiple plugs, joins and connections is not really needed either. You only need the one plug behind the unit to unplug it, should you ever do maintenance in there. 2 or 3 sets of plugs in a row is bulky and more likely to cause you trouble.

Although if your semi handy, then it should be a very very easy DIY. If you look at the colours on the new pigtail, vs the one thats currently joined on. All the colours should match up (if the one in there now was installed correctly.) You may have 1 or 2 additional functions on the new unit that arent on the old one. But they will be fully explained if you read the installation manual that comes with the new unit.

Post subject: Re: Fixing original Subaru wiring harness for head unit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:44 pm 

Vehicle: 98 GT

Cheers Bram for the common sense.

Popped into bunnings this morn for a connector strip and wired it up in parking lot before work. As you said, easy DIY.

The thought behind putting original Subaru plugs back was for that ISO terminal (I've always used the stock plugs with that config) but obviously not necessary.

Glad to have some tunes again :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]